Small Dunk Vid

[quote]adarqui wrote:
the thing about rdl/45 degree hypers is it’s a true stim… it leaves alot of latent neuromuscular stimulation, so that lighter movements now have more power… it’s just like using SQUAT as a stim exercise… i used 45 degree hyper because you can hold a position in triple extension, just like you are in a jump… and from the angle, this really activates the p-chain incredibly.
[/quote]

I really like the idea of a 45 degree hyper because, as you stated, you can hold the position in triple extension. Refresh my memory, the potentiation effect only lasts ~5-10 minutes correct?

[quote]adarqui wrote:
Avocado wrote:
Im thinking heavy B.O.M.B. throws would have an even better effect than RDL’s or 45 hypers. If you can get heavy enough med balls. Or just chuck plates pinned together. I dont have any athletes right now with vert goals though.

-chris

well, it’s just like with jump squats… you reach a certain point where you can get too heavy for it to be productive… i’ve used heavy db swings as a potentiator for vert before with positive results… very slight results, but results nonetheless… i used a 60 lb. db… anything heavier i would just be muscling it up too much.

the thing about rdl/45 degree hypers is it’s a true stim… it leaves alot of latent neuromuscular stimulation, so that lighter movements now have more power… it’s just like using SQUAT as a stim exercise… i used 45 degree hyper because you can hold a position in triple extension, just like you are in a jump… and from the angle, this really activates the p-chain incredibly.

i’ve only used rdl as stim a few times just to play with it… it definitely had a positive effect on my broad jumps… i didnt test it with vj or anything, only broad jumps.

to potentiate broad jumps in the athletes i trained, i’d use med ball scoop throws & rdl’s… definitely works.

peace[/quote]

I think scoop throw = BOMB throw for clarity. i think. And by heavy i mean in the sense that a 20lb med ball is heavy. Not as in proper heavy. But some 10lb standard plates pinned make a great throwing unit. rough on the turf though.

I like the idea of holding the trip ext position w/ 45’ hyper. Thing is i hate 45’ hyper because it crushes my balls if it isnt a split pad version which are hard to find. I typically use RDL/good mornings to avoid ball crushing.

-chris

[quote]DGC13 wrote:
adarqui wrote:

I really like the idea of a 45 degree hyper because, as you stated, you can hold the position in triple extension. Refresh my memory, the potentiation effect only lasts ~5-10 minutes correct?
[/quote]

ya, isometrically holding the bar in triple extension, at that 45 degree angle, really stimulates an insane amount of tonic activity in the calfs/hamstrings/glutes and erectors… you will feel everything in your entire body being stimulated too, not just p-chain… grip/upper back/shoulders/abs and quads also are working very hard… some crazy electrical activity is going on during that exercise.

it depends on how intense you go…

4-8 minutes in general… i used shorter rest periods for my iso extension stim experimenting… 2 minute rest periods still got me a good amount of potentiation… i bet if i rested 4 minutes, that would have been optimal.

stuff in my notes from Verkhoshansky’s work (http://www.verkhoshansky.com):

study: the effect of throwing an object after stimulatory work increases on the average by 38-40% after preliminary stimulating work (pressing a barbell with 80% of maximum, 3 sets of 3, followed by rest between first and second bout of work for 5-6 minutes.

• movement time reduced, amplitude is greater, speed of movement increased significantly, power of work increase significantly
  • trace phenomena in the NS and their effect on subsequent work are the end result of many factors: force of the tonic influence, degree of fatigue and time separating the preceding and subsequent work

another study of his:
after tonic work (back squat in this case), the max effort increases by 26% from the initial level after the first minute, and then by 4th/5th minute it reaches 65%. “the amount of time required for the maximum increase in effect falls 2.6% immediately after tonic work. Then this time drops to 3-4 minutes up to 4.6%, and the subsequent increases exceed the initial level considerabley.”

• the effect of the stimulation determines the amount of time to reach a maximum of force & duration of the after-effect of the tonic work. It is important at which moment the subsequent work starts.

another study of his:
maximum height of the vertical standing jump is reached after the 3rd/4th minute. The difference is a 6.8% increase over the initial level. After the back squat, an increase of 8.0% from the initial level is realized in the 8th-10th minute after depth jumps.

this is great data from his supermethods text (best text ever):

back squat @ 70-80% for 2x5-6 reps (rec 2-4 min)… rest 4-6 minutes… single leg hops 2-3x6-8 (rec 4-6 min)… rest 6-8 minutes…
back squat @ 80-85% for 2x2-3 reps (rec 3-4 min)…rest 3-5 min… weighted jumps 2-3x4-6 (rec 3-4min) …rest 6-8 minutes
back squat @ 90% for 2x2-3 (rec 3-4 min)… rest 4-6 min… jump squats @ 30% for 3x6-8 (rec 3-4 min)… rest 8-10 minutesback squat @ 90-95% for 2x2 (rec 2-4 min)… rest 4-6 min… depth jump (h = 0.75m) 2x6-8 (rec 4-6 min)… rest 8-10 min

peace mang

LOL

[quote]Avocado wrote:
adarqui wrote:
Avocado wrote:
Im thinking heavy B.O.M.B. throws would have an even better effect than RDL’s or 45 hypers. If you can get heavy enough med balls. Or just chuck plates pinned together. I dont have any athletes right now with vert goals though.

-chris

well, it’s just like with jump squats… you reach a certain point where you can get too heavy for it to be productive… i’ve used heavy db swings as a potentiator for vert before with positive results… very slight results, but results nonetheless… i used a 60 lb. db… anything heavier i would just be muscling it up too much.

i’ve only used rdl as stim a few times just to play with it… it definitely had a positive effect on my broad jumps… i didnt test it with vj or anything, only broad jumps.

to potentiate broad jumps in the athletes i trained, i’d use med ball scoop throws & rdl’s… definitely works.

peace

I think scoop throw = BOMB throw for clarity. i think. And by heavy i mean in the sense that a 20lb med ball is heavy. Not as in proper heavy. But some 10lb standard plates pinned make a great throwing unit. rough on the turf though.

I like the idea of holding the trip ext position w/ 45’ hyper. Thing is i hate 45’ hyper because it crushes my balls if it isnt a split pad version which are hard to find. I typically use RDL/good mornings to avoid ball crushing.

-chris[/quote]

ya, check my other post above this one…

ya for me, and my weaklingness, a 12 lb. ball is pretty effective… for some football players ive trained, 12 lb. is like a toy… so 20 lb. would be perfect for them… i dont like some of the insane 50+ lb medball throws ive seen on youtube… i mean not for explosiveness… i also dont like all of these kneeling power cleans i’ve been seeing on youtube, i mean wtf? but thats another thread :wink:

i’ve never had ball crushing during a 45 degree hyper… maybe thats why i rely on my high socks to get the girls.

i’ve had ball crushing on GHR… ball & quad crushing… so damn uncomfortable…

worst “crushing” is on reverse hyper… just groin crushing in general.

peace

adarqui - thanks for the info man…i greatly appreciate it. i’ve read alot of your posts and plan on implementing some of this training in the future.

[quote]DGC13 wrote:
adarqui - thanks for the info man…i greatly appreciate it. i’ve read alot of your posts and plan on implementing some of this training in the future. [/quote]

ya just make sure you understand the volumes & intensities properly… for people who havn’t done depth jumps/drops, it’s essential they progress slowly… because, it seems so easy… but people just don’t realize the type of impact it has on the joints/tendons etc if your body has not been progressively exposed to the stimulus.

i always say that because i just dont want no one to rush into big box heights / big volumes and get hurt.

once you start progressing slowly, you’ll fig everything out.

peace man

Ya…im one of the rare ones who, when in doubt, does LESS than i think is sufficient. that’s just what ive found to work in my training. i always used to say “this isn’t working, so i must have to go heavier higher etc”. turns out i was wrong…now i know its all about slow progression. i also dont want to start DD or DJ until i have a squat 2xbw.

one of my past professors was working with a grad student on post activation potentiation and rest periods. they found the rest periods to be HIGHLY variable between subjects in the study. they had optimal results ranging from 2 minutes to i think 10 minutes. makes is pretty hard to give a clear cut answer to athletes…it is extremely individual

[quote]DGC13 wrote:
Ya…im one of the rare ones who, when in doubt, does LESS than i think is sufficient. that’s just what ive found to work in my training. i always used to say “this isn’t working, so i must have to go heavier higher etc”. turns out i was wrong…now i know its all about slow progression. i also dont want to start DD or DJ until i have a squat 2xbw.

one of my past professors was working with a grad student on post activation potentiation and rest periods. they found the rest periods to be HIGHLY variable between subjects in the study. they had optimal results ranging from 2 minutes to i think 10 minutes. makes is pretty hard to give a clear cut answer to athletes…it is extremely individual[/quote]

i don’t think its necessary to squat 2x in order to do true plyos / drops btw… even though it would help, simply because you are stronger, it is not needed… a DD/DJ is a different expression of strength, which we all have experience with in some form or another, especially in sports like basketball/football etc.

here’s another quote by verk, this time in response to a question on his forum:

"Russian sprints/jumps experts, at least in the past, suggested that athlete should be able to squat 2.5 times of his body weight if he wants to introduce high intensity plyometric training to avoid injuries. So I would ask one more question.

I don?~@~Yt agree, I think that, to avoid injuries during the Depth Jumps performing, it?~@~Ys need not so match to have the higher level of maximal strength, but to enforce preliminary the legs muscles and joints."

he’s basically just saying that you must progress properly with depth jumping itself, regardless of maximal strength levels… could be 1.5x, 2x, 2.5x… etc… i mean, if one squats 2.5x and thinks they can just go do a depth jump from 36" at a moderate volume, and not risk injury, would be very silly… no matter what level maximal strength you have, the impact upon landing might not be dampened properly by the muscles & tendons… this would put alot more impact on the joint articular surfaces, whcih is definitely not a good thing.

cool, what exercise are they using as stim?

i think that, in very experienced athletes, the rest periods would be less variable… im assuming most of the people in the study are active college students? regular gym goers and people in good shape will tend to have much different rest periods… athletes who are used to approaching 1RM’s in squat etc, and who have very well developed work capacities, will pretty much have similar rest periods…

thats just my guess

if your professor is doing this study on say, the D1 football athletes at the school, then ya i’d be surprised and wrong in my previous assessment ^^

peace

Or maybe it’s the low squat. Gotta side with CoolCoolJ on this. Big Squat = Big STANDING vert. Running/1-step verts don’t require lots of relative strength (e.g. Ziani), standing verts do.

Adarqui, do you know how much your 1 legged running vert has improved by since you started training?

Also, have you had any success in making significant improvements in the single leg verts of any of your athletes?

Thanks

[quote]nopal_juventus wrote:

the biggest reason i have a gap between standing versus running is the fact that i just DO NOT practice svj’s… i just dont like to practice them, so the motor patterns are still crappy… plus i dip down like 2" on my svjs (probably because my body is thinking its a running vert)… not going deeper in the svj definitely hurts it… so my SVJ is probably pretty good considering i dont dip down hardly at all hehe… nah, it still is pathetic :wink:

Or maybe it’s the low squat. Gotta side with CoolCoolJ on this. Big Squat = Big STANDING vert. Running/1-step verts don’t require lots of relative strength (e.g. Ziani), standing verts do.[/quote]

no…

1.5 years ago i hit 124" off vert… (this is about when i stopped training it)…

as of now, i’ll hit maybe 123-124" on a good day with vert… my squat has gone up considerably since 1.5 years ago.

alot of people on these forums just don’t understand motor programming… i’ve consistently practice 1-2-3-4 and 5 step running verts for 2 years… i practiced standing vert for basically 6 months until i got bored with it (my progress matched my running vert progress)…

some people can make gains in vert by just squatting and not actually jumping… perhaps those people are the ones who use “deeper dips”, who knows… maybe they just have alot more starting strength than I do… i definitely have to practice standing verts in order to improve…

if you look at frank yang’s videos, you realize how much he enjoyed doing these from a stand still… or without any loaded eccentric… he loved doing verts, box jumps, seated box jumps, single leg box jumps, broad jumps, and squats.

i am the complete opposite mindset… i love doing reactive movements, everything preloaded… i do not enjoy one bit doing something from a static position… can’t explain it.

but ya, improving squat is highly correlated with standing vert… but you’d thnk after gaining 90 lb. on max squat or soo that my standing would go up… running went (i practice these) up, but standing went down (i never practice these) or stayed the same.

peace

[quote]Regular Gonzalez wrote:
Adarqui, do you know how much your 1 legged running vert has improved by since you started training?

Also, have you had any success in making significant improvements in the single leg verts of any of your athletes?

Thanks[/quote]

hey, just like with my standing vert, i don’t train one leg…

hasn’t really gone up at all.

i used to play alot of basketball, havn’t played in years, i just dribble for fun & dunk… but i imagine if i did play basketball it would have gone up because of all the single leg layups etc.

yes ive only really trained one person for single leg vert… i helped take him from 11’2" touch to 11’4.5" touch… it took ~5 months… could have got the results sooner, but, instead we built a very good base for 3 months… in which his running vert actually started to go down… we used alot of volume/variety of exercises, because he had never weightlifted in his life… after 3 months were down we went right into a power/max strength cycle and got 3.5" in 2 months…

could have kept going i bet, but his work schedule etc just ruined everything :confused:

here’s a video of his (eddie) 137.5"… he has tons of videos on my youtube:

his stats in that vid from the description:

“135.7” touch

brings him to:

• 40.5"(single arm reach)
  • 43" (double arm reach)"

^^ heavy squatting, 12" barbell stepups, lunges, single leg bounding, and ankle drills all helped his vert…

actually come to think of it i’ve trained two… this is taje, eddie’s friend, he went from ~116" touch to 124" touch in about 6 months or so…

here’s him owning poor man’s ghr’s… went from not being able to do one eccentrically, do being able to do a ton down/up:

TAJE - NATURAL GLUTE HAM RAISES (GHR) ON SORINEX PMGHR - YouTube <— completely owning them… best ive seen on youtube… we never video taped it, unfortunately, but he got to the point where he could do speed reps… freefall eccentric then transition… my hamstrings would hurt just watching… he did get ALOT faster once he started mastering PMGHR… i like pmghr alot better than regular GHR, but its just too intense for most people.

he basically trained the same way eddie did, except he squatted more, and did more plyo drills… he sucked at absorbing force, so he needed alot of force absorption/plyo drills.

peace man

Sounds cool man. Care to elaborate on what they were training for? To be good athletes in general or a certain sport, etc?

[quote]Nian wrote:
Sounds cool man. Care to elaborate on what they were training for? To be good athletes in general or a certain sport, etc?[/quote]

well, eddie is my friend & taje is his friend. so they were just training for speed/vert at the facility i worked at… for fun basically.

though eddie could probably high jump collegiate level… unfortunately he doesn’t.

peace

[quote]adarqui wrote:

i don’t think its necessary to squat 2x in order to do true plyos / drops btw… even though it would help, simply because you are stronger, it is not needed… a DD/DJ is a different expression of strength, which we all have experience with in some form or another, especially in sports like basketball/football etc.

"Russian sprints/jumps experts, at least in the past, suggested that athlete should be able to squat 2.5 times of his body weight if he wants to introduce high intensity plyometric training to avoid injuries. So I would ask one more question.

I don?~@~Yt agree, I think that, to avoid injuries during the Depth Jumps performing, it?~@~Ys need not so match to have the higher level of maximal strength, but to enforce preliminary the legs muscles and joints."

he’s basically just saying that you must progress properly with depth jumping itself, regardless of maximal strength levels… could be 1.5x, 2x, 2.5x… etc… i mean, if one squats 2.5x and thinks they can just go do a depth jump from 36" at a moderate volume, and not risk injury, would be very silly… no matter what level maximal strength you have, the impact upon landing might not be dampened properly by the muscles & tendons… this would put alot more impact on the joint articular surfaces, whcih is definitely not a good thing.

i think that, in very experienced athletes, the rest periods would be less variable… im assuming most of the people in the study are active college students? regular gym goers and people in good shape will tend to have much different rest periods… athletes who are used to approaching 1RM’s in squat etc, and who have very well developed work capacities, will pretty much have similar rest periods…

thats just my guess

if your professor is doing this study on say, the D1 football athletes at the school, then ya i’d be surprised and wrong in my previous assessment ^^

peace[/quote]

Oh its definitely not necessary to squat 2xbw before starting DJ’s, but it will help prevent any injuries…plus i want to get to my squat goal before i start other training. i completed the “20 rep squats”, just starting 531 for 2 cycles, then plan on moving to amort drills, plyos, etc.

As for my professors study, i thought it was published in JSCR but i couldnt find it. i think you are right though…that it was conducted with “recreationally trained college students” just like 95% of all studies. makes the results difficult to apply to novice+ athletes. BTW, they were using BS as stim…

[quote]DGC13 wrote:
adarqui wrote:

thats just my guess

peace

Oh its definitely not necessary to squat 2xbw before starting DJ’s, but it will help prevent any injuries…plus i want to get to my squat goal before i start other training. i completed the “20 rep squats”, just starting 531 for 2 cycles, then plan on moving to amort drills, plyos, etc.

As for my professors study, i thought it was published in JSCR but i couldnt find it. i think you are right though…that it was conducted with “recreationally trained college students” just like 95% of all studies. makes the results difficult to apply to novice+ athletes. BTW, they were using BS as stim…[/quote]

ya the recreational subjects thing is annoying… need more advanced athlete studies.

back squat as stim for recreational subjects rarely works… might work for some, but most people will be drained and never get the stim effect… at least thats what i’ve seen… a few studies back this up though on using squats as stim… the stim effect is highly dependant on the experience of the athlete… less experience individuals just get burnt.

peace

[quote]adarqui wrote:
Regular Gonzalez wrote:

Thanks

i used to play alot of basketball, havn’t played in years, i just dribble for fun & dunk… but i imagine if i did play basketball it would have gone up because of all the single leg layups etc.

yes ive only really trained one person for single leg vert… i helped take him from 11’2" touch to 11’4.5" touch… it took ~5 months… could have got the results sooner, but, instead we built a very good base for 3 months… in which his running vert actually started to go down… we used alot of volume/variety of exercises, because he had never weightlifted in his life… after 3 months were down we went right into a power/max strength cycle and got 3.5" in 2 months…

could have kept going i bet, but his work schedule etc just ruined everything :confused:

“135.7” touch

brings him to:

^^ heavy squatting, 12" barbell stepups, lunges, single leg bounding, and ankle drills all helped his vert…

actually come to think of it i’ve trained two… this is taje, eddie’s friend, he went from ~116" touch to 124" touch in about 6 months or so…

here’s him owning poor man’s ghr’s… went from not being able to do one eccentrically, do being able to do a ton down/up:

TAJE - NATURAL GLUTE HAM RAISES (GHR) ON SORINEX PMGHR - YouTube <— completely owning them… best ive seen on youtube… we never video taped it, unfortunately, but he got to the point where he could do speed reps… freefall eccentric then transition… my hamstrings would hurt just watching… he did get ALOT faster once he started mastering PMGHR… i like pmghr alot better than regular GHR, but its just too intense for most people.

he basically trained the same way eddie did, except he squatted more, and did more plyo drills… he sucked at absorbing force, so he needed alot of force absorption/plyo drills.

peace man[/quote]

Nice! I love how effortless Eddie’s jumps look.

If you don’t mind, could please give a brief explanation of what taje’s weekly training setup looked like. It doesn’t need to be too specific.

I’m just looking for some ideas to implement when my off season comes around in a few months.

Thanks man

[quote]Regular Gonzalez wrote:
adarqui wrote:
Regular Gonzalez wrote:

Thanks

“135.7” touch

brings him to:

peace man

Nice! I love how effortless Eddie’s jumps look.

If you don’t mind, could please give a brief explanation of what taje’s weekly training setup looked like. It doesn’t need to be too specific.

I’m just looking for some ideas to implement when my off season comes around in a few months.

Thanks man

[/quote]

ya eddie is a spring…

taje’s training went through a bunch of phases…

basically, first phase was GPP, getting used to lifting, etc. since he never lifted:
~3 months:

• some jumps/sprints
  • some light force absorption stuff (he was very bad at this)
  • walking lunges, stepups, weighted lunge holds, light box squat
  • core

then he transitioned into
~1 month:

• jumps/sprints
  • double leg hurdle jumps (could only get 3 feet) / force absorption stuff
  • squat, lunges, stepups, hamstrings
  • core

then transitioned into
~1 month:

• plyos/jumps/sprints ← he was now getting 6 feet between hurdles on the double leg hurdle jumps after a few months of this routine)
  • squat, stepups, ghr
  • core

then he pretty much kept doing that last routine listed…

he got his squat up from ~1.1xBW to 2xBW in 7 months or so…

he became REALLY GOOD at squatting & ghr’s…

his times got better as his squat went up/ghrs got better… but he did have alot of down days because of how heavy he squatted and his experience level… we deloaded 1 session a few times just to see where he’d be at with jumping/sprinting…

here’s a vid of his 123.5", he’s 5’7" (150 lb.)… i forget his reach, but its VERY short heh… he needed only about ~3 more inches to catch a self lob dunk… i dont train with him anymore though so i dno what he’s doing.

squat was a little high in the vid…

peace man

sup

i dont wanna create a new thread that’d be ooberlame… so i hope yall dont mind me bumping this thread with a few more vids until im over 40" rvj…

- YouTube <------ dunkz.

flying ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

haha!

it’s legit ten ft btw… weird how it looks when camcorder is kinda close… anyway i linked pics in the description of that vid from a real far camcorder angle…

so far after purely shock-like workouts… im bouncing like a damn spring… i feel so much pop… mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn happy… just have to make sure i dont over do the depth drops/plyos.

peace