T Nation

Smoking and Performance

I’m what I would call a vacation smoker. Once a year on vacation I’ll burn through a pack of smokes in a week. I get home and then no more until the next vacation. Yeah I know it’s awful for me and it’s going to affect my performance, but how much?

Any other occasional smokers on this board? I know ya’ll are hard core serious athletes and so this may relegate me to persona non grata status, but I’m curious how many others are out there.

If you smoke once a year I think the effect would be similar to that of training once a year. Minimal. It’s the things you do most of the time that make a difference.

A pack of smokes in a week once a year I don’t think will really impact your performance (except for that week and maybe the week after) significantly. Why even smoke a pack once a year? Why not enjoy a cigar or something like that on your vacation?

^ Do what Polo does, enjoy a fag.

Yeah, I enjoy heroin binge one week per year.

I quit smoking 7 years ago yesterday. Everyone who smokes should quit. You can do it. I chewed the nicotine gum for 2 months and never looked back.

Sorry, but I always hated the people that “only smoke when they drink” or “only smoke when I’m in France because it’s just the thing to do there”.

Please smoke a pack a day if you’re going to do it at all. Don’t be a tool.

[quote]Nards wrote:
“only smoke when I’m in France because it’s just the thing to do there”.[/quote]
Well,it is. You’d be insulting them if you DIDN’T smoke.

OP,I doubt smoking a pack a year would make a dent in your progress. I sorta think its pointless to smoke at all. You cant get high or drunk from a cigarette.

[quote]Nards wrote:

Sorry, but I always hated the people that “only smoke when they drink” or “only smoke when I’m in France because it’s just the thing to do there”.

[/quote]

or even worse, the people who “only smoke while riding their velociraptor backwards uphill on the way to a Limp Bizkit concert in July.”

assholes.

oh and x2 what polo said. if you’re going to poison yourself at least have some class about it.

[quote]WormwoodTheory wrote:

or even worse, the people who “only smoke while riding their velociraptor backwards uphill on the way to a Limp Bizkit concert in July.”

[/quote]

Thanks for making me spill my shake all over the keyboard!!!

[quote]JackedGunz wrote:
I’m what I would call a vacation smoker. Once a year on vacation I’ll burn through a pack of smokes in a week. I get home and then no more until the next vacation. Yeah I know it’s awful for me and it’s going to affect my performance, but how much?

Any other occasional smokers on this board? I know ya’ll are hard core serious athletes and so this may relegate me to persona non grata status, but I’m curious how many others are out there.[/quote]

You sound like a quitter. If you’re going to smoke, do it properly. Puss.

[quote]Nards wrote:

[/quote]

assholes.

oh and x2 what polo said. if you’re going to poison yourself at least have some class about it.[/quote]
Good one…guessing you listen to the Jim Rome show? And for thread starter, it should’nt much except for a few weeks after, but why bother if it’s only a week a year?

[quote]Nards wrote:
Sorry, but I always hated the people that “only smoke when they drink” [/quote]

you know that urge you got to wake up and smoke a cigarette, or the one you felt the urge for after dinner or whatever? that only happens to me when im 5+ drinks deep. doesnt make me a tool, i just dont like smoking sober.

[quote]cromwell2007 wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

[/quote]

assholes.

oh and x2 what polo said. if you’re going to poison yourself at least have some class about it.[/quote]
Good one…guessing you listen to the Jim Rome show? And for thread starter, it should’nt much except for a few weeks after, but why bother if it’s only a week a year?[/quote]

Because he’s on vacation…

Jeez, a pack a year ain’t gonna do shit to your training man.

[quote]clockworkchad wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

you know that urge you got to wake up and smoke a cigarette, or the one you felt the urge for after dinner or whatever? that only happens to me when im 5+ drinks deep. doesnt make me a tool, i just dont like smoking sober. [/quote]

This is how I am as well. I don’t touch cigarettes sober, but after a few drinks I get that urge.

[quote]Dustin wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

you know that urge you got to wake up and smoke a cigarette, or the one you felt the urge for after dinner or whatever? that only happens to me when im 5+ drinks deep. doesnt make me a tool, i just dont like smoking sober. [/quote]

This is how I am as well. I don’t touch cigarettes sober, but after a few drinks I get that urge.[/quote]

In which case, don’t drink too often, and no harm done! Now how hard was that? lol.

if you must smoke, smoke cannabis :slight_smile:

[quote]hungry4more wrote:

[quote]Dustin wrote:

[quote]Nards wrote:

This is how I am as well. I don’t touch cigarettes sober, but after a few drinks I get that urge.[/quote]

In which case, don’t drink too often, and no harm done! Now how hard was that? lol. [/quote]

???

It isn’t a problem for me. The OP was having the issue.

You’ve basically come on here wanting people to make you feel better for smoking a pack of cigarettes (which you already know aren’t good for you) by telling you that ‘oh it’s only once a year it’s fine!’, but how can they be certain that the next cigarette isn’t the one that causes damage to your DNA thus making your cells grow and multiply out of control (giving you cancer)?

Taken from cancerhelp.org.uk:
‘Overall, of all the people diagnosed with all types of lung cancer in the UK at all stages, only about 25 out of every 100 people (25%) will live for at least 1 year after diagnosis. About 8 out of every 100 people diagnosed (8%) will live for at least 5 years after diagnosis.’ I think it’s also safe to assume that those 8% don’t have the best quality of life.

Taken from Wikipedia.org/wiki/smoking#physiology:
‘Inhaling smoke into the lungs, no matter the substance, has adverse effects on one’s health. The incomplete combustion produced by burning plant material, like tobacco or cannabis, produces carbon monoxide, which impairs the ability of blood to carry oxygen when inhaled into the lungs. There are several other toxic compounds in tobacco that constitute serious health hazards to long-term smokers from a whole range of causes; vascular abnormalities such as stenosis, lung cancer, heart attacks, strokes, impotence, low birth weight of infants born by smoking mothers. 8% of long-term smokers develop the characteristic set of facial changes known to doctors as smoker’s face.’

The reality of all of this probably doesn’t bother you that much, because you are clearly already encountering the first stages of addiction.

So, in answer to your ACTUAL question, how much is smoking going to affect your performance. Well, worst case scenario, I’d imagine that cancer would affect your performance quite considerably.

You’re on a slippery slope my friend, I just hope you can see sense before it gets worse.

If you want help with your addiction, now, or in the future (hopefully before that deadly DNA-altering cigarette) do a search for Allen Carr’s The Easy Way to Stop Smoking, which is without a doubt the best book on quitting smoking.

[quote]Gregus wrote:
if you must smoke, smoke cannabis :slight_smile: [/quote]

This.

Cigarettes don’t get you high???

I think if not because ur worried about side effects but purely because you shouldnt support an industry selling addictive poison.