Sling Shot Praise

I don’t know how many of you have used the sling shot but, I just want to give it some praise and tell you everyone needs to have one no doubt.

I have always hated the Bench Press due to the fact that I have problems with my right shoulder and anytime I used any kind of decent volume I get some serious inflammation and my entire arm just gets set on fire. This Bench session I started complaining about it pretty bad to Sam after my max effort set and he brought out The Blue Reactive Sling Shot for me to try. I was able to perform a extra 60 reps of volume and never felt even the slightest pain in my shoulders.

Even the pain that was beginning to come on actually started going away. I know a lot of unequipped guys say it is shit but, for some serious overload of the mid to lockout range ( which is where I fail any ways ) it is awesome. Almost like doing a Rack or Floor Press but, you still get to practice complete range of motion.

Just wanted to share my experience with it. If you have never tried it you will love it especially if you don’t have the most awesome shoulders for pressing or are weak around mid to lockout. If you have used it you probably know all of this.

Just reminded me about my red slingshot that I haven’t used in forever. Think I’ll bust it out tomorrow for a few heavy singles. I really wish I would’ve known about the reactive one though…it doesn’t help as much as the red one right? It was a gift though so whatever.

I think its a great tool to use for a raw lifter. Helps you overload while still keeping full ROM and you have to really concentrate on staying tight.

[quote]MightyMouse17 wrote:
Just reminded me about my red slingshot that I haven’t used in forever. Think I’ll bust it out tomorrow for a few heavy singles. I really wish I would’ve known about the reactive one though…it doesn’t help as much as the red one right? It was a gift though so whatever.

I think its a great tool to use for a raw lifter. Helps you overload while still keeping full ROM and you have to really concentrate on staying tight. [/quote]

Yeah the Reactive is not as helpful but still very very useful. It adds about 10-15% tops to your max depending on your form. 275 is usually a 5 rep maxish for me but, with the Reactive I got a relatively easy 8. Biggest thing with the Reactive is that it allows me to keep my unequipped form perfectly even off my chest where the Original actually felt like I was wearing loose single ply shirt and forced my elbows into a more Close Grip Bench Position. The Reactive caused absolutely zero form change while taking massive pressure off my shoulders.

Ive been on the fence about getting one for a few months now, I think I’ll just bite the bullet and buy the original. I have the same problem as you Reed with volume on bench causing a lot of inflammation and its really deterred me from benching lately.

I have the metal catapult, but it operates on a similar premise. I haven’t used it for any heavy work, but I’ve had my shoulders and elbow bug me on some days, and it’s great for high rep work while keeping pressure off of nagging joints and tendons.

This won’t be for any of you above posters…but for any coaches out there it’s an excellent tool for getting larger guys comfortable and confidence doing dips also

good post reed, i like what ive seen of your training a lot.

ive been thinking about investing in one of these for a while too, i also have pretty banged up shoulders (distal osteolysis in the left after a major acj rupture when i was 17 and recurrent acj trouble in my right).

has anyone used both the slingshot and the metal catapult? im leaning towards the catapult as i can get it easier over here in europe, and it isnt quite as garish, but ive read some really poor reviews of metal wraps so im dubious.

[quote]sprogg wrote:
good post reed, i like what ive seen of your training a lot.

ive been thinking about investing in one of these for a while too, i also have pretty banged up shoulders (distal osteolysis in the left after a major acj rupture when i was 17 and recurrent acj trouble in my right).

has anyone used both the slingshot and the metal catapult? im leaning towards the catapult as i can get it easier over here in europe, and it isnt quite as garish, but ive read some really poor reviews of metal wraps so im dubious.[/quote]

I tried both this past Bench Day. The Sling Shot is much more comfortable material and just feels better in general to me. But, the Catapult did offer more support off the chest. Just a matter of preference. Either will easily do the job I just didn’t like the material the Catapult is made from.

cheers mate, slingshot it is, i like the idea of the reactive with less support anyway

Slingshot can give you upwards of a 60% boost. My max has been stalled @ 425. Check this video out where I have utilized the Slingshot to hit 495 {Hokiepride 495lbx1 Slingshot Bench - YouTube}. Very useful too. This was post a warmup, 135x30, 225x20, 315x10, 405x3, Slingshot Reps: 455x1, 475x1, 495x1.

[quote]viper0213 wrote:
Slingshot can give you upwards of a 60% boost.[/quote]

What do you mean by ‘boost’ V, V, 10-15% is generally what everyone gets with these things in terms of added weight to the bar.

how does a slingshot compare to reverse band benches? Left my commercial gym for my garage setup and that’s one thing Ive lost access to, at least temporarily. Might be easier to just get a slingshot instead of getting a reverse band setup working.

Depends on the amount of band tension obviously but, it is essentially the same effect bit, alot easier to set up

I like it more than reverse bands because you feel the full weight of the bar through the whole movement.

After trying the Slingshot and Titan Super Ram, I opted for the Super Ram. Just a better design. The sleeves are constructed separately and are facing forward. This setup is anatomically correct to the movement and is almost like wearing a loose bench shirt. All the other designs (Bench Daddy, Metal, Slingshot) are just a big strip of material, folded over and sewn. Have used my Titan Super Ram to work through injury and overload the top end. I get about 60-70 lbs extra on a 1RM. The Ram is just a superior product, IMO.

Got my dad one for his birthday to help save his shoulders (he just turned 50), was using it with him during a bench session the other day and became a believer. I really like the fact that it allows me to get weights in my hands that I wouldn’t normally want to risk training alone. My last raw gym max was 245; hit 300 in the red slingshot and it rocketed right up. Loved how it forced me to stay tight and focus on pulling with my lats, too. Plan on buying one when I get settled in my new digs.

i use a titan ram, great for overloading, and extra reps, and yes getting around shoulder injuries.

OK let me ask a total Noob question. I have a lot to learn about powerlifting and training. If you are using a device to help you move weight you can’t raw. What is the training benefit for the raw lifter when competition time comes. I am really curious about this. I am 41 and my shoulders always hurt for a day or two after I bench.

[quote]BDJBoston wrote:
OK let me ask a total Noob question. I have a lot to learn about powerlifting and training. If you are using a device to help you move weight you can’t raw. What is the training benefit for the raw lifter when competition time comes. I am really curious about this. I am 41 and my shoulders always hurt for a day or two after I bench.

[/quote]

One thing it does is allow you to hold weights in your hands that you wouldn’t be able to normally, increasing confidence and stability. Another thing it does is force you to stay tight and “pull” the weight down with your lats, which is good for both raw and geared lifters based on everything I’ve seen, read, and experienced (staying tight makes my raw bench much safer and more stable, and provides a solid platform to push off of; pulling the bar down to my chest and keeping my upper back tight allows this)

The other thing it does is force your elbows in, to the point where you may need to take a narrower grip. This takes strain off of your shoulders on the eccentric portion of the lift. On the concentric, or pressing portion, some guys flare their elbows, some don’t. Either way, keeping the bar in a straight path and pressing with a narrower grip/elbows in saves the shoulder.

How does using this actually make you stronger? It seems like it would be like having a spotter help you with the last few reps? Not trying to argue at all, just get more smarter.