T Nation

Smoking Outside Buildings Banned

Recently my University banned smoking on campus. The details are a little hazy as there has been no formal announcement whatsoever, but apparently this is a statewide(Pennsylvania) law now. $250 fine first offense, no warnings. I am personally not a smoker, but I don’t agree with this at all. What do you guys think about this?

What’s not to agree with? Just about everyone would prefer to minimize their exposure to secondhand smoke, regular smokers included.

[quote]chillain wrote:
What’s not to agree with? Just about everyone would prefer to minimize their exposure to secondhand smoke, regular smokers included.

[/quote]

If they’re outside, the second hand smoke is nil. Otherwise, if people want to smoke, let them.

[quote]chillain wrote:

[/quote]

Why don’t they just make cigarettes illegal then? You obviously can’t smoke them anywhere.

Oh yeah, taxes.

Whats not to agree with is the infringement of our personal liberties. Like I said, I don’t really smoke cigarettes, but I still deserve to have the right to make that choice for myself.

Yeah smokers are being prosecuted these days. I smoked for 7 years and quit exactly one year ago as of yesterday. Im glad I stopped when I did. They cost about 5c each to make. They sell for 6 bucks a pack, and the govt gets most of that money im sure. When I was in high school, we used to smoke cigarettes everywhere, inside burger king, mcdonalds, waffle house, and it was normal.

Cheers to a new victimless crime :wink:

[quote]Tstud_9 wrote:
Whats not to agree with is the infringement of our personal liberties. Like I said, I don’t really smoke cigarettes, but I still deserve to have the right to make that choice for myself. [/quote]

No you do not.

Cigarettes are known to be harmful to yourself and others.

I’m not allowed to drive my car drunk.

I’m not allowed to fire a gun into a crowd of people.

You’re an idiot for thinking that smoking is a liberty that must be defended.

[quote]Spry wrote:
Tstud_9 wrote:
Whats not to agree with is the infringement of our personal liberties. Like I said, I don’t really smoke cigarettes, but I still deserve to have the right to make that choice for myself.

No you do not.

You’re an idiot for thinking that smoking is a liberty that must be defended.[/quote]

Your equating smoking a cigarettes to firing a gun into a crowd of people? Killing people through a very violent act compared with a cigarette… Look people choose to smoke, they know it’s bad for them. Your bitching isn’t going to make them stop.

Many things are dangerous, that doesn’t mean we avoid them all…

[quote]Spry wrote:
Tstud_9 wrote:

No you do not.

You’re an idiot for thinking that smoking is a liberty that must be defended.[/quote]

But its perfectly fine to jump motorcycles over 20 trucks, parachute out of an airplane, knock out your opponent in the octagon, have sex without a condom, and drink yourself to blackout.

Your point is crushed. Your an idiot for thinking that our liberties should not be defended and that the government has our safety in mind when they make laws like this.

[quote]Spry wrote:
Tstud_9 wrote:

No you do not.

agreed. no good comes from smoking. it is not healthy, it is not classy, thre is no point to it at all.

[quote]SeanT wrote:
Spry wrote:
Tstud_9 wrote:

No you do not.

Your equating smoking a cigarettes to firing a gun into a crowd of people? Killing people through a very violent act compared with a cigarette… Look people choose to smoke, they know it’s bad for them. Your bitching isn’t going to make them stop.

Many things are dangerous, that doesn’t mean we avoid them all…[/quote]

You forgot to mention the drink driving.

This isn’t a violent crime (like smoking).

It was once considered legal (like smoking).

Many things are dangerous and risk is required in life.

But we SHOULD avoid cigerattes as the good (taxes, employment, etc.) is outweighed by the bad (health costs, cancer, addiction, etc.).

Smoking is not a right just like drink driving is not a right.

Its where we draw the line that’s complicated in the State enacting laws to protect the greater good.

Smoking is clear cut in my opinion.

[quote]elano wrote:
Spry wrote:
Tstud_9 wrote:

No you do not.

But its perfectly fine to jump motorcycles over 20 trucks, parachute out of an airplane, knock out your opponent in the octagon, have sex without a condom, and drink yourself to blackout.

Your point is crushed. Your an idiot for thinking that our liberties should not be defended and that the government has our safety in mind when they make laws like this.[/quote]

jumping motorcycles wont hurt anybody but the person doing it. parachuting out of an airplane is a recreation. knocking out your opponent in an octagon is a sport and the rules of the game, raw dawging, how will yu enfornce anything about that? drink yourself to a blackout is illegal…

Might I add that illegal drugs have been a top priority for police over the past 50 years. Do you know where to score some crack/coke/meth? Im sure you can go down to your local ghetto or high school and buy all you want from rob in the alley or Marcus in the men’s restroom.

Creating laws does not stop people from commiting “crimes”. Education does.

You cant just fix a problem by saying “lets make it illegal!” That is proven over and over not to work. Did you know that Hitler himself banned smoking in bars and resturants? He then banned people from smoking in public. After that he murdered 4 million jews. See how crazy it is?

[quote]elano wrote:
Spry wrote:
Tstud_9 wrote:

No you do not.

Your point is crushed. Your an idiot for thinking that our liberties should not be defended and that the government has our safety in mind when they make laws like this.[/quote]

You have not crushed any point whatsoever.

You listed things which are not harmful to the greater community.

Smoking is harmful to others.

Liberties should be defended.

Smoking is not a liberty.

I don’t think there’s a problem as long as you’re considerate to the people in your surrounding area. It’s always wrong to light up and subject people to a cloud of your smoke regardless of what the law is.

I served on a grand jury a few months back. Smoke break was always a hassle since I had to go down 13 floors and deal with the security coming back in. But then we found out there was a “smoking area” on the same floor. It was in a lesser used stairwell. Imagine that, smoking inside the criminal courts building in a city where it’s illegal to smoke anywhere.

[quote]elano wrote:
Might I add that illegal drugs have been a top priority for police over the past 50 years. Do you know where to score some crack/coke/meth? Im sure you can go down to your local ghetto or high school and buy all you want from rob in the alley or Marcus in the men’s restroom.

Creating laws does not stop people from commiting “crimes”. Education does.

You cant just fix a problem by saying “lets make it illegal!” That is proven over and over not to work. Did you know that Hitler himself banned smoking in bars and resturants? He then banned people from smoking in public. After that he murdered 4 million jews. See how crazy it is?

[/quote]

Wow! The old ‘Nazis-did-it-too’ argument!

Awesome use of logic.

Hell yes, we should educate. But it must also be illegal

Both things are required.

watch chronic diseases go down, overall health go up, life expectancy increase, and less birth defects in PA because of this.

cheers to a better life PA

HELLO am I the only person here with some logic?

SMOKING DOES NOT HARM OTHER PEOPLE!

Yeah, it smells bad and the people who use it stink, but if you buy into the whole “second hand smoke is going to knock years off my life” bs you are retarted.

Go live next to a highway and breathe in exhause fumes all day long and tell me that you would rather have smokers off the street.

Look, that motorcycle could miss the ramp and hit a crowd of people, the airplane your on could crash into a public school, the guy you knocked out could be messed up for life, the girl you just had sex with could have given you AIDS and you just gave it to 10 other people before realizing it

But… some guy smoking a cigarette 5 feet away from some kids might give them cancer. PLEASE!

Elano has a point. The quality of our air is way more deadly than any second hand smoke. Just look at a bus taking off from a stop. I would have to smoke for months just to produce the same amount of junk that the bus produces in just 5 hours. Add to that the countless big rigs on the highways. Cigarette smoke is nothing compared to the big picture.

[quote]elano wrote:
HELLO am I the only person here with some logic?

SMOKING DOES NOT HARM OTHER PEOPLE!

Yeah, it smells bad and the people who use it stink, but if you buy into the whole “second hand smoke is going to knock years off my life” bs you are retarted.

Go live next to a highway and breathe in exhause fumes all day long and tell me that you would rather have smokers off the street.

Look, that motorcycle could miss the ramp and hit a crowd of people, the airplane your on could crash into a public school, the guy you knocked out could be messed up for life, the girl you just had sex with could have given you AIDS and you just gave it to 10 other people before realizing it

But… some guy smoking a cigarette 5 feet away from some kids might give them cancer. PLEASE![/quote]

I’m more annoyed about the medical costs and other costs the community will ultimately bear.

Again your examples are extreme do nothing for your argument.

And you just agreed that fumes are bad for your health.

We need cars but in fact there are emission standards to address such issues. I can’t buy fuel with lead in it anymore for example.

A ban would also protect people from an addiction.

SMOKING IS NOT A LIBERTY.

Yeah, I don’t want to put up with the smell.

And it spelt RETARDED, mentally-disabled-dude.