Small People, Big Leg Press. WTF?

eh, I NEED the leg press to be filled or else I cant get ROM.

I can go knees to outside of my ribs fine with a full sled. If there are 5 plates on it, there’s my quarter rep.

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

I can go knees to outside of my ribs fine with a full sled. If there are 5 plates on it, there’s my quarter rep.

[/quote]

I thought vampires could move their ribs at will?

[quote]Hip Scar wrote:

[quote]Ct. Rockula wrote:

[/quote]

I thought vampires could move their ribs at will?[/quote]

who the hell told you that shit?

I like to have it go thud at the bottom, then start from a dead start while pulling my butt down by holding onto the handles at the side. In my mind I am probably taking some kind of unconscious stand against the quarter reppers but I also like dead start stuff in general.

I actually load more up in the squat than the leg press though, probably to facilitate this form, and hardly leg press ever in general.

Most of those 1k lb guys seem to just unlock it and shake it around near the top, my favorite addition being when they grab their knees to help. Sometimes youll see legit reps tho. I think it is definitely a distinct skill, or ability to let go of skill, from squats and deads that has to be practiced.

Vid from this week of Jay Cutler showing his leg press technique

[quote]Jaz464 wrote:
Vid from this week of Jay Cutler showing his leg press technique

[/quote]

Jaz, you have a gorgeous body.

Oh, thanks for the vid too.

Well, thank you Iron Dwarf. I’ve been lurking for quite some time and decided to join in on the forums. Thats a warm welcome.

[quote]The3Commandments wrote:
Can someone pop a vid of what they consider good depth for the leg press? This has me concerned that I’m not going low enough.[/quote]
seeing a video won’t really matter since you don’t have the same biomechanics as whoever you’d see in a video. Just focus on going as deep as YOU can go

On standard 45º degree leg presses model I can load up the sled with 1050 pounds and a bit more and go deep and not get anything from it. I think these models of leg press allow you to get away with too much weight easily.

But if it’s one of those Cybex Squat presses/leg presses ( the ones where you load the plates under the plate and it does kinda like a “circular” motion) or an or Icarian leg Press ( where the angle is a bit higher than 45°) then I don’t need more than 7-8 plates per side to kill my quads.

Pic is the Squat Press model I talked about. Love it.

I think the amount of weight used is definitely due to range of motion but also due to genetic structure. I’m one f those guys that can hit 10 to 11 plates per side for 10 reps and my thighs are barely 25 inches. But I’m just under 6’1 with long legs o short torso ratio. I don’t go super deep cause then my ass comes up off the pad and I wind up herniating my discs like I did so many times in my younger years but my knees definitely go past 90 degrees.

In the end I rarely do leg presses because the only place I get sore is my adductors and my glute ham tie ins even though while I’m doing them my queads get pumped hell. Not the exercise for me.

I use the leg press with same mentality as when squatting no deeper than when my lower back starts to round.