T Nation

Smallville vs Hollywood

[quote]Beowolf wrote:
doogie wrote:
As someone who never read comics, it is very strange to hear people discuss these cheesy, pop-corn movies so seriously. I’m sure it sounds the same way life and death football discussions sound to my wife.

So many movies based on novels turn out to be shit, but very rarely do people take it as personally as comic book readers do when their movies turn out to be shit. Is that because so many years are devoted to the stories and characters (versus a few days to read a novel)? Or do you really see that much potential to make a GREAT comic book movie that can stand on its own?

When a book is made into a bad movie, you it’s usually at least somewhat like the book. The bcharacters are atleast minimally developed.

People assume comic books are all smash and pow action, when in reality they have just as much and sometimes more character developement and plot than normal books. So the movies come out incredibly campy, cheesy, and repetitive.

[/quote]

Its also harder to translate the imagery that’s acceptable in a comic to live action (not saying animated would be any better). There’s alot that can be done with still imagery that can’t be done with motion. It reaches people on different levels. Still imagery allows more time for personal imagination to play a part in the story vs. motion which pretty much lays it out for you. Sure, this varies, but its part of the reason why ‘fanboys’ get so pissed when a movie isnt exactly like the images and stories they’ve absorbed for so long.

I’ve been very hit and miss with Smallville. I need to go out and buy the DVD’s and catch-up, because I stopped watching full-time after Season 3.

Haven’t seen Superman Returns yet so I can’t comment on the film, but it doesn’t sound all that appealing.

Batman Begins was a great movie. X and I have talked before about how this was one of the best films of 2005, yet because it was based on a comic and a re-launching of a film series that was already done, it was snubbed in the major award shows.

I think most people hit the nail on the head though as to why Smallville is a great show and that’s outstanding character development.

I used to love Smallville, until that one episode when Lona was possessed or something by a witch. Her acting has been terrible in the series ever since, and they were going too far into paranormal stories.

They should let ‘Charmed’ handle that stuff. Even if Alyssa Milano was bad at acting (which she isn’t!), it would still be a great series.

I agree about the first couple of seasons of Smallville though, especially Lex’s character development.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
I used to love Smallville, until that one episode when Lona was possessed or something by a witch. Her acting has been terrible in the series ever since, and they were going too far into paranormal stories.

They should let ‘Charmed’ handle that stuff. Even if Alyssa Milano was bad at acting (which she isn’t!), it would still be a great series.

I agree about the first couple of seasons of Smallville though, especially Lex’s character development.[/quote]

I hated the whole “witch” thing in season 4. I think it was the only way they could keep her character in the show regularly that season. I chalked it up to that and let it slide because she’s nice to look at (plus it allowed them to explain why he’s vulnerable to the supernatural).

Lex Luthor on Smallville has been the best adaptation of that character I’ve seen from a live actor. The movie version sucks in comparison…which is saying a lot.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
I used to love Smallville, until that one episode when Lona was possessed or something by a witch. Her acting has been terrible in the series ever since, and they were going too far into paranormal stories.

They should let ‘Charmed’ handle that stuff. Even if Alyssa Milano was bad at acting (which she isn’t!), it would still be a great series.

I agree about the first couple of seasons of Smallville though, especially Lex’s character development.[/quote]

I agree.

My wife and I both really enjoyed seasons one through three.

We started watching season four, and it seemed like the show all of a sudden started getting pressure from the network to include more sex scenes. It seemed so random and irrelevant. I am not against sex scenes by any means, but it can be difficult watching them with the misses.

Lana’s acting has bothered me since the start. But overall Clark’s acting has continued to improve (it wasn’t bad to begin with), I couldn’t be more pleased with Lex, and Clark’s parents both do well.

[quote]SWR-1240 wrote:
I used to love Smallville, until that one episode when Lona was possessed or something by a witch. Her acting has been terrible in the series ever since, and they were going too far into paranormal stories.

They should let ‘Charmed’ handle that stuff. Even if Alyssa Milano was bad at acting (which she isn’t!), it would still be a great series.

I agree about the first couple of seasons of Smallville though, especially Lex’s character development.[/quote]

That witch thing lasted way too long. They were really stretching it by connecting it to Clark’s ancestry as well. That’s one of the ideas they’ve done amidst good material that I haven’t been able to understand. But also, I wouldnt say her acting has changed much. Haha! She has three acting faces that i’ve noticed, trouble-time face, oh-Clark!-smiley-neutrogena-commercial face, and neutral. Tom Welling isnt much different. But all his best moments of acting were when he was playing Bad Clark. However, he’s getting better, along with the storyline. And I still love the show either way and get pissed when I miss it. Why? Because it can hit all my ‘fanboy’ super-hero lovin’ buttons at once or it can make me laugh at how goofy it can be. For example, it was awesome to see him fly, but I also laugh every time someone just ‘shows up’ at Lex’s mansion because 1. how do they just walk in? and 2. Why the hell would a several years older mutli-billionaire industrialist be hanging around with these kids? hehe Its a damned good time!

As someone who has been watching most of this first season of Blade: The Series, I’m liking it thus far. I was amazed to realize that Blade is played by Sticky Fingaz from Onyx (blanking on his real name) who actually bulked up a bit from his rapping days. He does a fairly good job with Blade, although I think he goes a little over the top in intensity at times.

The one knock I have on the show that confuses me is that everyone who is bitten by a vampire and dies comes back as a vampire. WTF? So is every single victim of their over the years going to walk the earth as a vampire? Maybe I missed something.

But overall, good show, I dig it. Plus the woman who plays Krista totally does it for me.

I for one get angry when a movie doesn’t acuratly protray the former media…if it’s from a book, tv show, comic book.

I think I was the only one that left the Lord of the Rings upset because they left out Tom Bombadill, for me whe I see something on screen that I have dreamed about sence I was a kid and they change it. or edit it so they can sell tickets to someone that has never read the comic I feel that my childhood has been raped.

It upsets me, I complain a bit to my friends, I have a drink then I wait in line for the next one. hopping this time they will get it right…

Gotta say being a guy who doesn’t really watch much TV at all, other then a few select episodes. Smallville has been the only show that i actually give a damn about missing but on my TV theres all different episodes on a scatter of networks at different times.

Then summer came and I lost track and now I dont even know when its on…with that if anyone in ontario knows what station has the current ones id be a happier person :smiley:

Godzilla pretty much sums up what hollywood usually does when trying to make a blockbuster.

[quote]PGA200X wrote:
Godzilla pretty much sums up what hollywood usually does when trying to make a blockbuster.[/quote]

That was the saddest raping of a concept I have ever seen. The only reason I didn’t walk out is due to my loyalty to Ferris Bueller.

[quote]LNEX wrote:
I for one get angry when a movie doesn’t acuratly protray the former media…if it’s from a book, tv show, comic book.

I think I was the only one that left the Lord of the Rings upset because they left out Tom Bombadill, for me whe I see something on screen that I have dreamed about sence I was a kid and they change it. or edit it so they can sell tickets to someone that has never read the comic I feel that my childhood has been raped.

[/quote]

I was kinda glad they left Tom out, because I thought that part was kinda silly. Although, it would have offered a hint of explanation as tio why Merry’s sword affected the Witch King the way it did.

Am I the only one on here that just thinks Smallville is OK? There have been eps that I kind of dug, but then there are a lot of episodes that I just want to throw my remote at the tv. I’m not trying to be negative, but there are MUCH better shows on tv.

As for comparing the different mediums, I think the best was the Superman animated series.

Just my .02

I guess directors/writers want to leave their own mark on a film instead of just following a comic storyline.
This by the way totally sucks.
Did’nt Sin city have frank millar work very closly on the film? It was great.

Blade is very good - we see a bit more of the characters history and the story is well done - i think they should stop at 1 series.

While i have’nt seen much Smallville i do like how luthor is portrayed and acted.

Is it just me or does anyone else wish Bryan Singer had stayed with X-Men 3 - it could have been so much better.

By the by - i thought Daredevil was excellent :slight_smile:

[quote]Ryu wrote:
I guess directors/writers want to leave their own mark on a film instead of just following a comic storyline.
This by the way totally sucks.
Did’nt Sin city have frank millar work very closly on the film? It was great.
[\quote]

He was a ‘co-director’. Robert Rodriguez had to resign from the director’s guild so that could happen.

[quote]
Blade is very good - we see a bit more of the characters history and the story is well done - i think they should stop at 1 series.

While i have’nt seen much Smallville i do like how luthor is portrayed and acted.
[\quote]

You probably mean lex, but while I expressed by ambivalent feelings about Smallville, I think the guy who plays Lionel is awesome. He has made many episodes worth watching.

[quote]
Is it just me or does anyone else wish Bryan Singer had stayed with X-Men 3 - it could have been so much better.

By the by - i thought Daredevil was excellent :)[/quote]

I also liked Daredevil, though it had many flaws. I personally liked the tone .

And yes, most of us think Singer should have done X-3.

I find I enjoy well plotted out series and mini-series more than movies.

Movies pretty much have to stick to the 3 act rule. That doesn’t give them much room to tell a original story.

Also if you want a good black superhero, I’d have to say my favorite black superhero right now is Nighthawk from Supreme Power. It is Marvels darker spin on DC main characters. How would the DC characters be if they had different backgrounds and experiences.

He’s a based off of Batman if he was black and parents where killed in a hate crime instead of a holdup. The other standout in the series is Hyperion, who is Superman if he was raised by a manipulative government project instead of Ma and Pa Kent.

[quote]holifila wrote:
Am I the only one on here that just thinks Smallville is OK? There have been eps that I kind of dug, but then there are a lot of episodes that I just want to throw my remote at the tv. I’m not trying to be negative, but there are MUCH better shows on tv.

As for comparing the different mediums, I think the best was the Superman animated series.

Just my .02[/quote]

The Superman animated series sucked plain and simple. The only reason it lasted as long as it did was because they paired it up with Batman’s. They were only able to save that character through the Justice League series (which is the effort they should have actually held onto).

[quote]Tim Schwab wrote:
SWR-1240 wrote:
I used to love Smallville, until that one episode when Lona was possessed or something by a witch. Her acting has been terrible in the series ever since, and they were going too far into paranormal stories.

They should let ‘Charmed’ handle that stuff. Even if Alyssa Milano was bad at acting (which she isn’t!), it would still be a great series.

I agree about the first couple of seasons of Smallville though, especially Lex’s character development.

I agree.

My wife and I both really enjoyed seasons one through three.

We started watching season four, and it seemed like the show all of a sudden started getting pressure from the network to include more sex scenes. It seemed so random and irrelevant. I am not against sex scenes by any means, but it can be difficult watching them with the misses.

[/quote]

Um, did you just say thats its difficult for you to watch “sex” scenes from smallville with your wife?

What in the hell is the world coming to?

[quote]BoxBabaX wrote:
Tim Schwab wrote:
SWR-1240 wrote:
I used to love Smallville, until that one episode when Lona was possessed or something by a witch. Her acting has been terrible in the series ever since, and they were going too far into paranormal stories.

They should let ‘Charmed’ handle that stuff. Even if Alyssa Milano was bad at acting (which she isn’t!), it would still be a great series.

I agree about the first couple of seasons of Smallville though, especially Lex’s character development.

I agree.

My wife and I both really enjoyed seasons one through three.

We started watching season four, and it seemed like the show all of a sudden started getting pressure from the network to include more sex scenes. It seemed so random and irrelevant. I am not against sex scenes by any means, but it can be difficult watching them with the misses.

Um, did you just say thats its difficult for you to watch “sex” scenes from smallville with your wife?

What in the hell is the world coming to?[/quote]

Wow…

[quote]Professor X wrote:
holifila wrote:
Am I the only one on here that just thinks Smallville is OK? There have been eps that I kind of dug, but then there are a lot of episodes that I just want to throw my remote at the tv. I’m not trying to be negative, but there are MUCH better shows on tv.

As for comparing the different mediums, I think the best was the Superman animated series.

Just my .02

The Superman animated series sucked plain and simple. The only reason it lasted as long as it did was because they paired it up with Batman’s. They were only able to save that character through the Justice League series (which is the effort they should have actually held onto).[/quote]

Cool, another person I disagree with. Oh well to ech his own.

X, have you checked out Battlestar Galactica?