SmashinWeights: How Do You Train?

Here are my thoughts on cardio:
I don’t do any anymore.
lol
Back when I was in college I would spend hours walking ok the treadmill while studying.
I used to think it helped me focus but all my friends said I was so dumb.
They were right.
Now, my LIFE is my cardio.
I ride a bike, I walk, I jog, why would I need extra cardio?
SmashingWeights personal secret
I always take the stairs. It keeps me young.
I live on the top floor of my building and always use the stairs.
BOOM, life cardio.
I think this is why I’m constantly sweating?
It was 55 in my apartment the other night and I was still sweating!

I’ll be back later.
Time to train!!!

At one point I felt like lifting was taking up TOO much of my time.
I decided that I would hold out for a set peroid of time.
I planned to “abstain”, if you will, so I signed a contract, in front of God and Men to stay pure.
A weightlifting born again “virgin.”
I strapped on my weightlifting chastity belt and locked it down.
I had to test what was greater, my addiction to iron or my will power?
Guess what?
Will power.

[quote]Smashingweights wrote:
Here are my thoughts on cardio:
I don’t do any anymore.
lol
Back when I was in college I would spend hours walking ok the treadmill while studying.
I used to think it helped me focus but all my friends said I was so dumb.
They were right.
Now, my LIFE is my cardio.
I ride a bike, I walk, I jog, why would I need extra cardio?
SmashingWeights personal secret
I always take the stairs. It keeps me young.
I live on the top floor of my building and always use the stairs.
BOOM, life cardio.
I think this is why I’m constantly sweating?
It was 55 in my apartment the other night and I was still sweating![/quote]

Lol I study and do cardio. Only way I am in med school and its the only way for me to pass classes. :slight_smile:

Great physique, level headed, intelligent outlook on the goings-on of TN. Definitely on board for this thread. I had a lot of my own inspiration from fictional characters as well.

S

Have you competed in anything before?

Supps you use?

[quote]The Mighty Stu wrote:
Great physique, level headed, intelligent outlook on the goings-on of TN. Definitely on board for this thread. I had a lot of my own inspiration from fictional characters as well.

S[/quote]
Thank you stu!
You are probably my biggest “hero” here on this site.
I appreciate your kind words!

More to come.
Are the photos showing up as red T boxes for others as well?
Steely said if you click them the actual picture will show up.

[quote]lumbahjack wrote:
Have you competed in anything before?

Supps you use?[/quote]
I competed in various gym contests which would be non sanctioned powerlifting meets I guess but the only real competition I have done was a physique show.
I was so excited, I trained and trained for it.
I had the goofiest looking posing you had ever seen but eventually I dialed it in and was ready to rock!
One of my best friends, Ole Buck, overheard the judges talking and basically they said I was too big and too conditioned for physique!!
It was disappointing but Ole Buck cheered me up and we went and watched The Hobbit at our local Sacroplex Cinemas 18.

As far as supps go I’m a basics kind of guy.
Whey
Multi Vit
Fish Oil
Pop Tarts

I think part of my passion for weights came from an unfortunate accident I had as a kid.
I remember it like it was yesterday.
I was in Mr’s McCourmic’s class in 5th grade sitting next to Suzy Wilson.
She she had curly red hair and was so pretty.
Some of us guys used to call her Sexy Red.
We I was sitting next to sexy red when I felt my stomach grumble.
At the time I blamed it on that second chili dog I had at lunch but now as I look back it maybe have been the gluten in the buns?
Anyway, I tried to get out of class as fast as I could and avoid Mrs McCourmic’s annoying lesson plan who knows what.
Well I almost made it out of the door, I thought I was home free but before the door closed behind me I let out a huge fart, some might call it a Toot.
From that day forward I was stuck with a farty nickname that still haunts me to this day.
I remember smashing weights as a youngster thinking when I got big no one would make fart jokes about me lol
Stupid gluten.
Miss you Sexy Red.
You were my first love.

Warning, wine cooler inspired rant ahead:

When I moved away from home and my fathers gym I bounced around looking for gyms.
I tried everything from Ballys to 24 Hour to Golds and finally settled into a very small, hole in the wall local place called Natiunic O.R.N. Fitness.
The atmosphere was intense!
Loads of serious lifters doing their thing, it was great.
I became friends with one of the guys who worked the front gate turnstyle thing and we became lifting partners.
We hit the gym hard!
We crushed workouts, joked about small guys wearing sweatshirts to the gym and occasionally splurged on a few McDoubles (if it fits your macros remember?)
Things were going great, I loved going to NU Fitness (that’s what locals called it) and I was making great progress.
One day I went in for my normal workout and my lifting partner was working the front deal that day.
We joked around a little bit and then I handed him my keys with my scannable pass attached.
He scanned it and got a funny look on his face.
After a few more scans he explained that my pass had expired and was no good.
I had forgotten to renew my membership and they were no longer accepting members!
I tried to talk to him but there but there was no getting in.
Next thing I know he yanks my gym pass off my key ring, reaches into his pocket, puss out a lighter and burns my gym pass.
I couldn’t believe it.
Burned my gym pass right before my eyes, I was crushed.
It was a Terrible day and even now I haven’t found a gym that could compare.
That place was a true temple of iron.
I thought my old WO partner was my bro but I guess not.
I always suspected that he stole $20 from me one time?

Moral of this rant:
A good gym and a good lifting partner (until they burn your gym pass) go a long way.

one of my favourite posters on the site this guy

good physique

good lad

good thread

Good stuff smashing.like your down to earth,grounded way of looking at training,life etc.Great build,good attitude and all around good guy.Thanks for sharing.

From that day forward I was stuck with a farty nickname that still haunts me to this day.
[/quote]

Your real name doesn’t happen to be “Marty”, does it?

No particular reason for asking…

[quote]SteelyD wrote:

[/quote]

Your real name doesn’t happen to be “Marty”, does it?

No particular reason for asking…[/quote]
No it isn’t Marty.
That would be a pretty interesting name to have but I have much more of a hipster name Than Marty unfortunately.
I used to love my first name but then it became fairly popular so I hate it now.
Do you know someone with a similar story?
That would be incredible!

[quote]rds63799 wrote:
one of my favourite posters on the site this guy

good physique

good lad

good thread[/quote]
Much obliged RDS.
You are one of my favorites as well.
Keep the good info coming

[quote]jppage wrote:
Good stuff smashing.like your down to earth,grounded way of looking at training,life etc.Great build,good attitude and all around good guy.Thanks for sharing.[/quote]
Wowie wow!
All of these kind words and truly touching.
I did not expect such a warm welcome!
If I would have known I would have posted sooner and lurked less.
I almost feel bad, I expected some backlash for my “out there” views on things.
I feel like a young southern girl who brought home a dog she wasn’t supposed to, a pug maybe?
I kept little brown secret hidden away in the basement, afraid daddy would find out and I woukd get in big trouble.
The pug might even be kicked and beaten.
Poor little pug, he didn’t deserve that.
Little did I know it was ok to let it out.
Thank you again for the warm welcome.

[quote]jppage wrote:
Good stuff smashing.like your down to earth,grounded way of looking at training,life etc.Great build,good attitude and all around good guy.[/quote]

AND he lists Poptarts are one of his basic supplements. My kinda meathead.

S

Ever since I graduated high school I have been bet meticulous about my nutrition .
My philosophy is “If it Fits Your Macros”

The other day at work we had a little party.
Did I eat a ton of chips and guacamole?
You bet!
Did I eat two big brownies?
You bet!
Was I so full I felt like I couldn’t breathe?
Yoooooou bet! Ha ha ha
You know what I did?
I adjusted my macros for the day and subtracted the added carbs from what I was going to have that day.
I actually went to the movies that evening but couldn’t have popcorn because it didn’t fit my macros.
You know what I did?
Snuck in a couple grilled chicken breasts and got my protein on!
A mans gotta eat ya know?
Track your macros, of it fits it fits!
I’ve been known to post numerous food pictures on my social media sites, lots of burger and ice cream.
I just make it fit my macros but I guess it just exposes my inner fat kid that is screaming to come out.
Nutrition 101, SmashingWeights style.[/quote]

Yes. T-Nation seems to be stuck in 2005 nutrition wise so it’s nice have a big/lean guy say this.

“I’ve been known to post numerous food pictures on my social media sites, lots of burger and ice cream.
I just make it fit my macros but I guess it just exposes my inner fat kid that is screaming to come out.
Nutrition 101, SmashingWeights style.”

you sonofabitch