Smith or Light Weights, Lesser Evil?

So I’m having a little legal problem and I wont have my drivers liscense for 2 months (no I didn’t get a DUI). And it is near impossible to get to a decent gym. There is a “gym” in my girlfriends condo im attempting to use but its not “decent”. My options are a few cybex brand machines leg press, chest press etc, some dumbells (but only up to 50 lbs) and a smith machine. I dont like restrictiveness of the smith at all it feels just… wrong when I lift.

But the 50 lb dumbells are to light for a lot of things and I can get adequet weight on a smith machine. I’m doing more dips and chins but Its frustrating to not be able to really bench or squat a decent amount of weight. So whats the lesser of the evils for the next 2 months or so. Advice is welcome.
Thanks

[quote]archer42 wrote:
So I’m having a little legal problem and I wont have my drivers liscense for 2 months (no I didn’t get a DUI). And it is near impossible to get to a decent gym. There is a “gym” in my girlfriends condo im attempting to use but its not “decent”. My options are a few cybex brand machines leg press, chest press etc, some dumbells (but only up to 50 lbs) and a smith machine. I dont like restrictiveness of the smith at all it feels just… wrong when I lift.

But the 50 lb dumbells are to light for a lot of things and I can get adequet weight on a smith machine. I’m doing more dips and chins but Its frustrating to not be able to really bench or squat a decent amount of weight. So whats the lesser of the evils for the next 2 months or so. Advice is welcome.
Thanks [/quote]

You’ll be fine using the Smith machine.

people make the smith machine sound like its a horrible peice of equipment. yes its not as good as free weights, but its your situation it will do

take the bus? Or have your GF pick you up or drop you off? How about a bike?

ok ok if no options,

if your gonna buy a bowflex, you can just get a powerrack that has incline squats and chin up bar in it.

swiss ball, flys and press you might have to do 20 rep flys and follow it with 20 reps press then 20 pushups,

same goes with legs do like split squats, lunges, and hack squats off of swiss ball, all done in circuits,

chins, supersetted with db row (the poliquin variation)

just basically focus on tri sets, and preexhaustion techniques.!

I agree that the smith machine will get you by for a little while in a pinch, especially if they have a decent amount of plates for it. Not preferable, but with a little creativity you should at least keep from losing anything.

[quote]archer42 wrote:
So I’m having a little legal problem and I wont have my drivers liscense for 2 months (no I didn’t get a DUI).
[/quote]

Same thing here man, ill be lucky if I get 2 months… seriously.

I agree, Smith machines arent so bad… when I blew my hernia I was confined to smith, and I at least presereved most of my gains.

I think when Arnold was a teen he walked 7 miles in the snow to his gym…So suck it up.

I totally feel you on smith machines, it doesn’t feel right at all. The smith machine is better than nothing though. Good luck with whatever your situation exactly is.

Just drive. You won’t get pulled over. Do you have a bicycle?