Smartphone Reccomendation

[quote]JSMaxwell wrote:
It will be 2 years on August 1. I’ve got the most basic talking plan plus a $10 a month text message add-on. I’m not giving them much money so they don’t seem to anxious to help me out with an early upgrade.[/quote]

You can try to call CS 800-922-0204 and talk to a rep to see if they can “move your upgrade date” because you want to get a smartphone. Sadly store reps are losing their power for stuff like that but CS reps on the phone can change dates, they also might just send you an x2 and renew if you’d prefer. All you have to do is call be nice and tell them what you’d like believe me when I say Verizon wants your money for 2yrs and wants you on a smartphone as that’s where the company makes most of it’s money now.

Just want to say thanks for everyone’s help. I just got off the phone with customer service. They can’t do the discounted upgrade right now, but he did suggest something.

I have an old blackberry. He said I could set up the data plan now to get in on the $30 a month unlimited data plan, then when my upgrade hits on August first I can upgrade to the droid and keep the $30 a month unlimited data plan on the new phone.

Anybody here have the HTC sensation?

Just got a droid X2 last night, and to be honest I’m kind of disappointed. It’s really slow, like I was waiting several minutes for a 40 sec low-quality video to load. I’m not sure if that’s the phone or the network tho, the only thing I really have to compare it to is my girlfriend’s htc, and she’s on sprint. The icon at the top kept switching between 3G and 1x, tho, so maybe it’s just verizon.

Mostly bought it because it seemed to have the best camera and screen of the ones I looked at in the store, so hopefully that works out. I compete in strongman so I think it’d be cool to have my girlfriend film my events and upload them while I’m still catching my breath

[quote]JSMaxwell wrote:
Hello,

-I’m kind of tech savy and am totally able to follow instructions to root a phone and flash a new ROM if that is the way to go

[/quote]

Okay can you explain this more please, or anybody else. I have the HTC EVO for sprint.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]JSMaxwell wrote:
Hello,

-I’m kind of tech savy and am totally able to follow instructions to root a phone and flash a new ROM if that is the way to go

[/quote]

Okay can you explain this more please, or anybody else. I have the HTC EVO for sprint.[/quote]

What do you want to do?

You can flash custom ROMS (Operating System builds) to Android handsets, which is useful for getting newer versions and updates if your handset manufacturer is holding them back.

[quote]KBCThird wrote:
Just got a droid X2 last night, and to be honest I’m kind of disappointed. It’s really slow, like I was waiting several minutes for a 40 sec low-quality video to load. I’m not sure if that’s the phone or the network tho, the only thing I really have to compare it to is my girlfriend’s htc, and she’s on sprint. The icon at the top kept switching between 3G and 1x, tho, so maybe it’s just verizon.

Mostly bought it because it seemed to have the best camera and screen of the ones I looked at in the store, so hopefully that works out. I compete in strongman so I think it’d be cool to have my girlfriend film my events and upload them while I’m still catching my breath[/quote]
Are you in a bad area? If you’re going to 1x then you’re looking at slower than dial up speeds on a phone, you might want to do a quick reset battery pull on the phone to see if that fixes the issue otherwise it could be defective as well and you have 14days to exchange in store like for like.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]JSMaxwell wrote:
Hello,

[/quote]

Okay can you explain this more please, or anybody else. I have the HTC EVO for sprint.[/quote]

What do you want to do?

You can flash custom ROMS (Operating System builds) to Android handsets, which is useful for getting newer versions and updates if your handset manufacturer is holding them back.[/quote]

No idea man, extending battery life is what I really want. I bought a big one off Gorilla.com and it has helped some. I was just wondering if what he was referring to would help that. Honestly I have been very happy with the Evo, probably best phone I have ever had.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]JSMaxwell wrote:
Hello,

[/quote]

What do you want to do?

You can flash custom ROMS (Operating System builds) to Android handsets, which is useful for getting newer versions and updates if your handset manufacturer is holding them back.[/quote]

No idea man, extending battery life is what I really want. I bought a big one off Gorilla.com and it has helped some. I was just wondering if what he was referring to would help that. Honestly I have been very happy with the Evo, probably best phone I have ever had. [/quote]

IME, get something other than an Android if you want a good battery life. That’s probably the #1 gripe I have with them.

I have the Droid Incredible, and love it. The Droid X is humongous, which is the main reason I didn’t pick it. I carry my phone in my pocket, and the Incredible is probably the max size I’d want to have to hold. The camera is great, but the shutter speed isn’t super fast. The video camera is good as well, and you can upload pics/vids from the phone to youtube, or facebook, picasso, email, all that good shit.

Only battery issue I’ve had is when I’m the internet with it and playing games for hours at a time, it eats up the battery.

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]JSMaxwell wrote:
Hello,

[/quote]

What do you want to do?

No idea man, extending battery life is what I really want. I bought a big one off Gorilla.com and it has helped some. I was just wondering if what he was referring to would help that. Honestly I have been very happy with the Evo, probably best phone I have ever had. [/quote]

IME, get something other than an Android if you want a good battery life. That’s probably the #1 gripe I have with them.[/quote]

I’ve got a Samsung Fascinate and the three things that make a big difference WRT battery life:

1. setting screen timeout to 15 seconds
  2. running task killer frequently
  3. turning off wi-fi if I’m not using it.

[quote]Stronghold wrote:

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]JSMaxwell wrote:
Hello,

[/quote]

What do you want to do?

IME, get something other than an Android if you want a good battery life. That’s probably the #1 gripe I have with them.[/quote]

I’ve got a Samsung Fascinate and the three things that make a big difference WRT battery life:

1. setting screen timeout to 15 seconds
  2. running task killer frequently
  3. turning off wi-fi if I’m not using it.[/quote]

I do this all the time, also turn of navigation, blue tooth, and 4G.

I’ve had a Nexus one for about a year and loved it. Got a HTC Sensation this past Friday after the power button broke again and it was past warrenty. It actually seems to manage power better than Nexus one despite haveing better hardware. I’m just waiting for HTC to unlock the bootloader.

I would recommend anything made by HTC and with andriod on it. Everything I’ve seen from them has been higher quality and their customer service is excellent as well as the first year warrenty is pretty good.

Andriod doesn’t suck battery life, users do. It’s all in how you set it up and use it. There’s a power widget, put it on your screen and you can turn on/off wifi/gps/bluetooth or adjust screen brightness on the fly. You dont’ need all these on when it’s just sitting in the pocket. Also I would strip whatever UI the carrier puts on your phone. Stock Andriod or a custom ROM will be more functional and save you power. Most of the stuff they put on is just cosmetic and their branding.

[quote]CEZAR wrote:
Also I would strip whatever UI the carrier puts on your phone. Stock Andriod or a custom ROM will be more functional and save you power. Most of the stuff they put on is just cosmetic and their branding.[/quote]

Okay I do all that stuff, on my EVO. What is this custom ROM or Stock Android?

This is why I think ‘tomb-stoning’ apps, like the iPhone and Windows Phone do, is the way to go for multitasking. You don’t need to worry about managing apps or whatever, draining your battery. If you want that power, then fine - but the average user shouldn’t need to worry about what processes are running as you would on a desktop computer.

You can also get an app (I think) that manages these tasks for you (If you can’t, well then here’s an idea).

Example: you set times and locations within the app, so when you’re at home it disables GPS, 4G and Bluetooth and when you’re on the road it disables WiFi, or only enables these features at certain times - so essentially a set and forget app.

Windows Phone has a battery saver feature coming in the Fall update, which automatically turns off certain services (such as push notifications, WiFi, etc) and can give you up to 2 hours extra battery life. Pretty clever feature.

How about audio quality with all of the smart phones? I know, I know, nobody actually uses their phones to talk anymore. Well, I do. I am up for a new phone right now too, and my current phone, LG VX11000, has sucky audio for calls. I can’t hear shit if there is any ambient noise whatsoever. I want a phone that is pretty decent with apps and internet and battery life, etc, but that has sound good enough for me to have a conversation while walking down the street.

DB

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:
How about audio quality with all of the smart phones? I know, I know, nobody actually uses their phones to talk anymore. Well, I do. I am up for a new phone right now too, and my current phone, LG VX11000, has sucky audio for calls. I can’t hear shit if there is any ambient noise whatsoever. I want a phone that is pretty decent with apps and internet and battery life, etc, but that has sound good enough for me to have a conversation while walking down the street.

DB[/quote]

First, I think Verizon has the best network for call quality in the US.

Second, I would say the iPhone and Nokia have the best call quality, from experience. But, because of the iPhone 4’s retarded antenna design, I wouldn’t recommend it. Perhaps the next one.

My HTC is alright, nothing to write home about. I would say, wait for the upcoming iPhone, Nokia N9 or Nokia Windows Phone and choose between those.

I’ll be selling my HTC when the new Nokia WP is out.

[quote]DJHT wrote:

[quote]CEZAR wrote:
Also I would strip whatever UI the carrier puts on your phone. Stock Andriod or a custom ROM will be more functional and save you power. Most of the stuff they put on is just cosmetic and their branding.[/quote]

Okay I do all that stuff, on my EVO. What is this custom ROM or Stock Android? [/quote]

Stock andriod is just Andriod straight from Google. You wipe your device and load just Android 2.3 for example without all the other crap. Like other linux variants, it’s open source. You can make your own custom version and load that too. Or one that someone else has made, CyanogenMod for example is really good. This is what alot of carrier’s and handset manufactuer’s do. Just like your desktop/laptop or tablet you can load any operating system you want be it one someone else made or one you made or modified.

Getting either the Droid charge by Samsung or the Droid incredible. I like the smallness of the 2 but was wondering what you guys expierences have been with either one?

[quote]RSGZ wrote:

[quote]dollarbill44 wrote:

DB[/quote]

First, I think Verizon has the best network for call quality in the US.

Second, I would say the iPhone and Nokia have the best call quality, from experience. But, because of the iPhone 4’s retarded antenna design, I wouldn’t recommend it. Perhaps the next one.

My HTC is alright, nothing to write home about. I would say, wait for the upcoming iPhone, Nokia N9 or Nokia Windows Phone and choose between those.

I’ll be selling my HTC when the new Nokia WP is out.[/quote]

Thanks. Everyone always says “wait for the next one”, whatever technology is being talked about. At some point, you have to buy something, right?

DB