Slingshot Record Breakers

Some people would argue that federation records are more relevant than all time world records for those reasons.

I agree.

USPA rules
The lifter has one attempt to complete the lift. Any rising of the bar to the point where ALL the plates come off the floor on either or both sides will be considered a bona fide attempt.

Emphasis my own, obviously.

EDIT: And yes this was under SPF not USPA, but they clearly don’t apply SPF rules in practice or pumping the bar pre-pull would count. My point is that precedent exists in powerlifting for this interpretation.

1 Like

Wut if ur super aggressive with ur pre lift pump and the whole bar and plates comes off the ground lol.

I’ve seen red lights for that before.

Which is why it’s a stupid thing to do.

1 Like

I mean its all a bit silly and point is really that the rules are poorly defined.

Take SPF for example, they have a two statement rule, the first half as strict as possible, the second half as subjective as possible.

“8. Any raising of the bar or any deliberate attempt to do so will count as an attempt.”

Any raising of that bar, if enforced, would DQ you for a pump. They clearly dont enforce this.

“Any deliberate attempt” is completely undefined. Why I like the USPA version that, while not perfect, is at least not ambiguous. Once the plates leave the floor, continuous motion from there.

I’ve never understood the pumping the bar thing, just a waste of energy surely. I feel like most people just do it because lillibridge does, though Im sure someone will be able to give me a solid sounding justificaiton.

I know Leeman was big on doing it too. It looks like fear when I see it. Same with the dudes that headbutt the bar for squats.

Which, funny enough, many rulebooks say you can’t headbutt he bar for squats and bench, but make no mention of it for deadlifts, so that’s probably the solution to the issue.

2 Likes

Stop attacking me. I’ve been known to headbutt a bar or two-- only bled once.

I don’t do it often or very hard these days, but if I do it’s probably a fear response.

1 Like

Fair enough, the lift is good. SPF is more lenient than any other fed, so if it passes somewhere it definitely passes in SPF.

As far as the lockout goes, my impression is more shaky legs than unlocked knees, unless it looks different from the side I would give white lights.

I do it, it feels like I can get tighter and adjust my setup. If I just get in position and pull then if I’m off slightly the lift is fucked, with the pumping I see exactly where I am and adjust accordingly. Also Andy Bolton and others have said that it creates a stretch reflex in the hamstrings so there is some potential benefit. A lot of lifters do it, not just retarded Lilliebridge fans.

Pulling the slack out of the bar is an intelligent thing to do when deadlifting. I think yanking on it (giggity) is just a tradition some lifters have before set up.

As far as squat depth, it seems ppl really want a world record set at their meet/ event. I have been curious if ppl tell the judges to be lax on depth just for Publicity. So you can say “WR lifts at X meet over the weekend!” Etc.

Also we have video replay, just like in the NFL. Just because a call was made on the field doesn’t mean it was correct. And we can all see some
Of these squats that get 2-3 whites and tell they aren’t the correct call.

Powerlifting meets already take all day to do 9 reps. Just imagine how much time we can add with replay and review.

Especially sucks if you just got your knees wrapped only to find out you now need to wait 4 minutes for a review for the guy before you. Hopefully your feet don’t fall asleep.

2 Likes

Yeah, some lifters only compete where judging is loose (or non-existent) and if you start giving them red lights they won’t be back next year. The US Open was the opposite extreme last year, on the 2nd day almost all the squats got at least one red and many good lifts were turned down, as a result this year a lot of the same people didn’t go. I guess Andrew Herbert figured he could add 30+lbs to his squat if he could cut it a foot higher.

1 Like

When they had IPF Worlds in Belarus a couple years ago in the live stream they showed side angles of all the squats and some calls were overturned by the jury, I don’t believe the jury looked at the videos but the meet still moved fast as IPF meets do. Each session couldn’t have been more than 4 hours, maybe under 3.

1 Like

I don’t believe they did either.

Well I wasn’t suggesting do it during the meet mainly just for WR attempts but you could have judges reviewing to the side.

Ok so basically this. I wasn’t aware they’d done this. I like it though.

1 Like

Haha exactly. I have been at meets where the bench was almost timed. So essentially it was touch and go. One fairly well known local powerlifter brought it up to the judges but nothing was done.

1 Like

That would suck if you picked attempts off of trying to beat some dudes total from their passed WR in the squat only to find out it got turned over after the meet.

Suppose we could do like the olympics and take away medals after the meet.

1 Like

I generally think that a jury is a good idea, but that’s a good point. A few years ago at an international IPF meet (I think it was jr worlds) Sean Noriega deadlifted his third, got 2 white lights and won the meet. The guy is second went to the jury, and they decided to discount Sean’s third pull, giving this guy gold and Sean silver.