Slingshot, How and When to Use It?

I’m pretty curious about using a slingshot on my bench days to get some extra work in, how and when would I go about using it, if at all?
I run the 5/3/1 program so I was thinking that I would do
Bench 3x5/5/5+ THEN do a fourth set with the slingshot for more reps.
Would this be a viable and beneficial way to boost my bench?

If you did that you would probably benefit just from the addition of volume. Are you benching only once a week on 5/3/1?

Search for the blog “Swole at every height” . He has some good advice. The TL DR is the slingshot should be used for more volume at a high intensity (think of benching close to your max in a slingshot for a few sets of 3-5) vs tons of heavy singles and doubles at weights way above your 1RM.

I have the blue reactive slingshot and use it basically as you said, from time to time I will use it more often if I’m having some shoulder pain. Like anything else its just a tool and using it properly you will see a benefit.

I use it to overload my bench. Just having the extra weight in your hands helps the body learn how to handle heavier weight. It is a useful tool.

thanks a bunch guys, now all I need to do is find somewhere in australia that isn’t out of stock…

I hope I’m not derailing, but does it throw your groove off much if any for raw benching?

Fletch, I don’t think it throws your groove off at all. If anything, it helps you keep correct form…elbows in a the bottom for example. I have the original red Slingshot and the Maddog. I have started wearing them on every set since I tore up my rotator cuff.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
I hope I’m not derailing, but does it throw your groove off much if any for raw benching?[/quote]

I like it better than reverse band work. It feels more natural to me and actual think it reinforces the right groove.

In the meantime, if you haven’t already maybe try benching against bands? I’ve started doing that and I love how it overloads the top. I know that isn’t the same as the what the slingshot does at all, but I’ve found it helped me heaps handling near max weights at my sticking point past around midway through because the banded bench feels exactly like that at the top, except without the loading coming off the chest.

The bands are heaps easy to get here in Australia, and aren’t too pricey even for the heavy-ish ones (I got mine off Gym and Fitness because they’ve actually got the loading ranges for each band). I got a pair that feel like they add 20-30 kg to the top of the lift and that isn’t even fully stretched.

BTW you can get the Full Boar and Mad Dog in large from Underground Elite now, I just checked and they’re in stock. All the others are all out, except in medium

[quote]MarkKO wrote:
BTW you can get the Full Boar and Mad Dog in large from Underground Elite now, I just checked and they’re in stock. All the others are all out, except in medium[/quote]

awesome, thanks for the heads up on that man!

[quote]MarkKO wrote:
In the meantime, if you haven’t already maybe try benching against bands? I’ve started doing that and I love how it overloads the top. I know that isn’t the same as the what the slingshot does at all, but I’ve found it helped me heaps handling near max weights at my sticking point past around midway through because the banded bench feels exactly like that at the top, except without the loading coming off the chest.

The bands are heaps easy to get here in Australia, and aren’t too pricey even for the heavy-ish ones (I got mine off Gym and Fitness because they’ve actually got the loading ranges for each band). I got a pair that feel like they add 20-30 kg to the top of the lift and that isn’t even fully stretched.[/quote]

Benching against bands will shred my joints up unless I only use it only sparingly.

Benching with bands is okay… but it really doesn’t have good carry over for me because it gets me out of my groove and also because benching with bands will auto-correct me if I mess up my form. Kind of the opposite of benching against bands where a break in form is punished… severely.

I like chains. But those can become difficult to lug around if I’ve gotta hike to my gym because I can’t find good parking. I’m talking about having to park half a mile to a mile away. It’s a university gym.

I like the sound of the slingshot to give my shoulders a break and work in some more volume at heavier weights.