Slippery Banana's 5x5 Log

I’ve been torn for the last couple of years as of what I want to do. I have struggled with the bodybuilding splits and powerlifting. Well after much soul searching and figuring out my goals, I figured that I’d get strong as fuck, and if it helps me look better, well that would be just an added bonus.

On to the training.
I’m gonna be doing the Madcow 5x5 template. I’ve did it before for about a week or two, but gave it up and went back to a 4 day bodybuilding split. No more bullshitting around.
The weights I entered in the template:
Squat 275 for 3
Bench 225 for 5
Row 200 for 5 (I’m gonna do the seated row because I have always gotten more activation than with bent over rows.
Deads 365 for 5
Smith Decline 230 for 5

I’m gonna test these out one more time today, and start on Monday.

Oh yeah, I almost forgot some personal stats.

Weight between 200-205
height 5’9"
diet is better than the last time I posted about my training. The difference, I actually have one.

0800 1 packet of oatmeal and a 50 gram protein shake with a banana or peanut butter

1100 25 gram protein shake with banana or peanut butter

1300 some food that I have prepared for myself i.e. healthy chili or something similar, I make enough to last the entire week for lunch

1600 25 gram protein shake and oatmeal packet

1900 baked chicken with green vegetable

2200 possible protein shake with peanut butter

Wow! looking at my diet, I think it sucks donkey dick!! Any suggestions to tweak it? My goal, diet wise, is to stay around the same size if not getting a little larger in the process. I also am doing cardio on off days to help with bodyfat accumulation.

Alright, so I tested the maxes again, and everything is good to go!!

Just a few things I have to remember, motivation is key. Also, this is not a a bodybuilding routine.

I have to remember these things to be successful!!!

TIME TO GET FUCKIN STRONG!!!

Tomorrow I will be in Week number two. It is easy now, the little bit I fooled around with the first week, but know that the pain is to come.

Some very short term goals

deadlift 400pounds
squat 350pounds
bench press 250pounds

I think these goals are very attainable in a very short amount of time.

[quote]slippery_banana wrote:
Oh yeah, I almost forgot some personal stats.

Weight between 200-205
height 5’9"
diet is better than the last time I posted about my training. The difference, I actually have one.

0800 1 packet of oatmeal and a 50 gram protein shake with a banana or peanut butter

1100 25 gram protein shake with banana or peanut butter

1300 some food that I have prepared for myself i.e. healthy chili or something similar, I make enough to last the entire week for lunch

1600 25 gram protein shake and oatmeal packet

1900 baked chicken with green vegetable

2200 possible protein shake with peanut butter

[/quote]

You just need more whole foods man, and sorry to say, cook more! lol

Stick to this:

Protein - eggs, salmon, beef/steak, chicken, lean deli cuts (turkey, ham, etc), cottage cheese, protien powder
Fats - You need more fats than just peanut butter. Olive oil, fish oil, avocados, various nuts (pistachios, cashews, pecans, walnuts, macadamias, hazel nuts, brazil nuts)
Carbs - sweet potatoes/yams, brown rice, ezekiel/kamut bread, raw oats

It wouldn’t to include more green veggies and fruit sparingly (blue/black/raspberries, apples, pears, etc)

I’ll keep an eye on this

Today’s Workout which was supposed to be yesterday but I had a little bug in my system.
Week 2 day 1
Squats
135x5
165x5
200x5
230x5
260x5

Bench
135x5
135x5
160x5
185x5
215x5

Seated Row
100x5
125x5
150x5
175x5
200x5

My intensity was good, but my gym must be going broke. They took the sound system out. That freakin sucks considering they actually played hardcore music. Off to grab some food.

Thanks PBAndy for the advice. I know that I need to cook more, I just needed someone to tell me. LOL

I am wondering if it would be smart to do an assistance day, instead of doing assistance when I am completely wiped. The same assistance exercises will be used, plus maybe one or two. Maybe calf raises?? What do ya’ll think of a day just for assistance. Thanks

Slipp

Honestly, I would do exactly what madcow said

“Substituting Exercises:
Don’t fuck with this. Every bodybuilder seems to have Attention Deficit Disorder and an overwhelming desire to customize everything. The bottom line is that these are all the most effective exercises and just about anything one does will result in less gains. As a rule those people who want to change it don’t know enough to make proper alterations - those who do know enough, don’t have much to change. The guy who is responsible for this program is of the best on the planet at bulking lifters and making people stronger. It’s kind of like Sesame Street’s Elmo offering neurosurgery advice at NYU. Anyway, it’s absolutely essential not to screw with the squats, they are the foundation of this program. If you want to sub inclines or push presses for military that’s okay. Do not sub machines - don’t even think about it, hit yourself with a plate if you must. For arms choose a single biceps and triceps exercise and perform them at the end once per week for 3 sets of whatever - your arms will take a beating from all the pulling and pressing anyway. If you want to chin on Wednesday or do a few sets of pulldowns/ups that’s fine (avoid the machines if you can use bodyweight). Core work is always fine. Cardio is fine - interval training is the best for this I’ll just throw out. If this is just too much mental strain, take solace in the fact that it’s just a few weeks, you’ll gain a ton of muscle and strength and then you can spend the next 4 weeks adding the minute detail to refine the gained mass (like most care anyway - I have yet to meet a guy on this board who will trade 20lbs of muscle for a bit of added detail somewhere). In a nutshell, put your trust in some of the better coaches on the planet and enjoy the results.”

Link to the original page
http://www.wackyhq.com/madcow5x5/geocities/5x5_Program/Linear_5x5.htm

I would just do the program as much its written as possible, I think the few tweaks you already have should prob be ok that you brought up, but Starr wrote the program as is for a reason, which is far beyond my knowledge

Yeah i’ve read that and I think that your right. That is what I’m gonna do. Just focus on the program.

Thanks IRV for keeping me straight.

Yeah I’ve read that, and he is right. We are all ADHD and want to customize everything to the nilth degree.

Haha I know what you mean thats why I was reminding you, so many times I have tried or thought to change stuff around in a program, and it took a while for me to realize that I don’t have the experience yet to change a program that will work better for me, nevermind one that has been proven for over 30 years.

HaHa You are exactly right. That is the one drawback to Madcow’s 5x5. It is a boring program, and even he said that.

I think the gains I will make will be worth it though.

Week 2 Day 2

Well today was okay. Just a nice workout. I guess it would kind of be an active recovery of sorts.

Squats x5
All sets felt really good. I got some new knees wraps for better support, and they work great. I just got to learn how to tie them off properly.

Decline Smith Machine x5
It felt light, and good. I went really slow on these and got a good squeeze out of it.

Deadlifts were Rack Pulls today per Doctor’s orders. x5
I changed my max a little lower because of my knees. The doctor said I have to make a few changes in my routines or surgery. I do not want to have surgery right now. I just can not go below parallel on squats because of the pressure, and same on deadlifts. Call me a pussy or whatever, but I got to do what I got to do. No surgery for now.

I am looking forward to Saturday to go up to the next level. That is one step closer to week four and then all sorts of PR’s will be broken.

FUCK YEAH

Slipp

I got a call today from one of my good friends and he asked if I wanted to do a bodybuilding comp in July. He was Mr. Alabama in 2007 in the grandmasters class. He is a wealth of knowledge, believe me. I am considering it for sure.

Cool man keep us updated!

So here is the update of the competition. I am doing it, but will be gone by July to go to Fort Eustis for OBC. We are looking for one in the March to May time frame.

He evaluated my physique pretty harshly, and told me what I needed to do. First thing he said was go back to a traditional split, to bring up lagging bodyparts. No problem.

The 5x5 log has now became the “I’m gonna do well no matter what in my competition log.”

good work, just stay with it bro

Well good luck to you bro, make sure to post the new workout

ok I havent posted here in a while. here’s why:

I had knee surgery. I’m in rehab and almost finished with it. It was just to stop the bones scraping each other. I just couldnt take the pain anymore.

Anyways, I’m back in the gym now just doing mild stuff to get back in the grove.