T Nation

SmartWater

[quote]Donut62 wrote:
themonthofjun wrote:
Ok I just realized something about the new formulation.

It has more protein, slightly less carbs. Most importantly it has MUCH less Sodium and added Potassium and Phosphorus ergo it adds electrolytes! So you might not need SmartWater.

…what?
[/quote]

…wrong thread - he’s refering to Surge.

Interesting thread, I’ll have to remember to bring some Smartwater with me next time I’m out at the range or on FTX. I had a mild heat injury last year in Louisiana on FTX, I was so paranoid of getting dehydrated that I went overboard and ended up with an IV in my arm that night, good times.

[quote]rsg wrote:
Donut62 wrote:
themonthofjun wrote:
Ok I just realized something about the new formulation.

It has more protein, slightly less carbs. Most importantly it has MUCH less Sodium and added Potassium and Phosphorus ergo it adds electrolytes! So you might not need SmartWater.

…what?

…wrong thread - he’s refering to Surge.[/quote]

Well yes and no. Since Surge has added electrolytes (Hence teh SmartWater ref), I figured that it might be relevant to this thread also. I guess no one else did.

Wow I will definitely look into that. My eyes don’t sting but my black shirts do turn white. Did you use to drink gatorade also or just water?

[quote]Airtruth wrote:
Wow I will definitely look into that. My eyes don’t sting but my black shirts do turn white. Did you use to drink gatorade also or just water?[/quote]

Gatorade is poison.

[quote]themonthofjun wrote:
Well yes and no. Since Surge has added electrolytes (Hence teh SmartWater ref), I figured that it might be relevant to this thread also. I guess no one else did.[/quote]

I’m genuinely curious: why would you think it was relevant? (You also posted your same comment in the Surge thread.) I think you might be confused about what Surge is used for.

Surge is a good product but has limited uses. Most of us only use it, if at all, after a heavy lifting session. I suppose you could use it after HIIT, and I would use a half-dose every now and then. But it’s hardly as versatile as water. (I’m shaking my head in bewilderment as I type that last line.)

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
themonthofjun wrote:
Well yes and no. Since Surge has added electrolytes (Hence teh SmartWater ref), I figured that it might be relevant to this thread also. I guess no one else did.

I’m genuinely curious: why would you think it was relevant? (You also posted your same comment in the Surge thread.) I think you might be confused about what Surge is used for.

Surge is a good product but has limited uses. Most of us only use it, if at all, after a heavy lifting session. I suppose you could use it after HIIT, and I would use a half-dose every now and then. But it’s hardly as versatile as water. (I’m shaking my head in bewilderment as I type that last line.)[/quote]

I know what Surge is used for but I just realzed it also had a broader use with electrolyte replenishment (on hindsight I did not know that Surge also had that original intended purpose).

I looked up SmartWater after I read your post and I read that article. Then I looked at Surge this morning and realized that they had reduced the sodium (350mg -> 50mg) and added Potassium and Phosphorus.

So I thought -> Surge Improved by added electrolytes -> Some people using Gatorade instead of Surge (cost or electrolytes abundance) -> Surge has less Sodium (no hypo/hypernaturemia) so you would not need SmartWater during training.

When I read about SmartWater I immediately thought about using it in my Surge during training.

Edit: training

Will drinking SmartWater help with excessive sweating? I sweat excessively I think (and have been told by others) and sweat also stings my eyes as well.

I had been becoming more concerned that I was drinking a lot of water that was purified, thereby depriving me of minerals.

FYI Targets brand of water “Market Pantry” has the same minerals added as in Smart Water, but they claim it is for taste.

Either way, it is a lot cheaper than Smart Water. I thnk my wife pays $5.00 a case.

Dr. Mario DiPasquale raves about the electrolyte combination in SmartWater (though he doesn’t mention it by brand) in the latest PL USA.