Smile, Sarah.... Smile ...!

Anybody here ever get kicked out of a bar?

I liken it to that. An old buddy of mine got kicked out of every bar in our area, some on reputation alone. He’d walk in and barely get through the door and the bartender would just turn him around and tell him to GTFO.

It doesn’t have to be a massive exercise in public discourse.

But just imagine if they did that to Obama.

That would actually be funny. Headline reads “Man mistakes POTUS for his liver, throws beer at him and kicks him to the curb!”.

So you’re talking about cases when state and municipal governments were discriminating against citizens and the power of the federal government had to be brought in to ensure their constitutional rights. That’s a vastly different circumstances than a small business refusing to serve a customer. In the later case if that happened to me I can get a meal, or buy a cake somewhere else. I could also go on social media and start a boycott and maybe hurt them financially.

And come on man, don’t bring Nazi fucking Germany into the argument, unless you were being sarcastic or something.

1 Like

You said we should trust people to fix society’s ills, when the reality is, they are the cause.

That’s true and I wonder why those pesky blacks were so upset about not being able to eat at certain restaurants to the point they demanded legal action. They should have just let the white people boycott those places until they served blacks. That is, when they made time in between lynchings.

I like you, but I think you like to hear yourself talk and watch yourself post, and right now you’re working yourself up over absurdities and strawmen.

1 I didn’t say that the federal government shouldn’t have intervened in the case of Jim Crow. It wasn’t just a matter of a few assholes who ran lunch counters or drove buses. It was litterally government oppression and the only decent way to stop it was for the federal government to step in.

2 You’re jumping from dinner and cake to lynchings and Nazi Germany. We’re not talking corrupt governments oppressing citizens, we’re talking about businesses denying service to customers for stupid reasons and rather or not the government should get involved. What you’re doing is reductio ad absurdum (probably not spelled right) on cocaine. But it doesn’t work because it’s apples and oranges.

1 Like

Really, Hitler? I would be on Hitler’s shit list. I am not ethically correct and Catholic. 2 no-no’s in the 3rd Reich.

Would you say the members of the local govt are a reflection of the will of the local people?

The Little Rock Nine were physically assaulted by other students. The town voted to keep schools closed for a year in order to avoid desegregation. I don’t think the lynchings and cross burning were government sanctioned.

That’s old testament dude. Christians are called on to love God and love their neighbors as themselves.
We don’t stone people, we don’t ignore science or do any of the crap Richard Dawkins accuses us of being or doing.
Most of us try to be better people everyday.

Who is we?

WTF?

No, I’ll say yes. I’m curious as to where you’re even trying to go with this.

You said above you think the govt should hands off and America should solve discrimination with boycotts instead of laws (I agree in nearly all scenarios btw).

In the case where local/state govt is actively and openly discriminating ala pre civil rights south, is that not a reflection that the public at large also discriminates? Or at the very least that the discrimination doesn’t bother them nearly enough to sway their votes?

Edit: I would also ask whether or not the govt handling discrimination IS the public handling it, but by way of legislation instead of boycotts

You can be as skeptical as you want. But what you think we are and what we should be is bullshit, complete and utter bullshit.
If you are going to talk about us, the least you can do is be somewhat accurate.
Otherwise it looks like plain old bigotry.
The one thing the 4 horsemen were not is educated theologians.

Riiight. An ‘old buddy of yours.’ Got it.

1 Like

You say government. We’re talking about different governments. Federal vs State and Local. When they desegregated schools in the south they sent in Federal Marshalls to protect the students. Either the local police couldn’t be trusted, or had refused to protect the rights of those students.

Again, I’m mystified as to how we went from dinner and wedding cakes to Nazis and Lynchings.

They sent in the Airborne in Little Rock.

It was the governor of Arkansas who first sent in the National Guard to keep the kids out and his decision was supported by the people who actually voted to close the public schools for a year in order to stop desegregation.

I only got the temporary boot from a couple. That dude was on the lifetime list!

1 Like

You’re right about the Airborne and I’m wrong, you won the Internet. Yay!

Actually you just proved my point.

Could you please explain how state governments denying the rights of citizens has anything to do with small businesses denying service to customers?

So you have a problem with the 1st ammendment?