Slow vs. Fast Refeeds

I’ve read a bit on carb refeeds, cheat meal manifesto, etc… but I’m wondering the advantage of the “power hour” approach, where you stuff your face with carbs for an hour (or however long) vs. something more sensible like adding a cup of rice or a sweet potato to each meal on the refeed day… or even something “junkier” like a granola bar or a slice of cake.

Psychologically, I suppose the 1 hour carb up lets you “let lose” and go crazy w/ a bunch of junk food you’ve been depriving yourself of, while limiting the damage because of the duration. The downside would be, for those of us that take it too far (such as myself), it puts us out of commission the rest of the day: can barely walk, need to take a nap, in pain, feeling like we’re going to puke, mild addiction, and the novelty wears off after the first 20 minutes.

Physically, I guess the power hour is supposed to limit the glucose spike to just one big one? It may also have a more pronounced effect on metabolism? The slow and steady approach just feels healthier compared to an over the top power hour… maybe the discussion is between slow, power hour, and over the top power hour.

I’m not too sure which is a better approach, tbh. The power hour can be fun, but I’m wondering if taking another approach may be better.

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:

The downside would be, for those of us that take it too far (such as myself), it puts us out of commission the rest of the day: can barely walk, need to take a nap, in pain, feeling like we’re going to puke, mild addiction, and the novelty wears off after the first 20 minutes.

[/quote]
Sounds like me once a week. Im starting to think the “slow” approach might be better, although allowing some leeway for the last meal of the day. For example have that pizza for dinner, but do not have 3 pizzas’s with a family size tub of cookies and cream ice cream.

tweet