Slim Up Before Starting Mass Gain?

I’m 6’0" 173 lbs and like everyone else, would like to build some muscle, but not to the meathead level. I gain fat particularly in two places, the gut and under the chin. The under the chin fat drives me crazy, which is why I’m wondering if I should try to loose maybe another 5+ lbs before beginning any serious attempt at mass gain? I absolutely do not want to gain any more body fat in an attempt to bulk up.

Thoughts?

173 @ 6’ id venture to say no, clean up diet work hard add some actual lean tissue to your frame and things will look better evern at the same BF%

Phill

I agree with phil completely.

Even just starting a healthy diet lifestyle eating complete protein each meal with fruit & veg etc. will lean you up some while you start putting on some muscle.

[quote]stormchaser wrote:
but not to the meathead level.

Thoughts?[/quote]

Where exactly is “meathead level” and at 170lbs at 6ft tall, why do you think you would have the genetics to get there even if you tried? Do you currently workout?

I absolutely do not want to gain any more body fat in an attempt to bulk up.
[/quote]

Then you will make minimal gains in muscle at best.

In answer to your question this is a largely personal issue.

It is unlikely that any person can put on any substancial mass without a gain of some fat (although there are always mechanisms to reduce this fat gain).

This becomes a personal issue because if you are that bothered by gaining fat a dieting phase would be highly beneificial. A lot of people when they begin to bulk tend to put on a bit of fat and end up stopping their hypertrophy phase due to fears of being unattractive. So if this is you get a solid diet, the velocity diet is an excellant choice if need result immediately, and get to arround 7.5%-12.5% bodyfat and start your hypertrophy phase.

My personal feelings is that if a person is consistant and dedicated with their conditioning program and diet than they are better off jumping into a mass gaining phase because the potential to burn fat should be significantly better with more quality mass.

Long Live The Body Science

By the way I believe you have used the wrong terminology when you used ‘meathead’ bodybuilding, weightlifting, powerlifting have a long a illustrious history when pertaining to truly inspirational and intelligent people and it is also unfair to undermine the amount of study employed by many people in order to find new ways to maximise the conditioning of their bodies.

Long Live The Body Science

I classify almost every professional bodybuilder as a meathead. Jay Cutler for example. Disgusting. It’s one thing to be healthy, fit and strong, it’s another to be obsessed with it to the extent that you become that large. Do something productive with your life.

Is this for real?

<<< I absolutely do not want to gain any more body fat in an attempt to bulk up.

Thoughts?[/quote]

I absolutely do not want to spend any more money on gas in order to get to work.

Bodybuilding does not mean that you are going to look like Jay Cutler – he is one of the most genetically fit people in the world for becoming large.

You, most likely, are not. You won’t becoming a “Jay Cutler” (or come even close, for that matter) unless you are trying as hard as you can. Whenever I hear anyone throw out the names Coleman and Cutler after talking about not wanting to get huge, I have to question their dedication, given their obvious lack of curiousity regarding bodybuilding.

Many have pursued this sport and become truly impressive (Bob Paris, Bill Pearl, Lee Apperson, just to name a few) while still evoking envy from guys and attraction from gals. You really should reassess whether bodybuilding is for you or not. If it is, expect to rack up some fat pounds in your bulk. And no, don’t cut, first.

I classify almost every professional bodybuilder as a meathead. Jay Cutler for example. Disgusting. It’s one thing to be healthy, fit and strong, it’s another to be obsessed with it to the extent that you become that large. Do something productive with your life.[/quote]

mmm…im sure ull get advice with that kind of attitude.

I classify almost every professional bodybuilder as a meathead. Jay Cutler for example. Disgusting. It’s one thing to be healthy, fit and strong, it’s another to be obsessed with it to the extent that you become that large. Do something productive with your life.[/quote]

I to have an aversion to the size which some modern bodybuilders have reached.

This however does not mean that I cast aspersions upon them. “Let he who hath not sinned throw the first stone”.

The fact that you put these comments in mean that you have no comprehension of any of the physiological and pyschological components in gaining muscles.

Your comments exibit the most fatal flaw. That life is easy

I’m 6’0" 173 lbs and like everyone else, would like to build some muscle, but not to the meathead level…

…Thoughts?[/quote]

Who exactly is “everyone else” and what if some do want a particularly meaty head, as you put it?

Your post smells a bit troll like to me. But just in case it isn’t, start training and when you get to almost meathead level, stop.

This is a favorite quote of mine. From Gironda’s website…

Once he got there Gary saw a photo of Arnold doing a most muscular pose.

Gary Busey: “I don’t want to look like that”

Vince Gironda: “Don’t worry, we’ll stop just before you get to look
like that”.

[quote]scottiscool wrote:

like that”.[/quote]

Totaly off topic, but who the hell thinks Arnold was to big?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
stormchaser wrote:
but not to the meathead level.

Thoughts?

why do you think you would have the genetics to get there even if you tried? Do you currently workout?[/quote]

Damn! Im going to remember this for the next time some one pulls the I dont want to get to big card on me at the gym.

I think you are in the wrong place. You have used your second post to insult half of the T-Nation membership.

If you think you will ever approach the “meathead” level of physique, I am affraid you are worrying about nothing.

At 6’ and 173, exactly when do you consider “doing something with your life” as applying to you?

Seeing your ribs doesn’t make you “cut”, it makes you anorexic. Period.

[quote]n3wb wrote:
scottiscool wrote:

like that”.

Totaly off topic, but who the hell thinks Arnold was to big?

[/quote]

Gary Busey, and pretty much everyone who doesn’t lift weights.