Smith Machine Stigma?

Is there a stigma placed on guys in your gym that bench or squat using the Smith Machine? Is there an unspoken perception? Does it depend on â??who it isâ???

guys at my gym get pissed when they see someone benching in the smith, they say it should be reserved for for shoulder pressing. other than that it is perceived the if you bench say 300 on a smith you probably bench way less on a free bar.

[quote]MuscleGear wrote:
Is there a stigma placed on guys in your gym that bench or squat using the Smith Machine? Is there an unspoken perception? Does it depend on â??who it isâ???[/quote]

I made a thread awhile back in Tcell, called “The false appeal of a smith cage.” I believe the consensus was that the Smith cage CAN be used in addition to your free weight movements, but shouldnt be the basis of your workout.

My argument was that i used to do all of my major lifts on a smith cage. One day i got fed up with waiting for people to get off the 1 smith cage in my gym, so i switched to completely free movement, and my weights suffered a large hit, but movements felt a lot better. Personally, i dont use a smith cage anymore, but to each their own.

I never use the smith cage just cause I havent had the need to. I cant do BB shoulder press and that would be the only movement I’d use the smith machine for.

So nope… no smith machine for me

Stigma? Yes I suppose just because most guys using smith machines are the ones who are “scared” to use free weights mostly older men or whatever. Although I don’t use it my self I believe it can properly fit into someones routine if they have shoulder issues and trouble stabilizing the weights with free weights or something. Squatting in a smith machine is really bad for the knees. When it comes to machine training I think the consensus is that Hammer Strength is the be all end all of machine training.

It’s good for pullups. Bout it.

Fuck it, when I used to hit a commercial gym, I did a good amount of work in the smith cage, still did a lot free weight exercises, but some presses, upright rows and a few other exercises were felt much more directly on the target muscle than their free weight varitations.

But I totally like free weight moves more, and now that I am bigger and stronger than when I was hitting the gym, it’s much easier to feel muscles working…I only do free weight exercises because that’s what I have access too, and I enjoy it very much so. However, don’t be afraid to try out the Smith, it’s not all that bad.

I have had good workouts on the smith, but mostly for legs and shoulders. I find it is a good warm up for legs before regular squats.

Ooh, even at my commercial gym, a few people are so hardcore and macho.
Its just a tool. I don’t put a stigma on people using a wrench to open a bolt. So, when needed, I use it for shrugs, some presses, lunges, standing calf raises, as well as the odd eccentric-less curls and CGBP(up 1 arm, down both), or just whatever movement I think of at the time…

Honestly, I don’t see why you need to know this. Even if the Smith Machine has a stigma, if it worked for YOU and got you some nice muscle, would that be a good reason to stop using it? Myself, I think it’s wonderful for calf raises and trapezius shrugs, but for example, bench pressing on a free bar feels way greater for me.

I use it at times for Front Squats or if I want to be cool and use them for haney shrugs

I use it for deadlifts and that’s about it.

I’ve been thinking about using it for standing calf raises. I can’t seem to get my balance right with free weights, which is why the Smith Machine appeals to me.

[quote]Pangloss wrote:
I’ve been thinking about using it for standing calf raises. I can’t seem to get my balance right with free weights, which is why the Smith Machine appeals to me. [/quote]

the only time a smith sucks is if you are trying to do a movement that requires the bar to move in a ROM other than straight up and down. examples are benching and squatting. trying to force the body to move in a straight line over time can cause damage to the body. things like shrugs or standing calf raises are fine.

i unno. people should pay more attention to their own training and less about how other people train. tricep movements where you can push up and toward your feet activates the long head quite a bit more than just up and down and that can ONLY (as far as i know?) be done in a smith. i also like to do rack chins with a locked smith and smith reverse grip bench press with DC grip. all awesome movements that work great on a smith machine. i dig it.

I tried smith high incline presses in the smith recently and loved them.Having said that I tried btn presses in it and it is one of the most uncomfortable exercises I have ever done.you live you learn i suppose.