T Nation

Slight Incline/Decline Question

Hey CT, got a few questions.

  1. What is the optimal height both movements should be elevated by?

  2. What is the optimal distance from the chest the starting position should be at?

Thanks!

[quote]mmafan wrote:
Hey CT, got a few questions.

  1. What is the optimal height both movements should be elevated by?

  2. What is the optimal distance from the chest the starting position should be at?

Thanks![/quote]

  1. Think it’s a few degrees, roughly a 15kg plate.

  2. 2-3 inches from chest on both, I believe the incline also falls a tad higher on the chest.

[quote]mmafan wrote:
Hey CT, got a few questions.

  1. What is the optimal height both movements should be elevated by?

  2. What is the optimal distance from the chest the starting position should be at?

Thanks![/quote]

  1. I use a 25 and a 10lbs plate… it comes up to about 2’’ … up to 3’’ is fine, more than that and it is harder to keep the leg on the floor and drive roperly as well as to take a proper ‘‘chest tilted upwards’’ position.

  2. I use several height. But starting just below the mid-point is effective. As you get better you can start lower.

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]mmafan wrote:
Hey CT, got a few questions.

  1. What is the optimal height both movements should be elevated by?

  2. What is the optimal distance from the chest the starting position should be at?

Thanks![/quote]

  1. I use a 25 and a 10lbs plate… it comes up to about 2’’ … up to 3’’ is fine, more than that and it is harder to keep the leg on the floor and drive roperly as well as to take a proper ‘‘chest tilted upwards’’ position.

  2. I use several height. But starting just below the mid-point is effective. As you get better you can start lower.[/quote]

If I have the option of starting either 2, 3, or 4 inches from my chest, which one would you reccomend? Id like to stick with one for awhile so I can better gauge progress

[quote]mmafan wrote:

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]mmafan wrote:
Hey CT, got a few questions.

  1. What is the optimal height both movements should be elevated by?

  2. What is the optimal distance from the chest the starting position should be at?

Thanks![/quote]

  1. I use a 25 and a 10lbs plate… it comes up to about 2’’ … up to 3’’ is fine, more than that and it is harder to keep the leg on the floor and drive roperly as well as to take a proper ‘‘chest tilted upwards’’ position.

  2. I use several height. But starting just below the mid-point is effective. As you get better you can start lower.[/quote]

If I have the option of starting either 2, 3, or 4 inches from my chest, which one would you reccomend? Id like to stick with one for awhile so I can better gauge progress[/quote]

start with 4’’… after 6-8 weeks you can change the height

CT,

How often are you using a higher pin set up to hit the triceps more? I have not done a set of triceps work in a very long time because it seems slight decline/incline press hit them enough as it is.

[quote]jtbrown0511 wrote:
CT,

How often are you using a higher pin set up to hit the triceps more? I have not done a set of triceps work in a very long time because it seems slight decline/incline press hit them enough as it is.[/quote]

I do from time to time, but rarely now since doing the slight decline with the Dead-Squat bar hits the triceps A LOT more than a regular bar, even with a higher pins setting.

I really need to invest in a Dead-Squat bar…

[quote]jtbrown0511 wrote:
I really need to invest in a Dead-Squat bar…[/quote]

Everybody does

[quote]Christian Thibaudeau wrote:

[quote]jtbrown0511 wrote:
I really need to invest in a Dead-Squat bar…[/quote]

Everybody does[/quote]

lol. true. very true!