T Nation

Slight Tilt Decline Bench And Row Technique

CT:

Last night I had some questions pop into my mind when training and wanted to iron it out.

1. When decline benching to max from pins I’m confused on where my finish should be. More out in front is a weaker position but a more natural line…While if I let the bar drift back a bit its a way stronger position through the push to finish

2. On the bent row from pins I pull with the bar gliding thighs to abs, I have a tendency to roll the elbows in and kind of rotate the shoulders out…but I feel the movement is more natural not doing this a keeping elbows out naturally when pulling.

Slight tweaks but they make a difference…

Merci.

Also the wrist tilt on a bench grip…do you press with the wrists fully tilted back or halfway cocked?

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
CT:

Last night I had some questions pop into my mind when training and wanted to iron it out.

1. When decline benching to max from pins I’m confused on where my finish should be. More out in front is a weaker position but a more natural line…While if I let the bar drift back a bit its a way stronger position through the push to finish [/quote]

There should be a slight arc. Not as pronounced as in a flat bench, but it is not a straight line. If you press in a straight line the shoulders are in a weak position at the top which makes the lockout a bit harder.

I KNOW that powerlifters using a bench short press in a straight line, but the bench shirt and emphasis on lockout exercises changes the give a little: the straight line is the shorter press and with their specific equipment and training, it works.

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
2. On the bent row from pins I pull with the bar gliding thighs to abs, I have a tendency to roll the elbows in and kind of rotate the shoulders out…but I feel the movement is more natural not doing this a keeping elbows out naturally when pulling.

Slight tweaks but they make a difference…

Merci. [/quote]

I like that style of rowing better myself: it hits the lats a lot more whereas the elbows out pull will hit the rhomboids and rear delts more.

[quote]brandon76 wrote:
Also the wrist tilt on a bench grip…do you press with the wrists fully tilted back or halfway cocked? [/quote]

I don’t really think about it, but thinking about it I’d say half cocked