T Nation

Slimmer Waist (No Homo) for Males

After inspecting my self in the mirror, i have realized that my midsection is quite wide even though i’m considered to have broad shoulders. Is there anyway to slim down on the waist.

btw i’m at 10% body fat
17 yrs old 172 lbs

Grow Lats, and make your delts bigger?

Stop doing side bends?

Chest and waist measurements? Height?

Since we’re on the topic i figure i should hi jack this thread… how do i make my waist/mid section bigger?

I feel like i’m thicker than I am wide. I’m not talking about lat or shoulder width either.

My shoulders are pretty broad in comparison to my waist.

Does is just come down to working my obliques ?

[quote]poet145x wrote:
btw i’m at 10% body fat[/quote]

How’d you get this number?

Like JN said, some more numbers would help to put this in perspective. How tall are you? What’s your waist size (what pants do you wear without a belt)?

And like Beansy said, the only way to really improve your V-taper, getting that broad upper body-tapering down to a small waist, is to build your shoulders, upper back, and lats, while minimizing fat around the waist.

A current picture (front or back) would help.

[quote]angus_beef wrote:
Since we’re on the topic i figure i should hi jack this thread… how do i make my waist/mid section bigger?

I feel like i’m thicker than I am wide. I’m not talking about lat or shoulder width either.

Does is just come down to working my obliques ?[/quote]

Not sure of the sarcasm-level or spoofiness of this post, but if you’re training for bodybuilding, I’m pretty sure wider waists are never the goal. I can’t think of a bodybuilder who was asymmetrical because their abs/waist weren’t wide enough.

If you’re training for a strength sport, though, then it would come down to heavy ab work of all sorts (crunch variations and twist/rotation variations).

sorry about the lack of information, i don’t really have any pictures to post but

i’m 17 years old,
5 ft. 11 inch.
waist- 30.5 in
shoulders-43 in

[quote]poet145x wrote:
sorry about the lack of information, i don’t really have any pictures to post but

i’m 17 years old,
5 ft. 11 inch.
waist- 30.5 in
shoulders-43 in[/quote]

You don’t have broad shoulders, sorry.

[quote]poet145x wrote:

i’m 17 years old,
5 ft. 11 inch.
waist- 30.5 in
shoulders-43 in[/quote]

43" around the shoulders is actually pretty damn narrow.

Yeah, mine are only 45’’, but then again, my waist is 27.5inches.

Perhaps your bodyfat reading is wrong? Anyway, work on putting some meat on your shoulders, and your midsection will look slimmer!

[quote]Chris Colucci wrote:

[quote]angus_beef wrote:

Does is just come down to working my obliques ?[/quote]

Not sure of the sarcasm-level or spoofiness of this post, but if you’re training for bodybuilding, I’m pretty sure wider waists are never the goal. I can’t think of a bodybuilder who was asymmetrical because their abs/waist weren’t wide enough.

If you’re training for a strength sport, though, then it would come down to heavy ab work of all sorts (crunch variations and twist/rotation variations).[/quote]

Actually that was a serious question. I want to make my mid section bigger.

I’m training solely for aesthetics.