T Nation

Slow Cooker Crockpot Recipes

I did a seach, I found some people like them, but nothing really outlined good recipes.

Can we start a nice slow cooker/crockpot thread?

Add meat water spice and onion. Now Cook.

Pretty simple. Then from there you can get creative add various spices and veggies making chilis, stews, etc.

Have fun fear not the crockpot.

Could you cook your rice in a crockpot or would that be a bad idea? Like throw in some rice, stew meat, and veggies.

Probably a better idea to get a steamer for the rice and veggies, and cook the meat elsewhere. I don't know, never used a crackpot before.

Glad someone started this thread. I have one at home I bought a few months ago and have yet to use. It seems so damn easy too.

1.) Top of the round steak (lean). I use about 2 lbs.
2.) Diced potatoes (I use about 4 med. sized)
3.) 1 big can of diced tomatoes in tomato juice (do not drain)
4.) 1 - 16 oz can tomato paste

Cook on low 8-10 hours.

This makes at least 3 servings.

cooking rice in a slow cooker is BAD idea, it comes out like a lump of wet bread. As for my favorite recipe:

Dump a couple pounds of boneless skinless chicken or pork into a crockpot with a can of your favorite beer (excluding very dark beers like stouts and porters for obvious reasons), water, any preferred seasonings (I like garlic, worcestershire, and Goya Adobo, really use whatever you want to season to your liking), then cover and slow cook for about 5 hours on high, then drain the meat, fork shred it, and dump in a good amount of your favorite barbeque sauce (I use Sweet Baby Ray's, really good) and cook for another hour or so on high. Eat it plain on a bun or add some coleslaw on top for that Carolina style sandwich. Tastes incredible, idiot proof recipe.

If you want to cook "juk," a rice porridge which you can add any meat or vegetables you want. Being Asian, I grew up with it especially when I was sick. Look for recipes on the Net.

Yum "Juk"....childhood memories! I believe the american translation is rice "porridge". It may also be spelled "Jook" on the net....I've seen both spellings. It's like a chicken and rice soup, only better. You can use your thanksgiving turkey carcass/bones, throw that into a large crock pot or pot along with some pieces of fresh peeled ginger and the root portion (with around 1 inch of stems attached) of a bunch of cilantro, cover with water and boil on medium high for a couple of hours, then discard the bones....this will be your broth for the soup.

After straining, you will add some boullion cubes or salt to taste, and rinsed, uncooked white rice and simmer on low for hours- it should be a thick, soup-like consistency, like that of a creamed soup, when done. You can make Juk really high protein by dropping teaspoonfuls of pork hash (ground pork, chopped green onion, chopped water chestnut, an egg white, some soy sauce mixed all together) and fishcake (a gel-looking raw fresh fish paste that solidifies with cooking, sounds gross but is fresh, tender and delicious and lowfat) while it's at a rolling boil in the crock pot, at the end of cooking. Once spooned into serving bowls, Juk is often garnished with vegetables that are warmed by the soup- chopped chinese parsley ("cilantro"), sweet pickled radishes (chopped finely), salted radishes.

The fishcake and radishes can be found at any asian market. You can find Juk in chinese restaurants- ask for all the garnishes that go with it. You will frequently see the restaurant staff eating it on their meal breaks, it's a favorite/staple meal, much more than all of the rich dishes which are more for special occasions like weddings.

Yes, being asian, we grew up eating mostly soup...we're crazy for soups! Asian soups are economical, simple to make and tasty. You can make any of them in a crock pot. And to round out the meal, you may spoon into your bowl of soup some cooked white or brown rice. This was the typical daily meal for us, soup with rice, pretty much breakfast, lunch and dinner.

To start with the basic for any asian soup, fresh ginger, cilantro and boullion cubes will give you the best tasting broth. Start with a few bones, maybe the remaining leftovers of a chicken roast dinner, or some inexpensive soup bones in the supermarket (I've gotten a couple of pounds for $1.50!) Combining meats also makes for a good flavor, say chicken bones and a 1/4 pound piece of lean, raw pork. Or beef bones with a couple of whole raw chicken thighs. Place this into a crock pot along with a couple of fingers of peeled fresh ginger, sliced crosswise for more surface area exposure. Take the bunch of rinsed cilantro, and slice off the root so that around 1-2 inches of the stems remain, and add this to your pot. Cover with water. Cook in covered crock pot on high for hours.

Remove bones, return any leftover meat on the bones to the pot, slice the additional pork/beef/chicken meat and return to the pot. Add boullion cubes or salt to taste. At this point you have a meaty broth. Here is where versatility comes to play. You can add any vegetables or meat that you'd like. Be creative. And remember the pork hash and/or fishcake options mentioned above. Some combinations:

-Chopped mustard cabbage and fish cake
-Scramble four eggs, bring the soup to a rolling boil, while constantly stirring the soup, in a thin stream pour in the eggs, and gently stir until the eggs are cooked through--- "Egg flower soup". Some people like to add green peas after the egg flowers are cooked though.
-Cubed squash, finely chopped ham/mushrooms, barley
-White meat chicken, corn, sliced carrots, chopped green onions

And the soy sauce question. Usually the individual may add it, but only after being served (not the whole pot!), only as needed.