Smart Choices for Cars

Yeah; they look a bit silly. But they are cool. And yes; safe.

But at the price and the MPG; you can either spend the same and get another car with similar MPG or spend less and get the same MPG.

I’d get a black one, tint out the windows and do what I could to make it faster. (Yes, a company makes Turbos for that little 3 cylinder).

no, it’s not because I care about the environment.
in fact my co-workers are always picking on me for my lack of respect for “mother earth”.
it’s about spending less $$.
I can perform nearly any repairs needed, it doesn’t need a state inspection, no property tax or insurance, and I get some cardio.
except for getting groceries, a bicycle works fabulously to get around town in urban to semi-urban areas.

[quote]miroku333 wrote:
no, it’s not because I care about the environment.
in fact my co-workers are always picking on me for my lack of respect for “mother earth”.
[/quote]

Read the book titled “Cool it.” I forget who it’s by, but he’s a Danish guy. (Not that I’d be able to spell it, even if I did remember.)

He talks about how reducing CO2 emissions is a ridiculously ineffective and ridiculously expensive way to save the world, then provides other ways to do it. It’s extremely eye opening.

That said, I’m all for saving the earth. I’m also for doing it based on facts, not propaganda spat out by Al Gore.

Oh, as for those cars. Fucking lame. I almost rear ended one because he decided to pass right at the crest of the hill, doing a whopping 65mph in the left lane (on i80, where the speed limit is 75.) I think it was then I began to hate them. I’m sure I would have driven straight through him and I wasnt even in an SUV.

Part of the reason I drive a truck is because I hate climbing down into a car when I get in. I can’t imagine getting in and out of one of these clown cars everyday.

Until I have to buy one, no thanks. I love my 4Runner. I don’t have to worry about water after a thunderstorm or when a high tide floods the streets. I can see what’s going on down the road. I can carry 5 adults and a cargo and tow a trailer. I can parallel park with the best. I’m not worried about flipping my runner if I hit a fat racoon on the road. I know a lot of PC people hate SUV’s but I’m not a PC person.(PC: Politically Correct or Petite Cajones)

Smart car - 33city 41 hwy - $12,235 - Hp 70 @ 5800 RPM - Tq 68 @ 4500 RPM - 1/4 Mile ET: 19.210 1/4 Mile MPH: 70.500 Payload Base Capacity 507(WTF?) A.C. optional(required in S.C.!)Whats the Hp, Tq, and mpg when you turn on the ac?

Runs on compressed air.

http://www.mdi.lu/english/

Yeah, I’ll stick with my SUV as well.

That said, I’d consider a Smart if I was back in London. No congestion charge, cheap parking, cheap tax, good MPG. London is a crazy expensive place to run a car otherwise.

I got an old Honda Accord at the height of gas prices here and except for the low seat position, I love it. 32 mpg on the highway is amazing when you switch from a 4x4 pickup that gets <15.

That said, the Accord or comparable is probably the smallest vehicle I’m willing to own or operate, on principal.