T Nation

Slow Negatives on Deadlifts?

Ive always done a controlled drop on deadlits, but im doing a Poliquin program now that prescribes a tempo of 5010.

Should I just do RDL’s or is it ok to do that slow of a negative on regular deadlifts?

How heavy are you going?

Well Im doing SGDL from a deficit, with about 165, and I could probably do 250-300 max.

The thing is im supposed to reach concentric failure in about 6 reps, and dont see how that will be possible.

If your not going heavy I would say you would be ok doing 5010. I would saay kinda play with the weight to see what you need to do to get that “6 rep Failure”. If you can do 7 or 8 I would so do them then put on a little more weight 5 or 10 lbs(on deads isnt much) and see if thats your 6.

Good luck

Maybe I’m wrong, but I would NOT recommend focusing on the negatives at all on deadlifts. I’m pretty sure I’ve read a lot of things about using a controlled motion, but not negatives by any means. I can’t remember the exact reasoning, but with such a big weight it’s just not very good for your body.

I do very slow (‘controlled’) Deads, but it’s not that I try to do a 6 seconds negative or anything, I focus on Time Under tension, and just basically attempt to keep the muscles working during the entire duration of the set.

Hurts a lot, without having to go super heavy.

S

It sounds like a greta way to rip something out.

Everything works for a while. Nothing works forever. It can be used effectively in a cycle.

TNT

[quote]Der Candy wrote:
It sounds like a greta way to rip something out.[/quote]

I’m inclined to feel the same way.

For something like Romanian deadlifts, where the plan is to pull it back up, slowly lowering the weight is fine. For regular, heavy deadlifts…no, it’s not. It’s a bad idea that won’t get you anywhere.

[quote]dankid wrote:
Ive always done a controlled drop on deadlits, but im doing a Poliquin program now that prescribes a tempo of 5010.

Should I just do RDL’s or is it ok to do that slow of a negative on regular deadlifts?[/quote]

Well what deadlifts does he say to do ?
I read ALOT about his work along with christian and other people.
Are they normal deadlift… snatch deadlift… romanian are COMPLETELY different to normal…
And for the normal deads yes course its fine to go for 5 seconds down… why wouldn’t it.

Does it hurt more the next day… HELL YES
Does it work better … HELL YES

Romanians really only work your hamstrings… nothing compared to the deadlift.

It says Snatch grip from a deficit.

While they are an excellant excercise.
theres also few people who have the flexability to do them from a box around 4-6" in height.
so have someone watch your form.
if your lower back rounds dumps the box and just do snatch deadlifts.
you will know what your posterior chain is the day after !

[quote]FutureKing wrote:
dankid wrote:

Should I just do RDL’s or is it ok to do that slow of a negative on regular deadlifts?

Well what deadlifts does he say to do ?
I read ALOT about his work along with christian and other people.
Are they normal deadlift… snatch deadlift… romanian are COMPLETELY different to normal…
And for the normal deads yes course its fine to go for 5 seconds down… why wouldn’t it.

Does it hurt more the next day… HELL YES
Does it work better … HELL YES

Romanians really only work your hamstrings… nothing compared to the deadlift.

[/quote]

Think of it like this. When you do Romanian Deadlifts, you generally don’t touch the ground. You go to a certain depth, and then you bring it back up. But with regular deadlifts, you want the bar back on the ground. Now, the only safe way to lower the weight is to use your hips, as with an RDL, but if you’re doing conventional deadlifts you’d just bend halfway then have to drop it anyway. And besides, you should be using more weight conventional than you could handle for RDL.

You shouldn’t be counting tempo with deadlifts in the first place. That’s a great way to get hurt.

May i ask how you get hurt slowing the tempo of the deadlift ???
i really dont understand how you can get hurt… your LOWERING the weight so i cannot see how your form can be bad… lifting it yes lowering it no …

maybe you can explain ?

It is simply asking too much from the lower back in my experience.

I don’t know of anyone that lowers their conventional deadlift slowly…

And for the sake of the complete rock-licking idiots that will read this, NO ONE is suggesting you should lock out a deadlift then relax your body and let the weight crash down like a fucking demolished building.

Of course you will use control when lowering the weight but nobody that I know or have heard of would actually count their tempo and reverse the movement in a slow fashion when lowering a deadlift.

well you have met one !
i do it on back squats and deadlifts sometimes.
or else to make it hard i will stop dead at the bottom for 1 second and then push as hard as possible.
with squats you will KNOW about it the next day along with the fact you remove the motion by stopping dead making it harder !
why dont you try it slowing the tempo and see how you get on, that would be the best way ?
or else you will never know if it works for you.

and there are some people in my gym that do that they just DROP the weight once they lift it !
crazy stuff all together.

Well I decided to change the way im doing them. The whole goal if this workout is to reach concentric failure between 6-8 reps of each set.

I cant do that unless i lift damn near my max with straps and forget about the slow eccentric. Its also supposed to be 10x6, so heres what im gonna do.

4x6, done as heavy as i can go to reach failure around 6-8 reps. (conventional)It doesn’t make sense to lift like 100lbs less than i can do, just so I can go down slow. So im gonna build up to a 6rm.

Then im gonna do 5-6 sets of 1 leg RDL and really focus on slow constant tension and try to reach failure again if possible.

I seem to have a lot of trouble fatiguing my lower body. My uppper body, i can just plop on a bunch of weight, and do some reps and reach failure around 8-12 reps usually. But with my lower body, i’ll do 8-12 reps, and have to stop because my grip or supportive muscles give out, but I know i could have done a few more reps.

We’ll see if adding the DB RDLs helps. Thanks for the input guys.

[quote]dankid wrote:
…)It doesn’t make sense to lift like 100lbs less than i can do, just so I can go down slow. …[/quote]

Exactly what I was going to say.