T Nation

Small and Mighty (Diet for Strength)

Hey guys, i was just wondering what the best kind of diet to eat is if you want to stay at a smaller weight and get stronger at the same time. Do you just lower your caloric intake? or is more complicated?

There are like a hundred different variables in your question man.

Body type; current weight; goal weight; carb tolerance; training frequency; training style; training volume; reason for wanting to stay at a certain weight.

Start with a diet at maintnence calories. A search on google will give you the many formulas used to find this.

Start with equal macronutrient breakdown. 33% protein/carbs/fats respectively.

Make your carbs come from fruits and vegtables. If you maintain or lose weight, add in starches. If you gain weight, lower total intake. There is no right diet. There is no right training program.

Log what you do, every two weeks evaluate and revise.

Well im a hard gainer (ectomorphic) i am about 160 lbs, 5’11. I would not like to excede 165 lbs. Im training for strength (low reps,heavy weight). My question was more or less if i could continue getting strong without gaining a ton of mass, and if there was specific food to eat for getting stronger but not getting bigger.

The reason i would like to stay smaller is because i wrestle and have to maintain a certain weight class. I was just wondering, thank you for the reply.

[quote]Backfl1p wrote:
Well im a hard gainer (ectomorphic) i am about 160 lbs, 5’11. I would not like to excede 165 lbs. Im training for strength (low reps,heavy weight).

My question was more or less if i could continue getting strong without gaining a ton of mass, and if there was specific food to eat for getting stronger but not getting bigger.

The reason i would like to stay smaller is because i wrestle and have to maintain a certain weight class. I was just wondering, thank you for the reply.[/quote]

I have a friend that is 5’8", 155lbs and benches 275 about 10 times. I believe thats the answer you’re looking for. Also, his bf is around 7-8%.

that is some good inspiration, thank you.