T Nation

Smelling Fish Oil Caps Safe to Use?

I have a bottle of fish oil caps here that kind of stick together at first when I shake the bottle. It also smells kind of fishy. I took all the pills out and none seem to be broken although some are a little soft. There's no oil or anything left in the bottle.

This happened to the last bottle I bought as well so I think it had to do with the way I keep them stored. It gets pretty hot in my house during the day so I think the pills are kind of melting a little bit.

Is it safe to take these or should I throw them away again? Would it be better to freeze the next batch to avoid the same problem?

You could always take them, and then let us know how it goes :slight_smile:

If in doubt, throw them out.

This has happened to me before also. I wasn't sure, but they smell like ass and the thought of ingesting rancid fish oil convinced me to toss them. Now I shake the bottles before I buy them to make sure everything is in good order and make sure to store them in a cool place.

I would agree .I have been saving the silica gel packets from other tabs and put in with my fish oil capsules to keep them fresher

You do realize that fish smells fishy, right?

They always smell this way esp. when you first open the bottle. The good ones have a little Vit E in it for preservation I believe...

Just to followup, I have food poisoning right now. I'm not 100% sure if it's from the fish oil caps but the doctor thinks it's a possibility. I haven't eaten anything else potentially bad lately though and I started feeling bad about 6 hours after ingesting 4 of the fish oil caps. I'm pretty sure it was the fish oil. I'm throwing the rest out just to be safe.

You should have tossed 'em. If you want to find out if food is rancid, eating it is probably not the best method.