Small Calorie Deficit All Year

It’s always weird to me when someone clearly putting the work in (great job by the way) asks a specific methodology question, and then we tell them what their goals should be.

I write this knowing I just did the exact thing in the D1 athlete thread… but when I do it, it’s cute.

5 Likes

My two cents’ worth: as EyeDentist says, you’re in good nick.

In fact, condition-wise, I would say we are pretty similar at the moment. We also come from a similar starting point (I’ve shed around 28lbs since the start of the year). For these reasons, my goal at this moment in time is to get from lean to very lean. I hate slow tapers (posted frequently about that). So in your shoes, I would be looking at something similar, e.g. a 10-15lbs drop (7-10lbs FM) but in 3-4 weeks.

To be honest, it’s fair comment when you put yourself out in forums like this. Based on his comments, I did not expect the OP to be in the condition he is. And I don’t mean to disrespect him by saying that. If he’s shipped 25lbs to get to where he is then he deserves a shed load of credit - as he has done a hell of a lot more than most of the regular guys who were posting over on the Transformation thread!

2 Likes

I’m really not being negative, because I do it myself. It’s hard to tell online where someone’s current state is, so I think it opens up some gray area. For instance, in regular life, if a teenager asks about how to best finance debt for risky investments, you’re going to tell him his real question needs to be about how to spend less than he makes. If a 40-year-old venture capitalist asks the same question, you’re not going to tell it’s the wrong question. We don’t get that context as easily on the Internet, so it makes our responses read strangely when you’re late to the party.

I also wasn’t reacting to your comment, although I now see it was in the same vein.

Understood, my friend. Always found you a reasonable voice on here.

1 Like

Thanks!

You’re in REALLY great shape so, broadly speaking keep doing what you’re doing.

From here in you just need to dip in to small cuts here and there though out the year and/or crank up metabolic work, cardio or add finishers etc

Good tweaks and calorie/carb cycling tips here…

Thread seems to have gone screwy so I don’t when this question was asked but it depends if we are talking about whether this is someone who hasn’t exercised in 20 years or a master athlete.

Generally, I wouldn’t be telling a 40-something to chase muscle building but more to get their diet looking good, address any movement issues and just working on strengthening movement patterns they are going to be doing for the rest of their lives. If new muscle comes with it then great.

Thanks for the advice on this. I’m going to continue with this plan for several months and see how everything goes. At my age and with limited time it’s mostly just about maintenance for me.