Smile, Sarah.... Smile ...!

You’re right, I was looking at voter turnout numbers. Mah bad

Oh I agree, and I don’t think they’ll run on an anti Trump only platform, but people acting like it wouldn’t work don’t seem to understand how easy it is to motivate voters out of hate

2 Likes

most administrations do … They get a bit of credit either way but they are hardly the harbinger of good/bad economic times, they can influence, help prolong good/bad economic times. Their policies can only influence regulations which can open or slow down the private sector. It’s really up to entrepreneurs and other established private economic entities to “create jobs” or essential invest in production expansion or invest in development or sit on the cash (i.e. invest in bonds and other low risk vehicles - land perhaps).

1 Like

The people who get pissed off are poor and working class whites because the people saying these things are college educated whites and blacks.

If the Dem is likable, regardless of whether or not one agrees with his or her views, they already will be ahead of Hilary before the campaign even starts. Someone like Bernie Sanders could pose problems for Trump. He is likable and doesn’t have the baggage Hilary had. Trump won’t attack policies because that is where he himself is weakest. Imagine if Trump had to debate Obama. He would look like a buffoon. With Bernie what can Trump do? Make fun of how he looks? Trump won because Hilary is so incredibly unlikable.

1 Like

Piss him off and get under his skin badly enough that he starts saying really dumb/bad things.

Like he did with everybody else. One thing I’ll give Hillary credit for is that she was usually pretty careful about what she said and how she responded during her campaign.

With one most recent exception.

Yes…you guessed it…President Obama.

Even before the last votes were being counted with his first election; the WORLD was spiraling into the greatest recession…just shy of depression…that the World had not seen since the 1930’s; with U.S. and financial markets on the verge of total collapse and failure.

Even though total depression was averted…the damage was deep, and the total recovery was nothing short of anemic.

Quite frankly; I’m glad President Obama and his Team were there and not Trump; and why I bristle when Trump brags about “his” economy compared to President Obama’s.

3 Likes

He should be expecting that. The question is, since Bernie can be quick with a joke, what happens if he gets under Trump’s skin. And Trump has been giving away material daily.

1 Like

Made me chuckle just to think about.

He used to be able to slam him for his social tendencies. Then Trump started a trade war and piled welfare into farmers to compensate. He could probably slam him for being a lifer pol, but Bernie’s already pretty vocal about being anti establishment, so despite it not really being true he gets to avoid that one too.

Probably for his hair. Just so the world could collectively feel the irony at once.

1 Like

My sentiment stands. There were also prior President’s who inherited shit economies with mixed recoveries wrt policies…To a degree, Obama holds responsibility for the recovery his administration oversaw, both good and bad, but not ALL the responsibility.

Too careful. As if to follow a pre-written narrative. Yes, overall, I think HRC tried to be the adult in the room, but she came off like a schnook and a huckster. She was sincere as cardboard.

Think she’ll try for 3? Third time’s a charm!

No disagreement, @polo77j.

My point is that Trump’s Dick Waving about “his” economy vs. President Obama’s grates me like fingernails on a chalkboard.

My family back in coal country couldn’t give 2 shits about his economy these days lol. Between blowing Putin on global television, the coal industry bouncing back about as hard as a deflated tennis ball, and his welfare fueled trade war in which China is clearly targeting Trump’s base, I’ve got a lot of pissy rednecks.

If Trump ever thought he was going to out-maneuver Xi Jinping; he is more deluded than I thought.

Xi wasn’t going to target Caviar and Expensive wines…he was going to go right at Trump’s base with Counter-Tariffs.

3 Likes

The thing that grates me is that he made a legitimate point during his campaign that the unemployment numbers are pure bullshit. They still are, since they still don’t count people who have stopped looking. If he was still beating that drum it would at least give him some credibility. Instead he’s going with the “Best economy ever!” narrative, and it’s bullshit, and even his supporters know in their hearts it’s bullshit.

I’m sure they will continue to support him because his douche baggery is still more appealing in their eyes than the shit-sandwich the Democrats are offering.

To be fair, he’s always been a kid playing a man’s game. He’s like a AAA pitcher that didnt know the MLB existed

Agreed. Xi and China have been doing the ‘pull strings from above’ thing since before Trump’s 211th out of court settlement.

1 Like

You mean, a POTUS can’t simply will a dead industry (ie, manual-labor-dependent coal mining) back into financial viability?

1 Like

I hear ya … it’s a good thing it does - makes you think (which you seem to always be doing haha).

When he took office a number of jobs opened back up in my hometown area. Very few actually mining jobs (duh), but a good bit of low skill support functions as demand ramped up a bit.

That being said, when the tax bill hit my cousin got laid off with some other guys as they came in with their automation-hammer.

I think it’s still a net positive for the coal industry in terms of number of jobs, but I don’t know how the recent trade war is going to factor in. I know it’s got essentially every one of my family members down there in a rage, but it’s hard to tell if it’s because of the impacts to coal or how reliant those areas are on the farming industry and its welfare system.

My bro in law works for a company that does vents and portals. They have more contracts/work than they can do. Way more. They really need people good people that can pass a drug test for long term employment at a wage rate and benefits package that would make your head spin.

In laymen’s terms- vents and portals are done primarily for expansion of existing mines and new openings. So, there’s more on the way.

1 Like

I want to come back to this point seeing how this happened the other day.

Whether they were influenced by Maxine or not matters very little. The perception is they are doing exactly what she called for them to do and it reflects poorly on the left. Every damn week I see articles of Trump supporters being harassed and it makes the left look very unreasonable and unhinged and that drives voters away.

The left has an identity crisis going on right now that needs to be addressed and changed or November will end badly for them.

1 Like