Smith Machine Goodies

Deep squatting but avoiding the easy 20% top range, on the light side load, feet too far ahead(the position is conter intuitive) test really light load, slow reps, burning reps short rest repeat, enjoy !

I really enjoy behind the back shrugs in the smith. Make sure to lean forward.

Decline bench in the smith is nice.

I even have gotten “weird” with it and have done drag curls, kinda leaning forward. Hit the biceps pretty nice at the end of a workout.

Rows can be gnarly in there too.

Good ideas here. I thought I remember seeing some old school mothers laying underneath it and using it as a leg press too. Thats very uncommon

[quote]demonthrall wrote:
Good ideas here. I thought I remember seeing some old school mothers laying underneath it and using it as a leg press too. Thats very uncommon
[/quote]

Were they single mothers? They should have been home watching their kids instead of hangin’ out with old school bodybuilders!

lol

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]krazykoukides wrote:

[quote]paulieserafini wrote:
I’ve been thinking about using it for either a close grip bench press or jm press I believe it’s called[/quote]
C_C used to advocate doing CGBP’s in a smith machine while pushing the bar towards your feet. I think it is a DC concept but I don’t remember entirely. I did them a few times and they are murder for your triceps…[/quote]

I think I’ve read about that, Inhuman press I think it’s called.

You can use the smith for seated calf raises if you use one of those pads for squatting on your knees[/quote]

The Inhuman Press also incorporated having the entire lower body off of the bench, and putting only the lower back and above on the bench.[/quote]

hmm I didn’t know that, thanks for clarifying. I may give them a try someday, never really felt close grip presses in my tri’s so maybe they’ll be better

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[/quote]

Were they single mothers? They should have been home watching their kids instead of hangin’ out with old school bodybuilders!

lol[/quote]

Yes, his name was Mary

[quote]Iron Dwarf wrote:

[/quote]

lol[/quote]

They were! I was pretty turned on.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

I’ve been thinking about using it for either a close grip bench press or jm press I believe it’s called[/quote]
C_C used to advocate doing CGBP’s in a smith machine while pushing the bar towards your feet. I think it is a DC concept but I don’t remember entirely. I did them a few times and they are murder for your triceps…[/quote]

You can use the smith for seated calf raises if you use one of those pads for squatting on your knees[/quote]

The Inhuman Press also incorporated having the entire lower body off of the bench, and putting only the lower back and above on the bench.[/quote]

hmm I didn’t know that, thanks for clarifying. I may give them a try someday, never really felt close grip presses in my tri’s so maybe they’ll be better[/quote]

No problem. Quick threadjack, I really think the effectiveness of CGPs (Smith or free-weights,) is largely dependent on the structure and insertions of different people. I dedicated a lot of time to heavy CGPs and wrought no benefit whatsoever besides a somewhat shitty front-delt exercise and overwhelming joint issues. For guys like myself with stupidly high tricep insertion points, I think that CGPs used in a superset or at the end of a tricep session, partial ROM and high-rep are vastly beneficial and for heavy work are better suited for dips or JM presses.

Anyway, /threadjack

[/quote]

Same, there’s actually two older old-school (50s or so) bodybuilders that I see do these fairly often. I haven’t had the balls to do them yet because, despite there being catches on the Smith, it would still make me a little nervous putting 4+plates on there and laying underneath of that. The vision of my feet somehow slipping always deters me from giving them a shot. Ech.

Favorite back exercise - underhand grip smith BB row, lean over to about 65-75 degrees, pull the bar up into just below my bellybutton, and squeeze it up there for a count at the top. Really squeeze/force the elbows back. Feels so good on the lats.

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

hmm I didn’t know that, thanks for clarifying. I may give them a try someday, never really felt close grip presses in my tri’s so maybe they’ll be better[/quote]

No problem. Quick threadjack, I really think the effectiveness of CGPs (Smith or free-weights,) is largely dependent on the structure and insertions of different people. I dedicated a lot of time to heavy CGPs and wrought no benefit whatsoever besides a somewhat shitty front-delt exercise and overwhelming joint issues. For guys like myself with stupidly high tricep insertion points, I think that CGPs used in a superset or at the end of a tricep session, partial ROM and high-rep are vastly beneficial and for heavy work are better suited for dips or JM presses.

Anyway, /threadjack[/quote]

absolutely, just to take the hijack a little further, I always felt CGP hits 100% front delts. JM Presses are a great alternative but I injured my elbow doing them and it took a YEAR to get back to normal. Total nightmare.

One of the most important things I’ve learned lately in my training is the importance of exercise order. Doing CGP at the END of an arm session instead of at the start (always thought you should put the big compounds first…) has totally changed the feel of the exercise.

Good Stuff…excellent Idea for a thread.

I am a powerlifter, but after the main lift like to train like a BodyBuilder so to speak, so I will be implementing some of this stuff, I only have used the Smith for my tri ladders or inverted rows for a long time So it will be cool to re-acquaint myself with it again.

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
Good Stuff…excellent Idea for a thread.

I am a powerlifter, but after the main lift like to train like a BodyBuilder so to speak, so I will be implementing some of this stuff, I only have used the Smith for my tri ladders or inverted rows for a long time So it will be cool to re-acquaint myself with it again.[/quote]

Be creative. Play around with various planes, single-limb training, etc.

Heck, I even used the Smith machine to do pullups on because, being so short, I got tired of having to jump up so high on the regular chinning bars!

Don’t forget about these, via my man DOH:

Wide reverse grip bench in the smith is another good triceps exercise to try. Again you want to let your butt hang off the end of the bench and press the bar both up and towards your feet (or at least attempt to).

Here is a video example (skip forward to around the 3 minute mark to hear the exercise explanation and execution):

I also like High incline presses in the smith for shoulders (skip to 1 minute to see the exercise):

crap, let’s try that again shall we.

Reverse grip smith bench:

High incline smith shoulder press:

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
I only have used the Smith for my tri ladders [/quote]

ah now you’re talking. These are fucking brutal!

For those of you not familiar:

MUCH harder than it looks

[quote]SSC wrote:

[/quote]

Same, there’s actually two older old-school (50s or so) bodybuilders that I see do these fairly often. I haven’t had the balls to do them yet because, despite there being catches on the Smith, it would still make me a little nervous putting 4+plates on there and laying underneath of that. The vision of my feet somehow slipping always deters me from giving them a shot. Ech.[/quote]

Who needs a Smith machine?

[quote]super saiyan wrote:

[quote]SSC wrote:

[/quote]

Same, there’s actually two older old-school (50s or so) bodybuilders that I see do these fairly often. I haven’t had the balls to do them yet because, despite there being catches on the Smith, it would still make me a little nervous putting 4+plates on there and laying underneath of that. The vision of my feet somehow slipping always deters me from giving them a shot. Ech.[/quote]

Who needs a Smith machine?[/quote]

Quite possibly the most dangerous exercise in existence, lol. Talk about having to choose your spotters carefully.

In that same vein, how do you guys who do these in the Smith roll the bar to disengage the catch hooks? I’d think that would get pretty hairy once you got up to some substantial weights. And rolling it back at the end would be even worse.

[quote]rds63799 wrote:

[quote]MattyXL wrote:
I only have used the Smith for my tri ladders [/quote]

MUCH harder than it looks[/quote]

Definitely harder than it looks, try using them with spud straps, fucking wrecked my tris.