T Nation

SLK

[quote]Professor X wrote:
KombatAthlete wrote:
Clifford wrote:
you only get between 6-7 hours sleep a night. you should get 8-9. also most ppl wont eat much after 7 pm but since your awake until the crack of dawn i guess you got no choice. do you work nights or something?

I’ve made good progress on 6-7 hours and gotten by with 5-6 while at least maintaining my physique. Maybe it’s just a personal thing, but I know some huge people (in a good way) on this forum get much less than 8-9.

Shit, for several years in school I was getting less than 4. I still made progress.[/quote]

you can make progress on less sleep i don’t deny that. but their is a reason why every strength coach says you should get at least 8-9 hours of sleep per day. and if you can’t aford to catch naps as often as you can.

the really issue here is will you make better progress on 5-6 hours of sleep or 8-9 hours sleep. aside from that i think the OP should sub out some of those supplements for real food.

Welcome to the forum, my only question is WHY do you squat OUTSIDE the power rack/cage???

[quote]KombatAthlete wrote:
Clifford wrote:
you only get between 6-7 hours sleep a night. you should get 8-9. also most ppl wont eat much after 7 pm but since your awake until the crack of dawn i guess you got no choice. do you work nights or something?

I’ve made good progress on 6-7 hours and gotten by with 5-6 while at least maintaining my physique. Maybe it’s just a personal thing, but I know some huge people (in a good way) on this forum get much less than 8-9. [/quote]

I agree. I perform best at about 6 hours of sleep a night with a ten hour recharge once a week. It seems as if your back rounding at the top of the lift wasn’t so bad, it looked as if your lower back was straighter than your upper back and I think that is ok. I could be out of my gourd but that is par for the course. Glad you posted, man.

[quote]Revo09 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
KombatAthlete wrote:
Clifford wrote:

I’ve made good progress on 6-7 hours and gotten by with 5-6 while at least maintaining my physique. Maybe it’s just a personal thing, but I know some huge people (in a good way) on this forum get much less than 8-9.

Shit, for several years in school I was getting less than 4. I still made progress.

Im pretty sure I know the answer to my own question, but I’ll pitch it out anyway. What do you attribute your ability to gain on less than optimal sleep? Intensity in the gym and increased food intake? Thanks, Prof.
[/quote]

I think that food intake and paying attention to your immune system (as far as prevention of colds etc through the use of Vitamin C, echinacea…)can compensate for shortages in other areas.

Some people seem to skip that the body is a whole organism. If the goal is 100%, but you are only capable of efficiently providing 70%, if that 70% has complete focus and discipline, it can make up for the lacking 30%.

The problem is, most people don’t have anywhere near that kind of drive. If they are in school 8 hours a day and studying all night, they ignore food intake and gym consistency.

I took my meals with me daily and began reducing my gym time to one body part a day getting me out in about 30-35min. However, even while I may have only been spending 35min in the gym, my whole day was geared around making that 35min happen from food intake to time management. I never skipped planned workouts outside of feeling ill.

Obviously, if someone is half assing their approach to begin with, their lack of sleep will simply kill everything else. I doubt even half of the people using this forum understand discipline outside of watching their favorite tv show on time.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
Revo09 wrote:
Professor X wrote:
KombatAthlete wrote:
Clifford wrote:

Shit, for several years in school I was getting less than 4. I still made progress.

Im pretty sure I know the answer to my own question, but I’ll pitch it out anyway. What do you attribute your ability to gain on less than optimal sleep? Intensity in the gym and increased food intake? Thanks, Prof.

I think that food intake and paying attention to your immune system (as far as prevention of colds etc through the use of Vitamin C, echinacea…)can compensate for shortages in other areas.

Some people seem to skip that the body is a whole organism. If the goal is 100%, but you are only capable of efficiently providing 70%, if that 70% has complete focus and discipline, it can make up for the lacking 30%.

The problem is, most people don’t have anywhere near that kind of drive. If they are in school 8 hours a day and studying all night, they ignore food intake and gym consistency.

I took my meals with me daily and began reducing my gym time to one body part a day getting me out in about 30-35min. However, even while I may have only been spending 35min in the gym, my whole day was geared around making that 35min happen from food intake to time management. I never skipped planned workouts outside of feeling ill.

Obviously, if someone is half assing their approach to begin with, their lack of sleep will simply kill everything else. I doubt even half of the people using this forum understand discipline outside of watching their favorite tv show on time.[/quote]

This is a great lesson on efficiency, which is something we don’t discuss around here that often. Thanks for the “no excuses” reminder.

[quote]markos62 wrote:
I often post up articles from Berardi and others on our forum,he has all the info he needs,he just cant do it.

I have noticed he has started giving advice to skinny guys on here.I hope history doesnt repeat,he may run out of forums.[/quote]

I know how naive and ignorant I was before I met you, and since learning a bit on the theory side of this when I see guys doing all the wrong stuff and no diet etc I just feel so bad/guilty having this knowledge and not helping them.

I know what you’re saying…I must come across as the biggest hypocrite. If it can’t work for me (through no fault of the information), then I’d at least like too see it work for others…give them the same chance I have.

But anyway I will not try and help anyone anymore till I weigh 225.

I’ll occasionally update this every few weeks with a page from my training journal.

##############################
12/7/07
Weight: 59-60kg

DE Bench Press
bar x 3
40kg x 3
50kg x 3
------------ 75% of ~1RM
60kg x 3
60kg x 3
60kg x 3
60kg x 3
60kg x 3
60kg x 3
60kg x 3
60kg x 3

…and still going as strong as the first set. I have made some improvements to my form after reading the article “600lb bench press” by Dave Tate, and my benching feels so much stronger now from adjusting a few things :smiley:

DB Rows
30kg x 10
30kg x 10
30kg x 10

CG Bench Press (middle finger on inside edge of knurling)
60kg x 8
60kg x 8
60kg x 8

BB Rows
60kg x 12
70kg x 12
90kg x 2*
90kg x 2*
80kg x 10
60kg x 8 + 4 reverse grip (wide grip)

*This was kinda funny I accidentally chucked 15kg plates on instead of 10kg’s…took me a while to work out why I was failing …I’m looking at my hands going “what the f**k is wrong with my grip” shaking my head in disgust lol

DB Tricep Extensions (standing, single arm)
10kg x 8
10kg x 8
10kg x 8
…my left arm is really feeling much stronger then it was a few weeks ago when I was barely able to do 7.5kg x 8

DB Bicep Curls
17.5kg x 8
17.5kg x 10

Ezy Bar Bicep Curls
32.5kg x 20
37.5kg x 12
42.5kg x 6, supersetted with 17.5kg x 8 DB Hammer Curls
#################################

I really feel ashamed to talk about my bench press without a balaclava over my face lol…

Below is me doing a very ‘casual’ 41" box jump (during break at work).

Tomorrow is ME Squat day, I’m looking forward to it. I haven’t decided whether I should stick to my planned lifts or try out the squat suit markos sent me…

Holy shit! Impressive jump:O

What type of bench are you doing and what grip do you use? Where exactly is it you get stuck?

Firebug on here told me to have someone else load the bar and not watch them do it. That way you have no idea what you’re lifting. You should see what she lifts! Sometimes what holds us back is more in our head than what we’re physically capable of doing.

Still impressed with that jump. Wish you’d update your log more often! It’s a great one.

Susan

The grip for my DE/ME benching is about an inch in from the outside edge of the knurling.

For close grip benching I have my middle finger on the inside edge of the knurling.

I think I must switch back to a 5x5 or 8x8 for the next 6 weeks. I’ve been speaking to someone knowledgeable and the WSSB template is too advanced for me. I need to bring my base strength up some more first.

Why don’t you check out the West Side/PLing thread in Strength Sports. Consider posting there and you’ll get TONS of feedback from the guys over there. I don’t post there obviously but read it all the time and IMO it’s the best one on the site.

http://beta.T-Nation.com/tmagnum/readTopic.do?id=986305&pageNo=0

Btw, it’s really long.

Good luck no matter what you decide to do.

Susan

Thanks, I posted in there…hope my post wasn’t tooooooo long lol hides

=)

I just saw that. lol It was a little long but I’m glad you did it. I know that you can do this.

The guys over there will help you reach your goals, give you suggestions, tell you what to add, what to drop, etc. With your drive and ethic, I doubt there’s not much you can’t achieve.

I wish you the best of luck over there. If you ever need anything, you can give me a PM if you like. I might not be able to help you but I promise I’ll find someone who can.

Deal?:wink: Good stuff.

Susan

17/7/07
Weight: Exactly 60kg with shirt & genes

Squats
60kg x 5
80kg x 5
100kg x 5
100kg x 5
110kg x 2

120kg x 3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SwunRmlLUaU

130kg x 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV50gr0PBoo

135kg x 0 - FAIL
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eZwlEeuuGsw

130kg x 1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdkyElPoZNE

100kg x 3

Didn’t even plan on going to gym today. I was having a rather depressing day at work so I thought I’d cheer myself up by just going to the gym to practice the low bar on back with 60kg or so…

after a few sets I decided to try it with 100kg…it felt really strong so I went for 110kg, 2 reps was easy so I thought I’d just skip the bs and go straight for the 120kg to see how strong I was really. Managing 3 comfortable reps at 120kg I decided to go for 130kg lol.

TBH I don’t think it was deep enough, but still f**king happy with that effort. I then tried a 135kg…but bombed lol. Then I did another 130kg to make sure it wasn’t a fluke, and depth was a little better but still want to go lower next time as the strength comes :).

[i]Stoked![/i]

T-Nation personals. TC we need a T-Nation personals!

Ps I’m just kidding.

recently started adding 2 scoops of carb to my 2 scoops of protien maybe adding raw eggs fruit or tuna to the shakes iv always had trouble bulking but this seems to be paying off

Here’s a pic I took today of my legs and a video of my monster sissy muppet arms (a whopping 12.5" - how embarrassing o_O)

1.55x bw 21 reps ATG