Slingshot Bench Results

You’re right about that, but that doesn’t seem to be the problem here.

My advice for the OP: start benching twice a week and add some other bench variations such as close grip bench, dumbbell bench, bench w/ long pause - you don’t need to do a ton of sets since you’re not used to the volume, maybe two work sets on each exercise.

I get what you are saying, but if his training max is such that he is able to get 5 reps on the 1+ week at the start of the cycle then he wouldn’t be in that situation.

How are you supposed to reset your training max anyway? It’s been a long time since I did 5/3/1. If he took 85 or 90% of his estimated 1rm based on a rep max then that should work, just add some joker sets to get a bit of higher intensity work.

I’ve done a bunch of cycles. I’ve been switching between 531 and a candito 6 week program for about 2 years.

Oh and I should mention that it really seems to be a heavy weight problem. I can rep 225x14. I tried out the slingshot yesterday. I don’t know if it will make me stronger, but, it’s certainly fun.

Hate to break it to you, but you need to learn to strain against load. Fucking around with sets of 14 is just that, fucking around. Not saying to do singles all the time but you need heavy doubles and triples occasionally with the last rep being pretty damn tough.

Plus, you switched between two programs for 2 years with no progress? Can’t speak for candito, but 5/3/1 is more of an approach than a program. The basic theme is 2 heavy warmups and an AMRAP. Also, you do realize that Jim designed this program with ahletes in mind and not powerlifters, right?

Finally, your 6’-1" and as you say, skinny. Skinny doesn’t bench big.

1 Like

Well, skinny by powerlifting standards- about 205 lbs give or take.

Lean 6’-1" lifters are 242 - 308 depending on a number of factors. If you’re lifting for fitness, cool. If you have powerlifting aspirations, gain some muscle weight.

Alright. My goal was elite totals for the big 3 @ 198 lbs. I always approach fitness by setting some gold standard and work to achieve it. For instance, I used to be a runner and I wanted a 6 minute mile and a sub 20 minute 5k.

Elite 198’s are 5’3" - 5’-8" with some exceptions. Your past history as a runner explains a lot. You probably spent years training for endurance. Your type 2 fibers haven’t been worked much.

Get yourself on a bodybuilding program and EAT BIG. Your fitness level will probably enable you to tolerate high volume bodybuilding training. Once you gain 40lbs, start transitioning to powerlifting.

How much do you squat and deadlift? A total is a total, if you suck at one lift you can still make up for it with the other two.

Yes i presumed if at 3 reps were quite a few cycles in. Ok cool, well give one of those 5/3/1 variations above a run, loads of positive feedback from them

The deload weeks have changed. Instead of setd at 50%, you work up to the training max. If you hit a particular number of non-grinding reps then you’re right to go otherwise you lower your training max.

Partly true except if a lifter sucks at squatting. He/she would need one hell of a bench and deadlift to make up the lost ground and the structure for the bench disadvantages the deadlift and vice versa so the chances of both the bench and deadlift being exceptional are rare.

My PERSONAL platform experience and observations handling and coaching over the years has been that most often the lifter who manages 3/3 with a big squat will win, all other things being comparable. The lifters who can pull a big deadlift out of a hat and come from behind are rare. And don’t cite, KK, Rubish, Woolam et al. These guys don’t suck at anything that’s why they’re at the top. I’m talking about the majority of lifters below the elite level.

Is that only the “Beyond 5/3/1” program or all the new variations? I prefer heavy deloads myself, but ho heavy depends on how heavy everything else has been.

When I say “suck at one lift” I don’t mean a 315 squat or 405 deadlift at 198, I just mean not particularly good compared to the others.

I guess it would depend on the degree of suckage.

It’s just another tool so it applies to wherever you need to manage a TM.

If you know your body well enough to know when to drop your TM then that is cool. The issue is most people think they know but they don’t. They run themselves into the ground and then blame the program. That’s why these “don’t have to think about it” ways of measuring it exist.

So I’m using the exrx standards for elite lifting. My ultimate goals are 505 squat (currently low 400s and rising fast), 570 deadlift ( 470 went up easy with no grind) and a bench of 360 (currently 310 and I about died).

I assumed you were basing your definition of elite on a qualification chart from a federation that has those designations. Those standards on exrx are more like elite among non-powerlifters, a 1435 total at 198 is good but nothing incredible - but you aren’t far off either. Just to put it in perspective, the Canadian Powerlifting Union qualifying total for nationals in the 93kg men’s open class is 605kg/about 1330lbs. So with 1435 you could say that you are an “advanced” lifter, but compared to the guys at the top you are still mediocre. Don’t take this as me shitting on your goals, I’m just being realistic, I came 12.5kg short of the qualifying total at my last meet.

The way I look at it, I just aim for continued progress and not specific numbers as an ultimate goal. If you stay healthy and keep training you can make progress for a long time. There are guys in their 50’s setting open records.

No I see what you mean. I see myself as althletic guy that wants to have a nice big 3. I participate in far too many activities to specialize beyond that point.