Slightly OT: testicular cancer

Just curious if anyone has ever had a cyst on their testicle. The reason I’m asking is that I had and ultrasound done(about a year ago), after I found a cyst which supposedly was on the epidytimous(sorry about the spelling). Anyway, my urologist told me not to worry about it. My concern is that its NOT on the epidytimous, I can move the epidytimous out of the way and the cyst is definatley on the testicle. The other problem is that the cyst seems to have gotten larger. Can a cyst get inflamed and enlarge? I’m definatley worried that this isn’t a cyst and is testicular cancer since I’m in the prime age group(21). Does anyone have any knowlege of cysts and cancer etc.? This is really starting to bother me, and I’m going for a second opinion. Thanks in advance for anything you guys can tell me.

Have it removed immediately by a doctor more qualified than your current one, and make sure all standard blood tests for testicular cancer are performed.

Take it from a physician who interprets those ultrasounds (1)ultrasound is reliable as to where things are, and what you feel is frequently not reliable (2)cysts can change, get larger, and get inflammed. If you are uncertain ask to have the ultrasound repeated. Tell your doc that you feel someting new and that you really want another ultrasound.

GET A SECOND OPINION!! Cancer is not something you can afford to screw around with.

A cyst can easily, and most often does, enlarge. That kind of thing is common, so don’t lose sleep over it. But definitely get the second opinion.

Good for you for not taking your doctor’s word as the final say. It’s important that we take responsibility for our own health. Get a second opinion and make sure you get a proper diagnosis. If your original doctor was wrong, you’ve done alot of good for yourself…if he was right, you can be relieved. Good luck.

Here is some info you may want to read…I always would get a second opinion if I were you…

If you find a lump, see a doctor, preferably a urologist, right away. The abnormality may not be cancer, it may just be an infection. But if it is testicular cancer, it will spread if it is not stopped by treatment. Waiting and hoping will not fix anything. Please note that free floating lumps in the scrotum that are not attached in any way to a testicle are not testicular cancer. When in doubt, get it checked out - if only for peace of mind!
Other signs of testicular cancer to keep in mind are:

Any enlargement of a testicle
A significant loss of size in one of the testicles
A feeling of heaviness in the scrotum
A dull ache in the lower abdomen or in the groin
A sudden collection of fluid in the scrotum
Pain or discomfort in a testicle or in the scrotum
Blood in the urine
Enlargement or tenderness of the breasts.
I hesitate to mention the following list, since anything out of the ordinary down there should prompt a visit to the doctor, but you should be aware that the following symptoms are not normally signs of testicular cancer:

A pimple, ingrown hair or rash on the scrotal skin
A free floating lump in the scrotum, but not attached to anything
A lump on the epidiymis or tubes coming from the testicle that kind of feels like a third testicle.
Pain or burning during urination
*** Remember, only a physician can make a positive diagnosis ***

For that matter, only a physician can make a negative diagnosis too. If you think something feels strange, go see the doctor!

this is from www.acor.org/TCRC/tcexam.html

For information on a number of related topics, please check out these links:

A variety of good testicular self exam sites on the internet.
A good article on several testicular problems, including illustrations.
Information on a variety of Health Issues affecting Men
Information on Cryptorchidism (Undescended Testicle)
Information on Epididymitis - Infection of the Epididymis
Information on Hernias - Is there an extra lump in your scrotum?
Information on Hydroceles - Extra fluid in the scrotum
Information on Orchitis - A swollen or infected testicle
Information on Scrotal Lumps or Masses
Information on Scrotal Swelling
Information on Spermatoceles - Sperm filled cysts on the epididymis, can feel like a third testicle
Information on Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Information on Testicular Pain
Information on Varicoceles - Vericose veins of the spermatic cord.

Get it checked out. But I have one too. Had it for probably 15 years. Supposedly they’re very common. So don’t worry too much.

Thank you guys(and women) for the info. As I said, I’m definatley going for that second opinion, but thanks to you guys, I’ll probably sleep better tonight.

I discovered the exact same thing a few months ago, and also thought it was testicular cancer. I had an ultra sound done and was told the exact same thing. “Don’t worry avout it, it’s just a benign cyst” Sometimes it aches a bit , I don’t know, the only thing we can do is get a second opinion.

I found a testicular cyst when I was 19, I’m now 25. I was worried shitless!!! I got it checked out and was told the same thing, benign, don’t worry. I was told that if it got larger I could have it removed but I chose not to have a knife anywhere near my nads if it wasn’t absolutely necessary. I just got a checkup with my new Doc and had it checked again. Same 'ol. So here are my thoughts: get a second opinion. If it’s causing pain or growing, I’d get it removed (mine hasn’t grown so I’m not worrying about it). That being said, if the next doc says the same (benign), put your mind at ease. Whenever us guys get something like this, we see our manhood and T levels flash before our eyes, usually thinking the worst. Cysts are really common, on various parts of the body. Have it removed or don’t. Whatever you decide just sit back, take a deep breath and be relieved that your two boys will be around for many years to come.