T Nation

Slow Cooker Recipes

I want to start using the crock-pot to make all my lunches for the weekdays.

What are some of your go to recipes?

I would like to use dishes that have all carbs, meat, and veggies in them!

Love the slow cooker.

Pot roast is the go to for me. Get a pot roast, some onion soup mix, whatever veggies you want and some potatoes if you want carbs (I go without). Turn it on low, go to work, come home to a great meal.

You can cook chicken in a similar way. Also good for making chili.

My wife and I make dinner in our slow cooker a couple days a week.

You can do a lot of stuff in the slow cooker, but most of what we do is fairly similar to what my pal Punisher described above: get a good hearty protein (pork shoulder, lamb shoulder, short ribs, or a whole chicken), add a chopped onion or two, maybe some garlic cloves, carrots and/or potatoes. Most cuts of meat can be cooked “dry” but you can also add some flavor with a little cooking liquid: broth, wine, beer, hard cider. A personal favorite of mine:

4-5 pound lamb shoulder
2 large apples
2 large onions
1 cup raisins
1 can/bottle hard cider

An optional step, but one that I think really adds something, is searing the meat in a skillet before you put it in the slow cooker. Just 3-4 minutes on all sides to brown it and get a little crust. Then drop it into the slow cooker, cover with chopped onions, apples, raisins, and the cider. Cook on low for at least 5 hours (although more really won’t hurt; you can leave it in as long as 10 hours, really).

Skin off boneless chicken thighs, pumpkin, onion, carrot. For flavour lime chutney and sriracha and if you want tamarind sauce with a little curry powder over the top. For the carbs you could add potato or sweet potato. Chuck it all in before bed on low and turn it off the next morning.

Pulled Pork BBQ
(1 teaspoon olive oil 1 (4 pound) pork shoulder roast 1 cup barbeque sauce 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar 1/2 cup chicken broth 1/4 cup light brown sugar 1 tablespoon prepared yellow mustard 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce 1 tablespoon chili powder 1 extra large onion, chopped 2 large cloves garlic, crushed 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme)

Place the pork roast into the slow cooker; pour in the barbecue sauce, apple cider vinegar, and chicken broth. Stir in the brown sugar, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, onion, garlic, and thyme. Cover and cook on High until the roast shreds easily with a fork, 5 to 6 hours-- or cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.

Remove the roast from the slow cooker, and shred the meat using two forks. Keep the juices in case you need to add it back into the meat.

All those recipes sound soooo good! I will give those a try in the coming weeks.

This was my first try at it tonight:

-3 lbs of chicken thighs (boneless, skinless)
-1 lb potatoes
-3 large carrots
-2 tbsp butter
-1/2 large onion
-2 tomatoes blended
-handful of cilantro
-1 cup chicken broth
-5 pieces of garlic
-spices: salt, pepper, garam masala, turmeric, parsley flakes, basil flakes

I wish I had time to sear the chicken thighs, but I’ll try that next time!

Few questions:

1. How many lbs of a meat can you make in a regular size one?

2. How do you get the dish to not be too watery?

3. How many meals should I be able to get out of a crock pot? (Like lets say a 5lb roast)

Beef brisket
tinned tomatoes
tomato puree 2 table spoons
Red kidney beans tin drained
3 chillies
2 cloves of garlic
tea spoon of cumin
yellow pepper
1 onion

bang all this in, when it’s cooked shred the beef up for a nice shredded beef chilli

Slow cookin…mmm…so many possibilities!

My favourite would probably be:

Chicken
Potatoes
Brocolli
onions or leeks
chicken stock or soup
asparagus soup
A lil bit of chilli powder & plenty of pepper to finish

Is a regular size one a 6 quart or 4?

This is a 6 quart for sure.

My go-to slow cooker recipe is:

-big chunk of meat
-few different types of vegetables
-herbs
-seasoning
-whatever else I have lying around

And it usually turns out pretty darn delectable.

What veggies turn out best in the crockpot?

Hearty stuff like potatoes, carrots, parsnips will hold up well. Onions will always cook down and become very sweet. More delicate veggies (bell peppers, olives, etc) sometimes need to be added near the end of a recipe.

This recipe sounds SO good! What is the flavor like? Is it on the sweeter side? How many meals does a 4-5lb lamb shoulder give you?

Sounds delicious! Do you make sandwiches with this dish?

1. As Punisher noted, size of the crockpot matters, but you can easily fit a 5-6 pound roast in a 6-quart slow cooker.

2. Less broth? But “watery” isn’t always a bad thing, it depends how you’re eating it. You can certainly remove the contents with a slotted spoon so the liquid remains behind. The liquid is just there to help the meat stay moist and tender.

3. It depends how big your appetite is, how much you’re training, etc. My wife and I will make a 3-4 pound roast, eat about half for dinner, and save about half for dinner the next night.

Does this turn into more of a curry to put over rice?

Yes, it’s on the sweet side, pairs well with lamb (which is a really fatty meat). You can also season with some turmeric and cinnamon.

I’d expect to get 4 total meals out of this - my wife and I will share it for dinner once, then have leftovers for dinner the next night.

As a general tip - only use fatty cuts of meat in the slow cooker. Chicken breasts or whatever get way too dry.

There’ve been a ton of threads about crockpots/slow cookers on the forum over the year. Hit the Search box and you should be able to find a ton of recipes to check out, even if the threads are 10+ years old, recipes are recipes. This is one of the threads from last year.

My go-to is still just a bunch of loin of pork, sauerkraut, and diced apples.

Mostly trial and error based on how much “stuff” (meat, veg, and liquid) you’re using and how long it’s cooking for. A “quick” slow cooker recipe for 4-6 hours would need a bit less liquid than something cooking overnight for 8-10 hours. You can always use a thickener like cornstarch-in-water before serving (a little goes a long way).

“More than one” is about as specific as you can get with that. Too many variables involved.