T Nation

Smoking a Brisket

I got a new pit and plan to smoke a brisket in the next week or so. I am looking for people’s favorite mop or rub and sauce recipes (or any suggestions or helpful hints). I have smoked a brisket before but it has been years.

I tend towards a sweeter (Kansas City style) sauce than anything hot. For Texas folks, my wife and I are fans of Rudy’s. For Missouri folks, I have eaten well at the Red Bandanna in Columbus.

Rudy’s is awesome.

Find a bottle brand that you like and use as a base to create your own. Stubbs is good straight out of the bottle, I like Cattlemans and then adding orange juice, soy sauce and some pepper for heat.

Get your hands on some pecan for the smoke, hickory is good too.

I grabbed the last bag of hickory at Home Depot. They close up shop on BBQ and grilling pretty quickly around here (damn Yankeeland).

I have some DP BBQ sauce that is pretty good. I have seen a recipe for it and will substitute the DP made with sugar (not Dublin) for the corn fructose variety.

I am more interested in making chopped beef sandwiches for a party than serving up sliced brisket. Not sure about smoking just part of the brisket since every set of instructions I have seen say “make sure you get a whole brisket.” Basically, I do not have 15 hours that day to smoke it.

if you’re just doing chopped beef and want a little smoke flavor, throw it in the oven for about 2 to 2/12 hours, at 375 wrapped in foil, then open the foil, put on a hot pit with the smoke to finish for another hour or two. I did this for a luncheon i got talked into catering once (never do again) and the folks raved about it. I’d dry rub the hell out of it, maybe spike with some garlic cloves, then put some sauce on when you open the foil.

how big was the brisket? what cut?

just a regular brisket, 12 to 15 lbs I think. I usually buy the untrimmed because they’re cheaper, can trim out the fat myself.

I was thinking of smoking first for two to three hours, wrapping up in aluminum foil then cooking. Do you think 375 for a couple of hours would do the trick? Probably slather in some sauce before wrapping the brisket up.

Paul Kirk Basic Rub and Sauce. I’ve used this recipe many times, and have a big bag of it sitting in my spice cabinet right now. Makes an awesome rub and bbq sauce.

http://www.bbqdan.com/recipes/dry_rub.html

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
I was thinking of smoking first for two to three hours, wrapping up in aluminum foil then cooking. Do you think 375 for a couple of hours would do the trick? Probably slather in some sauce before wrapping the brisket up.[/quote]

smoke it over night with MESQUITE. Hickory is for yankees.

Openly gay thread.

[quote]admbaum wrote:

[quote]Tex Ag wrote:
I was thinking of smoking first for two to three hours, wrapping up in aluminum foil then cooking. Do you think 375 for a couple of hours would do the trick? Probably slather in some sauce before wrapping the brisket up.[/quote]

smoke it over night with MESQUITE. Hickory is for yankees.
[/quote]

I would prefer mesquite (I have some small chips) but finding a large amount is tough this far north of the red river.

I use mesquite smoke and lots of brown sugar, plus lots of other shit

If it ain’t pork, it ain’t bbq.

[quote]Brother Chris wrote:
If it ain’t pork, it ain’t bbq.[/quote]

aaaaand /thread

Now…if you wanna talk pulled pork I’ve got some skills