T Nation

Slow Recovery On Deadlifts

! do the 2 days a week squat/bench and deadlift/press format, but am having issues with only one week between deadlift sessions. I tried using the 351 format, but I wasn't still having awesome workouts every time. My goal right now is focused on the deadlift and I want every workout to be awesome, so I am thinking about deadlifting 'heavy' every other week and taking 6 weeks for the 531 cycle.

If I do that then...

1. Should I also do the same with the squat?
  2. If yes, then can I add some additional accessory work on the light weeks (extra GHR and good mornings)?
  3. Stop the formal deload since I'm deloading every other week on the big lifts?

Cheers,
Bart

Don’t worry about the deload - too many people worry about this.
Pull every other week. Alternate with the SS Bar squat. Great for leg and total back strength. PUSH this lift.
Don’t be afraid to push higher reps with the SS bar as this bar is MADE for heavy work AND 15-20 reps.

Thank you sir. So the Elitefts SS Yoke bar is the one to buy, right?

Glad my wife actually likes this equipment in the garage.

nevermind, black widow has one and I wanted to get a row handle from them anyways

I have used many SS bars. The only thing I recommend is one that has some kind of handle on the yoke. I’m not sure what Black Widow is (I assume a company) so I cannot say one way or another.

It’s good to see a wife that is supportive of your pursuits to make yourself better. This is very rare. Every married person should have pursuits that fall outside the marriage and especially the kids.

[quote]Jim Wendler wrote:
It’s good to see a wife that is supportive of your pursuits to make yourself better. This is very rare. Every married person should have pursuits that fall outside the marriage and especially the kids. [/quote]

That is the truth. Marriage requires effort, goals and solid engagement - people think a marriage just ‘works’, that’s like thinking you’ll get stronger by standing near a squat rack every day.

My dog needs surgery for a ruptured CCL (and a bullet found during the x-rays), which means I’ve got a few months before I buy the SS bar - can I substitute hip belt squats as an accessory in the interim (can’t do front squats)?

I’ll toss out using the trap bar as an option since I’m pretty sure you have one. High handles and squat the weight up rather than deadlift it.

Thank you some_dude!

I tried it today. The trap bar squats you suggested didn’t really work out for me, BUT you triggered an exploration into alternatives. So I used a pair of tie-downs and made (hopefully) the first ever “strapped trap bar squat” device - it actually works great so far, you can subtly move the weight load on your back as you descend. Takes the load off of my lower back and allows for a close stance and depth.

I’ll get some better straps and some padding, but this thing is awesome so far. Let me know where to send your commission :slight_smile:

[quote]bartmann wrote:
Let me know where to send your commission :slight_smile:

[/quote]

Pay it forward. :wink: