Smoking: Kicking the Habit

just curious if i am the only person in this boat. i used to do lifting about 2 years ago. now im not the biggest of guys and i wasnt hardcore into it, but i would like to.

anyway, i made one of the worst decisions in my life and began smoking at the age of 23. yes i knew all the warnings, health risks everything and not a day goes by that i dont regret or beat myself up over it. i was just wondering if anyone here had to kick the habit and can offer tips.

i dont wantto go on nicotine replacement or any of that shit, i mean replacing the drug with the drug doesnt sound like a smart option.
i just want to get back to where i was before i made this mistake

Chances are that very few people will have any kind of compassion for you, especially when you say that you “dont regret” anything. Suck it up and ditch tobacco before it does any serious damage to your body. I mean, the money alone should be quite an incentive.

From my experience, don’t tell yourself that you’re quitting. A smoker will always be a smoker, but you can control the frequency of your smokes. Look at it from a “break” perspective. Before you know it, you’ll become an occasional smoker, and all that’s left then is to push the occasions as far back from each other as possible.

I smoked for 14 years, was on 2 packs a day and I gave up 3 years ago, piece of piss really, just stop that’s all you have to do, for me it was about being in the right frame of mind.

I had tried giving up loads of times before but deep down I did not really want too, I enjoyed it too much.

When I did give up I had made that decision to stop I had 100 reasons to quit and none to continue.

What really helped for me was the realisation that you should never deprive yourself of something, this is of big physiological importance in quitting the cigs.

If you say to yourself “I must never smoke ever again” You are depriving yourself and this makes it difficult.

Better to tell yourself “I can smoke if I want too but I choose not too” You are no longer depriving yourself the option of a cigarette, but you are simply choosing not to have one.

Make it a personal challenge, the first 3 weeks of me giving up I was in Greece with my wife’s family, where most evenings would be spent with 15-30 people all night at a restaurant and most of them chain smoked.

I almost relished the challenge of not smoking under such difficult circumstances.

Also make sure you have lot’s of people around you telling you how great you are doing, and tell yourself this too.

Do not expect major life changes, like I said I smoked loads and after 3 years of stopping I swear I feel no different at all.

Also one last point, patches are essential, you must use nicotine replacement therapy, this will help your body ease itself off the physical side of craving nicotine while you deal with the physiological aspect of not having a cigarette in your hand.

Also get a load of Gum to chew too.

while replacing the drug with the drug isn’t the best option, it’s better than putting all that shit into your lungs and body (the smoke I mean)

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
while replacing the drug with the drug isn’t the best option, it’s better than putting all that shit into your lungs and body (the smoke I mean)[/quote]

Well yes the point of nicotine replacement is you are only replacening the nicotine direct into your bloodstream, and eliminating the other thousands of nasty chemicals and tar form your system via your lungs

the “dont regret” is a type o sorry, i regret it every day tbfh

smoking cigarettes or weed?

smoking cigarettes is retarded for a bodybuilder, it makes you eat less. i think thats all i really need to say.

I quit a year and a half ago when a man told me I stunk like smoke. That was what had pushed it for me. I’m kind of vain like that.

For me, smoking was associated with certain times of the day and certain activities. It wasn’t so much a physical withdrawal but a mental one. I’m highly routine oriented so I changed my routine. For a while I drank a frigging load of tea. That’s when I joined the gym as well and replace the smoke with physical stuff. I did a lot of pushups at that time as well :slight_smile:

The desire still hits when I’m driving sometimes.

Good luck.

good point about changing routine, I think thats what helped me out, as I was on holiday my usual smoking routine was not in place.

I smoked and it ruined my first marriage. I was able to slowly quit by moving from menthols to lights and now slims. I only smoke a pack a week at this point and the nicotine is less.

[quote]Mister T. wrote:
Spaghett wrote:
I smoked and it ruined my first marriage. I was able to slowly quit by moving from menthols to lights and now slims. I only smoke a pack a week at this point and the nicotine is less.

I’ve never heard of smoking ruining a marriage. Please elaborate, if you wouldn’t mind.[/quote]

LOL

Just make up your mind and do it. Think of the pros and cons and decide how you want to live. Long and healthy strong enough to climb a mountain, or coughing and wheezing to climb a flight of stairs, or carry a twenty pound item across a yard. Another words weak. Not to mention cancer, heart disease, emphysema.

D

Kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray. Think about that the next time you see a hot chick you’d like to swap spit with.

I smoked from 13 to 40; I haven�??t smoked in 10 years. It took me 3 times to actually quit. The first time I quit, I got sent home from work for insubordination. The second time I got a divorce. The third time was the charm, I used the patch. It is funny, I haven�??t smoked in 10 years but on occasion I still reach for a Cigarette.

I’ve been advising my client to try to cut down to 1 every hour (he’s on over a pack a day).

Straight away that will get him down to about 16-20 a day.

After that, we’ll see if he can go 1 every 90mins. Etc etc etc.

bollocks to thatif you’re going to quit then just quit, cutting down is BS, you will have a bad day or a stressfull day and just smoke more.

cutting down is not quiting! If you really want to stop then you will do it without cutting down first.

[quote]Mister T. wrote:

I’ve never heard of smoking ruining a marriage. Please elaborate, if you wouldn’t mind.[/quote]

I chewed tobacco from about 18 - 35…only while driving to and from work and sometimes at lunch at work…never chewed on the weekends…hid it from She Say for a looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time…when she found out I told her I’d quit…stopped for about a week…then started again…cut out the chewing on the way home from work…made SURE to never, ever, ever have any way she could catch me…but…then she asked me straight out and I’ve never lied to her…so I had to tell her…long story short…the second time I started back up after telling her I’d quit she asked me and I said, look…it’s what I do and she said, well then you’re disrespecting me and the kids not to mention yourself and that’s not how marriage works…so I looked at it from that light and haven’t done it since…so…maybe that’s how it could ruin your marriage…

Typical ignorant smoker can’t even be bothered to say thanks for the advice pfft!

[quote]Electric_E wrote:
Typical ignorant smoker can’t even be bothered to say thanks for the advice pfft![/quote]

He’s away from the teh interweb having a fag.

Set a date about a week in advance; that way you can smoke all you want for a week. Stay up late the night before you are going to quit, and the first smoke free day sleep all day if possible.

After that first smoke free day the rest of your life is easy. Simply do not smoke.

Do not give in to temptation. People don’t realize that it is easy to go for a day or two without smoking. Do not be fooled. The habit is sinister and unrelenting, but it can be subtle and that’s how it gets you.

After you have quit, for awhile, every once in awhile, when you least expect it, you get this friendly, little, soothing voice in your head that you mistake for yourself saying,
“You haven’t had a cigarette in a year (10 years, month, whatever). One won’t hurt. Having just one and only one will prove that you have kicked the habit. Go ahead. You deserve it.”

Do not listen to this voice!! It is not you. It is the jones that hides in you and will hide in you for the rest of your life.

Resistance is the key and the hard part isn’t in the first week like a lot of people claim. The hard part is when you think that you no longer have an addiction and one cigarette won’t hurt.

You can do it. Just never let your defenses down. It’s really not that hard to quit, but it’s just too easy to start again.