Slumped and Frustrated

Just gaining weight by any means necessary is easy. Go to any mall or Walmart across the country and you’ll find the large majority of the population has succeeded in doing just that. I don’t think just upping calories of poor food choices is the way to go for almost anyone - unless you’re a 16 year old who weighs 125 and wants to tryout for football. Changing your diet/training to set yourself up for years of success is the way to go once you’re an adult. Read a 531 book, a Dan John book, or other source that focuses more on longterm success and training/eating philosophy, and don’t get frustrated by your perceived progress (or lack of) in a short timeframe.

1 Like

Definitely. You’re eating lots of sugar right now (I tend to do that, too.) Sugar is a quick- burning, simple carbohydrate. It also give a quick spike in dopamine levels, which makes us temporarily happy. If you switch out a simple carb meal, like the breakfast cereal, with a complex carb meal, like oatmeal, I’d be willing to bet you still get the carb uptick your body appears to like while also giving yourself sustained energy.

Lest you think oatmeal is next to gruel, consider what you can add to it! I like a handful of walnut pieces, a handful of raisins or craisins, a pat of butter, a dash of cinnamon and, yes, brown sugar. I usually boil a couple eggs, and that’ll last me for a good four hours.

Alternatively, stirring a quarter cup of peanut butter into the oatmeal, then slicing an apple and/or dates in also makes a heck of a breakfast.

Changing one carb source for another at breakfast and adding in some quality protein will likely improve your energy level and mood for the entire morning. Oatmeal-plus-tasty-stuff is a go-to that may work well for you.

1 Like

I freaking love oatmeal. Such a versatile base for some delicious meals.

1 Like

Oatmeal isn’t the only cereal you can have either.

Try cream of rice or cream of wheat. To me, that stuff tastes a billion times better than anything else. Yes cream of rice is high GI, like sugar, but so is white rice itself and I don’t really believe food GI is all that important anyway.

But, like with oatmeal, you can add whatever you want to your cream of rice. Protein powder, peanut butter, sliced fruit, even cheese.

Personally I have it either with nothing added or with a splash of no sugar chocolate syrup. It just tastes too good by itself to me. You can have whatever you want on the side. I like eggs though.

You forgot polenta!

I don’t believe in magic bullets but there is something special about oatmeal.

And barley.

2 Likes

Mate, matters of body and muscle building are complicated and I bet even the best trainer will only suggest but when it doesn’t work, they will always find excuses. I am not in any way saying that you cannot achieve your set goal. What I am saying is that a certain program may work for someone else but produce negative results to another person. Yet we should not give up. I think as some contributors suggested here, measuring the food you eat is the only sure way that you are following the program. So, arm yourself with a calculator and chose any of the program that gives the results you are looking for. Calculate and measure the calories you take every single day. This way, you will be sure that you are eating the right amount and doing the right thing.

I’ve done worse (for chunks of time, not just an off day), I’m just too prideful to post.

Yeah, if I was to post how I ate in my teens/early 20s it’d be equally shameful…

Huge fan of grits/polenta myself. If I need to fuel up with some extra carbs for a hard workout or PR attempt the next day, that’s my favorite, hands-down. The wife and I make a pot of cheddar grits loaded with butter and milk…perfect winter comfort food to go with something like a beef roast or short ribs.

3 Likes

I’m actually drooling right now thinking about that.

You have some great ideas here. I’m definitely not a big breakfast eater. But I’m gonna force myself to wake up earlier and eat better at breakfast.

1 Like

Just went grocery shopping yesterday. Got cream of wheat, cream of rice, and oatmeal. Got a bunch of other stuff too. So hopefully I can stick to the new diet and use the information I’ve been given here. Now just need my leg to heal up.

2 Likes

Sounds good. Don’t stay inactive until your leg heals. Hit the gym and train the muscles that aren’t injured.

1 Like

Ah, you’re like my brother; he just can’t eat much for the first few hours he’s awake. Even a small meal can go a long way to helping you feel better. I like your cream of rice and cream of wheat ideas. They go great with butter and sugar! And they’re more nutritious than cold cereal, too.

@samul had good advice about doing what you can while waiting for your leg to heal. One of my legs was nearly destroyed by a 600-pound boulder. When I was on crutches, I’d hobble around to upper body machines. My arms got strong from lifting and being used as legs! When my leg was healed enough to swim, I got in cardio at the gym’s pool. A friend and former Special Forces soldier pointed out that there’s always SOMETHING we can train, even if it’s simple grip work.

As he pointed out to me, training something while recovering from an injury mentally and emotionally puts us back in the driver’s seat of our bodies. The injury makes it feel like we have reduced control over our situation. Training around the injury shows us we DO have authority, we just have to make different training choices while healing.

2 Likes

Yeah I plan to get off my ass and stop feeling sorry for myself tomorrow. I really don’t like eating in the morning, but I think I’ll get used to it after a while. Cool dog by the way!

Small steps will take you very far, and they’re easier to take. Just a quick bite and biceps and triceps session will totally change the tone for your day.

Thanks! I had him for 11 years. He was awesome.

Diet of a heroin addict was how one person described my eating.

2 Likes

blender

Not sure if anyone has brought this up… but if calorie intake is part of the issue. Drinking part of your caloric intake is a valid and proven option.

1 Like

I think it’s just age. I graduated HS at 135 and didn’t break 150 until I was 21. I didn’t start really putting on weight until I was 22ish. Then it wouldn’t stop…

OP, fix your diet now while your body still burns everything or you’ll most likely regret it.

1 Like

i wish i hadn’t seen this.

now i know i will HAVE to eventually try that

1 Like