Slim's Rippetoe Log

[quote]slimsaw00 wrote:

-Grip is killing my pull, any suggestions?

-Matt[/quote]

Mixed grip? I hear it recommended a lot for grip issues. I’m going to try it on my next Dead day. I noticed on my 210 that my grip was starting to feel a little weak. If you figure out something good ,let me know.

[quote]slimsaw00 wrote:

-Grip is killing my pull, any suggestions?

-Matt[/quote]

I am about to post my latest session, but I just had the same problem. I was DL’ing 210 lbs and only got 4 reps, but because of the grip, otherwise my back was fine.

If you find a solution, let me know as well!!

Hey man! Great log. I thought I’d chime in here.

You mentioned a grip issue. Are you being sure to deload after every rep; that is, put the bar back on the floor? I can see the grip being an issue for 235 IF you’re constantly holding the weight, but if you’re deloading it shouldn’t really be a problem.

And yes, the mixed grip WILL help.

[quote]dharmabum31 wrote:
Hey man! Great log. I thought I’d chime in here.

You mentioned a grip issue. Are you being sure to deload after every rep; that is, put the bar back on the floor? I can see the grip being an issue for 235 IF you’re constantly holding the weight, but if you’re deloading it shouldn’t really be a problem.

And yes, the mixed grip WILL help.[/quote]

Thanks for the input man! What I do is this. Setup for my 1st rep and go for it, then proceed to set the bar on the mat and re-grip the bar after each rep. I tried a single rep with a mixed grip and it felt kinda awkward.

-Matt

[quote]slimsaw00 wrote:

Setup for my 1st rep and go for it, then proceed to set the bar on the mat and re-grip the bar after each rep. I tried a single rep with a mixed grip and it felt kinda awkward.

-Matt
[/quote]

Same with me, Matt. I’m thinking it has to do with the wrist? Could it be the wrist can’t handle the increased weight?

I might try the mixed grip as well, but I can see the grip becoming a roadblock as I increase the weight on my deadlift.

hey i just started rippetoe’s starting strength program and i was wondering how much changes youve been seeing in your body. is it getting bigger, more mass, lean, etc?

[quote]seaside wrote:
hey i just started rippetoe’s starting strength program and i was wondering how much changes youve been seeing in your body. is it getting bigger, more mass, lean, etc? [/quote]

Just using the mirror test, I do look bigger and this coincides with seeing some weight gain on the scale. BF% has probably increased a little bit, but since I’m a skinny bastard its okay.

Good luck with Starting Strength!

-Matt

Starting Strength: B

*dynamic warmup

A) Squat
185x5/5/5 (+2 total reps)

B) Row
120x5/5/5 (+1 total rep)

C) OHP
110x 4/4/4 (+1 total rep)

D) Pullups
BWx4/4

*Notes

• This was good! Somebody kinda pissed me off at work so I used that as some incentive in the gym today.

• Squats were f’in hard! haha. Damn I should go on the “see-food” diet just to see if my gains would improve.

• Rows were hard. I really need to focus on squeezing those shoulder blades back.

• Added some pullups today just because. Might not be an everyday thing but I felt like a little bit extra today. I’ll be cautious with this, as I don’t want to mess with the progress on my core lifts.

• Weigh-in tomorrow just as a check.

-Matt

Morning Weigh-in:

167.8 lbs
18.6% BF

Weight is up, as is body-fat percentage. I think that I’m going to start implementing some light conditioning work. I’m not thinking of any type of HIIT, more like a nice incline walk on our treadmill downstairs. If anything it will help with recovery; and nothing wrong with exercising the heart.

-Matt

Starting Strength: A

*dynamic warmup

A) Squat
190x4/4/4 (+5 lbs)

B) Bench
155x4/4/4 (+5 lbs)

C) DL
235x5 (+5 lbs, HELL YEAH!)

D) Dips
BWx8/8

*Notes

• I’ve felt lazy on my dynamic warmups, I need to pay more attention to this.

• Squats were hard, but the bar didn’t feel ridiculous like they have on some days. Let’s nail this on Monday!

• Bench was decent. Didn’t get a spotter, I need to just ask people; shouldn’t be a big issue right?

• FINALLY! I nailed all 5 reps on my pull. The fourth was hard, and after I put the bar down I wiped my hands off (damn sweat) and told myself to go get it! Chalk needs to purchased I’m thinking.

• I added dips and now I wonder why? I’m wondering if some carefully selected accessory PC movements would be better suited to this rather than some simple bodyweight movements. IDK, I’m rambling.

-Matt

Hey I’m back! An illness knocked me out for most of this week, and I wanted to make sure I was over it before hitting the gym again. I tried to go on Tuesday, but on my 2nd warmup set I just didn’t have it. . .so I pulled the plug. Kinda funny being at the gym for like 10 minutes.

Anyway, back to the grind.

Starting Strength: B

*dynamic warmup

A) Squat
170x5/5/5

B) Row
100x5/5/5

C) OHP
95x5/5/5

*Notes/Thoughts

• I wanted to choose a weight that I could nail all the reps. . . I didn’t think it was good to try and grind where I left off, figured that would have been counterproductive. My strength will come back fast if I eat and sleep like its my job.

• Everything was solid. But it is amazing how just a few days can really tap into your conditioning. It was like my mind saying you can do this no problem, but my body was saying “whoa, hold up bud!”

• Quick rebound ahead. . . .

• Oh, and I’m down 4 lbs. . . shit!

-Matt

Starting Strength: A

*dynamic warmup

A) Squat
180x5/5/5

B) Bench
150x5/5/5

C) Deadlift
225x5

*Notes/Thoughts.

• Its amazing how the human body works. After being fully recovered from being sick last week I still find myself somewhat lethargic in the gym. I’ve been sleeping/eating well, but it just shows that it takes time to get back in the game so to speak.

• Everything was solid, considering the fact that I was gassed during this workout. I’m finding that I much rather would lift in the afternoon but my work schedule often prevents that from happening. Damn you retail job! But I’m reminded of Dave Tate’s mantra: either suck it up and do it, or stay home (I’m paraphrasing).

-Matt