Slow Negatives on Deadlifts?

If your goal is to deadlift heavy then you should not focus on the downward portion of the movement and remove your hands from the bar and reset your feet after each repetition. If you have some other goal than drive on.

[quote]FutureKing wrote:
and there are some people in my gym that do that they just DROP the weight once they lift it !
crazy stuff all together.[/quote]

On a Max attempt, I would be fine with anyone dropping the weight. But I wouldn’t try and make the negative any longer than it takes you to lower the weight under control. Why? Most people don’t have good form once they try and go really slow on deadlifts, especially if they are going heavy. And without good form on deadlifts, you are screwed.

Also, just think about grip strength. You want it to last as long as possible, but a eccentric in the deadlift does not ensure to help you when you are trying to get a higher max. Therefore, your grip dies without any real benefit.

Well today I did the workout. I just made a compromise, and did:

1,6,1,6,1,6 with heavy weight

Then I did DB RDL alternating with db single leg RDL for sets of 8-12. I think it worked pretty well. My problem still is that my upper body especially upper back, and lower back tire out much before my hamstrings or butt does.

But finishing up with the single leg RDLs seemed to help this problem a bit.

Ah i see ukranian very good point about grip.
But if you are doing slow eccentric then your weight should be lower than normal dl’s.
If your going for strength then there is no eccentric slowness, but for hypertrophy doesn’t time under tension come into play ?
If your just “dropping” the weight then tut is minimal… so in this case does slow eccentric have a position ?

Dankid im getting confused with your program…
Is Poliquin’s program for strength or hypertrophy ??
Can you link us to it ?
Are you doing the 1-6 program that i read on here ?
http://www.T-Nation.com/readArticle.do?id=459575

[quote]FutureKing wrote:
Ah i see ukranian very good point about grip.
But if you are doing slow eccentric then your weight should be lower than normal dl’s.
If your going for strength then there is no eccentric slowness, but for hypertrophy doesn’t time under tension come into play ?

If your just “dropping” the weight then tut is minimal… so in this case does slow eccentric have a position ?[/quote]

For hypertrophy, yes time under tension is important, but don’t forget that bigger weights also do help. Still, deadlifts are the one lift that can cause to much damage if done improperly. Eccentrics are a portion that can cause the damage if going too slow.

But, I have never done more than 8 reps for deadlift, so you shouldn’t read too much into what I say. I just don’t want to risk injury by going to slow. Just control the weight down, and do slow negatives on other lower back movements and other forms of DLs.