Sling Shot Praise

[quote]BDJBoston wrote:
How does using this actually make you stronger? It seems like it would be like having a spotter help you with the last few reps? Not trying to argue at all, just get more smarter. [/quote]

What if you train alone? What if your spotter is watching some cardio bunny’s ass and not you? What if your spotter ‘helps’ 5# one set and 50# the next? no consistency. The slingshot provides the same help every rep, every set.

[/quote]

What if you train alone? What if your spotter is watching some cardio bunny’s ass and not you? What if your spotter ‘helps’ 5# one set and 50# the next? no consistency. The slingshot provides the same help every rep, every set.
[/quote]

Ohh got it. I train alone all the time and this really appeals to me. I was really talking about what is the training or physiological reason that causes this to help you get stronger? If I bench 275x5 with out it but 300x5 with it isn’t my body getting the same training effect as far as any sort of adaptation would go?

[quote]BDJBoston wrote:
How does using this actually make you stronger? It seems like it would be like having a spotter help you with the last few reps? Not trying to argue at all, just get more smarter. [/quote]

One way that it would be better than your spotter is that it will have the same amount of help each and every time. Rather than your spotter saying they gave you some arbitrary number of pounds they helped with and no way to gauge properly if you made progress.

Use of this works like bands and chains do, it gives accommodating resistance. People have better leverages closer to lockouts on lifts, or ie are stronger in the top portion of the ROM of a lift. This allows them to overload the top of the ROM, but in a fashion where there is a full ROM. It can also teach you to get real fast if used right. Learn how to fire that weight up before it gets too heavy.

Edit: In a fashion, it kind of works like a push press is to a military press.

[quote]BDJBoston wrote:
Ohh got it. I train alone all the time and this really appeals to me. I was really talking about what is the training or physiological reason that causes this to help you get stronger? If I bench 275x5 with out it but 300x5 with it isn’t my body getting the same training effect as far as any sort of adaptation would go?[/quote]

Not really, you have just unracked 300 pounds which is 25# more than you otherwise would have. You are handling 25# more than you would have also. Remember the first time you unracked “X” weight? It was prolly kinda scary. Then as you played with it it got easy because you’d been down that road before.

Once you can rep sya 315 5-6 times with a slingshot, you’ll be able to get it off the chest easy. Ever ran hills with a weighted vest or with your kid hanging off your back? Then you ran up alone… feels easy right? same thing for the most part.

Is a slingshot a magical device that will take you bench to the stratosphere? no, not really but they do work by allowing one to handle heavier weights. You can do the same thing with bands, if you have a power rack and can hook the bands to the top of the rack. You can also do the same benching with chains, but those don’t travel well generally.

Wear your slingshot during barbell rows for some extra rear delt/trap stimulation.

It’s brutal.

Greg Doucette swears by using the slingshot. He presses 545ish raw @ 198

[quote]Reed wrote:
If you have never tried it you will love it especially if you don’t have the most awesome shoulders for pressing or are weak around mid to lockout. [/quote]

Weak there.

Any raw lifters out there care to relate their own experiences with the product? Considering buying this and playing with ways to incorporate it in programming.

Reed you said you can lift with the same form raw and with the reactive slingshot. Would you recommend the reactive slingshot for someone who lifts raw (especially a smaller lifter who isn’t benching 350+lbs)?

[quote]Sutebun wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:
If you have never tried it you will love it especially if you don’t have the most awesome shoulders for pressing or are weak around mid to lockout. [/quote]

Weak there.

Any raw lifters out there care to relate their own experiences with the product? Considering buying this and playing with ways to incorporate it in programming.

Reed you said you can lift with the same form raw and with the reactive slingshot. Would you recommend the reactive slingshot for someone who lifts raw (especially a smaller lifter who isn’t benching 350+lbs)?[/quote]

With out a doubt man. They have a bunch of different sizes so you cam get one to fit properly. Also I have seen plenty of sub 300 pressers using them. Honestly it is a great tool for overload and could be exactly what you have been missing. And for the price you really can’t beat it.

what i like to do is…

finish all my heavy rep work, and take my max out of the rack using my ram, and do it for a triple pausing all the reps.

[quote]Sutebun wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

Weak there.

Reed you said you can lift with the same form raw and with the reactive slingshot. Would you recommend the reactive slingshot for someone who lifts raw (especially a smaller lifter who isn’t benching 350+lbs)?[/quote]

I would absolutely recommend it - the blue Reactive Slingshot - to you. It’s quite a bit easier than the red one to put on.

I love mine, which has helped me to hammer my lockout and bring my bench back from just under 400, to 425. The full range of motion is nice, which still lets me use my full speed and technique while trying to overload my bench at the top end. The motion doesn’t tear up my elbows like board presses.