T Nation

Slingshot For Raw Lifters?

I've read some mixed reviews regards the slingshot for raw lifters ie some say " its great for letting you get used to heavier loads " whilst others say " the slingshot is useless for raw lifters as a raw lifter struggles off the chest "

What are the opinions is a slingshot a practical tool for a raw lifter or not ?

I have used for about a year and love it. if your weak point is off the chest it might not be the best tool, but it will reinforce good form l which will help you. Personally off the chest stopped being a weak point for me when I brought my grip in due to shoulder issues and only trained with a pause. Adding the slingshot gets you acclimated to bigger weight and also you can add a ton of volume with mediums weight. I love it. I’ve gone from 275 to 345 with its help, which at 39 working 12 hour days, and a slap tear is good to me. 400 before 40 is the goal …

I’ve used both the reactive slingshot and the metal catapult. I honestly didn’t like either one for benching. Just never felt like the right groove for me. However, I love using the reactive slingshot for dumbbell pressing, and my wife uses the catapult to help with push ups.

I think they’re a worthwhile tool to throw into the gymbag for the sake of variety. One of those things I’d pack when traveling in case I’m going somewhere with limited equipment.

It’s a good tool, just don’t overuse it. Make sure you train the bottom end too(long pauses, pin press, spoto press, etc.). I actually find that benching against bands gives a better training effect because it forces you to keep accelerating the bar, whereas the slingshot accelerates the bar for you. The downside of bands is that they are hard on your joints, so you don’t want to use them too often. Both are good for raw lifters, but they should not be the staples of your program.

I use mine nearly every week after work sets, it allows me to train harder and keep my shoulders healthier so in the long run my bench benefits more from using it not being injured.

[quote]tredaway wrote:
I’ve read some mixed reviews regards the slingshot for raw lifters ie some say " its great for letting you get used to heavier loads " whilst others say " the slingshot is useless for raw lifters as a raw lifter struggles off the chest "

What are the opinions is a slingshot a practical tool for a raw lifter or not ?[/quote]

I like mine. Particularly if doing reps w/ heavier weight.

Thanks for the input it was the reactive one I was thinking of, at this moment in time all my benches are spoto presses technically speaking … I’ve read that it helps to give the shoulders a rest does anyone know if it helps with bad elbows as I suffer with tennis elbow in my left elbow ?

[quote]tredaway wrote:
Thanks for the input it was the reactive one I was thinking of, at this moment in time all my benches are spoto presses technically speaking … I’ve read that it helps to give the shoulders a rest does anyone know if it helps with bad elbows as I suffer with tennis elbow in my left elbow ?[/quote]

It won’t help tendinitis in your elbow. I’ve had that. I just worked around and/or thru it. Eventually, mine went away. You can do finger extensions to help pump some blood to it at anytime during the day.

[quote]osu122975 wrote:

[quote]tredaway wrote:
Thanks for the input it was the reactive one I was thinking of, at this moment in time all my benches are spoto presses technically speaking … I’ve read that it helps to give the shoulders a rest does anyone know if it helps with bad elbows as I suffer with tennis elbow in my left elbow ?[/quote]

It won’t help tendinitis in your elbow. I’ve had that. I just worked around and/or thru it. Eventually, mine went away. You can do finger extensions to help pump some blood to it at anytime during the day.
[/quote]

Thanks for the tip…Is that where I close my hand into a fist and then extend the fingers and thumb of the hand quickly numerous times ?

osu thanks for that much appreciated i’ll start incorporating them straight away :slight_smile:

[quote]tredaway wrote:
osu thanks for that much appreciated i’ll start incorporating them straight away :-)[/quote]

One thing I forgot to tell you, I got it from lifting too heavy too often. Back down the intensity and volume if this applies to you.

Thanks for the advice it’s much appreciated, I’ve just taken roughly 7 whole months off as I couldn’t even push a door open the pain was that bad in my elbow. I’m not pushing things to hard and only lift 3 times a week so I’m hoping as long as I don’t go mad things should be ok and this time round if my body is hurting i’ll give myself a deload.