T Nation

Smith BTN Press Substitute

I do shoulders on Monday and Friday. On Fridays, I use dumbbells for my vertical pressing. On Mondays, I’ve been using the Smith Machine for BTN Presses.

Firstly, I can never seem to get the positioning of the shoulder press bench just right and I feel that I’m always pressing a bit unevenly. At the bottom position, probably since the thing is on a slight incline, my elbows get pushed back.This doesn’t hurt, but it feels a bit weird, especially in my left shoulder.

I had a very light ache in my left shoulder today, and if I rotate my left arm counter-clockwise backwards, in a backstroke motion, my shoulder grinds. It’s painless, but it feels like something is grinding against something else and this doesn’t happen on my right shoulder.

Is there a way to keep using this movement without injury? If not, what shoulder press can I use to substitute this? I don’t like the military press because I like to shoulder press at ear level, not in front of my face. The only substitute I can think of would be a barbell BTN press, but I’ve never tried that.
What do you think?
Thanks

anything behind the neck is rough on your shoulders. That 90/90 position is no bueno. You should check out the shoulder savers articles on here, good info there.

I’d say try the smith in front of your head. That is how I do em with my 2 torn labrums.

I don’t know about your injury, but my two favourites are HS shoulder press and really high incline press in the smith

[quote]Lancey wrote:
I don’t know about your injury, but my two favourites are HS shoulder press and really high incline press in the smith[/quote]
I don’t like the feel of our particular HS shoulder press, so that’s out. Could you elaborate or give a link about the second one? I just heard it discussed in the Markus Ruhl thread, but I’ve never done it.

[quote]Artem wrote:
Lancey wrote:
I don’t know about your injury, but my two favourites are HS shoulder press and really high incline press in the smith
I don’t like the feel of our particular HS shoulder press, so that’s out. Could you elaborate or give a link about the second one? I just heard it discussed in the Markus Ruhl thread, but I’ve never done it.

[/quote]

1. Find bench that goes 0-90.

2. Set it at around the angle of the bench in the photo

3. Press

4. ???

5. Profit!

Seriously though, you’ll have to do some experimenting, but as far as I’m concerned these are tits as far as overhead presses go. Took me from struggling to 155 to reps & sets with 185 in short order.

(I personally wouldn’t recommend going any lower than chin level, but again, experiment).

[quote]LUEshi wrote:
Artem wrote:
Lancey wrote:

1. Find bench that goes 0-90.

2. Set it at around the angle of the bench in the photo

3. Press

4. ???

5. Profit!

Seriously though, you’ll have to do some experimenting, but as far as I’m concerned these are tits as far as overhead presses go. Took me from struggling to 155 to reps & sets with 185 in short order.

(I personally wouldn’t recommend going any lower than chin level, but again, experiment).[/quote]
Wouldn’t these mostly work front delts? I’m really trying to develop my side delts more. That’s why I’m trying to do only ear-level pressing.

Try doing them standing, I like pressing in the smith machine much better if I stand, also works your abs and glutes to stabalise.
I know its kinda similar to DB shoulder press but I also really enjoy seated DB clean and press. The clean hits your traps and rear delts and you can press in at the sides of your head rather than out in front.

I’ve found it gives me an even overall development, but I mostly just focus on it to develop a solid foundation/strength base.