T Nation

Smoking Outside Buildings Banned

To end this argument I will say:

Let me drive drunk, near a school, when children are walking home;

and I’ll let you smoke all you want around these same school children.

Deal?

We should defend liberties.

Smoking is not a liberty.

Seriously. I hate cigarettes but will smoke a cigar once in a blue moon.

What I hate about our society is this snooty self-entitlement attitude to taking offense to ANYTHING.

Have you seen people cough and grab their noses as they walk by smokers? And they claim it’s because the smoke actually DOES bother make them cough. Outside? Really? Bullshit, you fucking attention whore.

We are not talking about smoking in a nursery.

Let the smokers smoke. So what? Don’t like the smell as you’re coming up on a group of smokers, smoking in an open area?

MOVE AROUND THEM.

Yes, second hand smoke is harmful, IF you have the immune system of an infant and if you are being rocked in a crib in the middle of a poker table, in a basement, with all players puffing away.

Just like this bullshit about cell phones causing brain cancer. Yes, they MIGHT cause cancer…IN A THIRTY GRAM MOUSE, who, during the ‘research,’ basically absorbs 100s of times the amount of radiation that humans do, because of their size and I bet because they were left in a bin of cell phones, each turned on for HOURS a day, pressed against the critter.

I had a long talk with my physics professor about this. Hilarious how stupid our society can be.

Guess what else does not cause cancer, yet, since the 70s, we’ve spent almost $25 billion trying to prove/disprove? Power lines. The energy output is nowhere near sufficient to cause biological damage to tissue.

i wish they did this shit in cali! pain in the ass walking wayyyyyyy around people smoking, i think if you want to smoke go into a fucking room with a buncha other people smoke n enjoy your lung cancer together in harmony

[quote]PonceDeLeon wrote:
MOVE AROUND THEM.
[/quote]

No.

My liberty of fresh air is paramount and I will defend this with all my power!

Stop infringing my liberty, arsehole!

You want to get people to quit smoking?

Double the cost of cigarettes. Find out everything, every gov program they are opposed to, equally distribute this new margin to these programs, and send a record of the contribution, monthly, to the smoker.

Wow. Just Wow.

I’m done arguing.

When everything else becomes illegal, I’m jumping the border to Mexico.

PS. Don’t think its going to end at smoking. Its only a matter of time before your favorite mom&pap’s restaurant gets shut down because they use saturated fat OMG!!!

Double the cost of cigarettes. Find out everything, every gov program they are opposed to, equally distribute this new margin to these programs, and send a record of the contribution, monthly, to the smoker.[/quote]

HAHAHA!

That’s been tried.

What I hate about our society is this snooty self-entitlement attitude to taking offense to ANYTHING.

Have you seen people cough and grab their noses as they walk by smokers? And they claim it’s because the smoke actually DOES bother make them cough. Outside? Really? Bullshit, you fucking attention whore.

Let the smokers smoke. So what? Don’t like the smell as you’re coming up on a group of smokers, smoking in an open area?

MOVE AROUND THEM.

Yes, second hand smoke is harmful, IF you have the immune system of an infant and if you are being rocked in a crib in the middle of a poker table, in a basement, with all players puffing away.

Just like this bullshit about cell phones causing brain cancer. Yes, they MIGHT cause cancer…IN A THIRTY GRAM MOUSE, who, during the ‘research,’ basically absorbs 100s of times the amount of radiation that humans do, because of their size and I bet because they were left in a bin of cell phones, each turned on for HOURS a day, pressed against the critter.

I had a long talk with my physics professor about this. Hilarious how stupid our society can be.

Guess what else does not cause cancer, yet, since the 70s, we’ve spent almost $25 billion trying to prove/disprove? Power lines. The energy output is nowhere near sufficient to cause biological damage to tissue.[/quote]

X2

Thanks Ponce.

I agree with Spry over the “if other people destroy themselves, it ultimately affects me”.

With all the calls of “universal health care”, what kind of healthy, hardworking T-Nation regular wants to see his/her taxes squandered by the careless people of society?

You know, the bloody cops arrested me for jerking off on the street in public the other day.

Bastards infringed my liberty!

How dare they?

Why can’t people just walk around me?

[quote]Spry wrote:
PonceDeLeon wrote:

Double the cost of cigarettes. Find out everything, every gov program they are opposed to, equally distribute this new margin to these programs, and send a record of the contribution, monthly, to the smoker.

HAHAHA!

That’s been tried.
[/quote]

Has it?

What if you, as a two-pack-a-day smoker, received a noticed every month that your money went to funding Kate Harding’s Krispy Kreme habit?

And the batteries that power Ann Coulter’s vibrator.

Spry wrote:
PonceDeLeon wrote:

HAHAHA!

That’s been tried.

Has it?

What if you, as a two-pack-a-day smoker, received a noticed every month that your money went to funding Kate Harding’s Krispy Kreme habit?

And the batteries that power Ann Coulter’s vibrator.[/quote]

Its really hard for me to respond with only one hand, while I drink a beer, jerk off and talk on my mobile phone and use my wireless laptop whilst driving my car at greater than the designated speed limit.

I love my liberties!

What is the difference between your ‘right’ to clean air and the ‘right’ that conservatives claim to have to entertainment channels free from vulgarity?

Don’t like what you hear? Change the channel. Don’t like news source X? Don’t access news source X.

With the freedom of expression should be implicit the responsibility of discretion.

What is the difference between your ‘right’ to clean air and the ‘right’ that conservatives claim to have to entertainment channels free from vulgarity?

Don’t like what you hear? Change the channel. Don’t like news source X? Don’t access news source X.

With the freedom of expression should be implicit the responsibility of discretion.[/quote]

I completly agree.

My argument is that smoking, with all the facts taken into account, should be banned.

Just like, after taking all the facts, drink driving has been banned.

Just like, after taking all the facts, excessive alcholic consumptions is banned.

With the freedoms afforded to us, we must also refrain from certain actions to afford others the same freedoms.

Smoking is something which should be refrained from after you look at the cost on society.

MOVE AROUND THEM.

[/quote]

Hey Ponce, did you hear about Dublin having secondhand smoke getting declared a public nuisance a couple of years ago?

http://no-smoking.org/aug06/08-16-06-1.html

I also like to enjoy the occasional cigar on my porch. It’s pretty weird to think that I could potentially get in trouble for this if one of my neighbors had an open window and the smoke bothered them. Dublin is windy as hell too.

[quote]Spry wrote:
My argument is that smoking, with all the facts taken into account, should be banned.

Just like, after taking all the facts, excessive alcholic consumptions is banned.

With the freedoms afforded to us, we must also refrain from certain actions to afford others the same freedoms.

Smoking is something which should be refrained from after you look at the cost on society.[/quote]

How is smoking outdoors or in the privacy of your own home harmful to anyone but yourself?

Driving drunk is illegal because a drunk driver can easily hurt or kill another human being. Excessive alchol consumption is banned in public because drunks can be (and usually are) obnoxious and unruly. But you can drink as much as you want in the privacy of your own home and no one will say anything to you.

Bottom line, there is no cost “on society”, there is only a cost to the health of smokers themselves. As Adults, they have the right to decide for themselves if the pleasure they derive from smoking is worth the risk to their long term health.

Nonsmokers need to stop being whiny cunts and deal with it.

If I’ve got to put up with non-smokers who don’t wear deodarant, don’t take showers after they workout, or just generally smell, you all can suck it up and deal with it when you walk out a damn building.

Nothing gives me greater pleasure than people giving me dirty looks when they walk by and I’m smoking.

It’s a free motherfucking country. Get over it.

[quote]njrusmc wrote:
I agree with Spry over the “if other people destroy themselves, it ultimately affects me”.

With all the calls of “universal health care”, what kind of healthy, hardworking T-Nation regular wants to see his/her taxes squandered by the careless people of society?[/quote]

Where the fuck do you think they’re going? If it’s not smokers it’s fat people, if it’s not fat people it’s prisoners, if it’s not prisoners than it’s payoffs and bribes and kickbacks.

Christ, some people are just delusional. Smoking is the least of the problems.

[quote]Uncle Gabby wrote:
Spry wrote:

Smoking is something which should be refrained from after you look at the cost on society.

How is smoking outdoors or in the privacy of your own home harmful to anyone but yourself?

Driving drunk is illegal because a drunk driver can easily hurt or kill another human being. Excessive alchol consumption is banned in public because drunks can be (and usually are) obnoxious and unruly. But you can drink as much as you want in the privacy of your own home and no one will say anything to you.

Bottom line, there is no cost “on society”, there is only a cost to the health of smokers themselves. As Adults, they have the right to decide for themselves if the pleasure they derive from smoking is worth the risk to their long term health. [/quote]

Hospitals. My taxes here in Australia pay for them.

That’s the cost on society.

And we are getting into bullshit so I surrender and agree that an adult should be allowed to engage in smoking and harm themselves.

I do however, consider it illegal for a person to sell a highly addictive product which causes cancer.

So the law should ban the SALE of cigarettes.

Happy?

Alcohol can be addictive too but NOT to the majority of its users - don’t try that line of argument.

[quote]Spry wrote:
Hospitals. My taxes here in Australia pay for them.

That’s the cost on society.

And we are getting into bullshit so I surrender and agree that an adult should be allowed to engage in smoking and harm themselves.

I do however, consider it illegal for a person to sell a highly addictive product which causes cancer.

So the law should ban the SALE of cigarettes.

Happy?

Alcohol can be addictive too but NOT to the majority of its users - don’t try that line of argument.[/quote]

Who gives a shit about addiction? Your only argument against smoking is that you don’t want to pay for the health costs of someone else’s bad habit. Are you against the sale of fatty foods? Sugary Foods? Motorcycles? Fast Cars? Sports equipment? All of those can cause health problems, or injury.

So are you going to pay for your fellow citizen’s health care after he is badly injured in a motocycle crash? He didn’t have to ride a motorcycle, he could have taken public transportation.

If you can’t have Universal Health Care in your country and still respect the private lives of your fellow citizens then you’ve made a deal with the devil. I feel sorry for you and yours.