Slight Blackout After Deadlifts

I’d take it easy especially lifting by yourself. I saw this happen to a guy deadlifting in a gym on youtube. He basically blacked out and fell backwards while holding the weight luckily people in the gym ran to help him.

I sometimes feel lightheaded after a set of deadlifts. When this happens I hold both arms straight up above my head. The blood running down out of the arms and in to the torso seems to help stabilize my blood pressure and helps to eliminate the light-headedness.

seems like you’ve already got it sorted out, but yeah, i get that too when i try a weight that’s really heavy for me, or when i go for a heavy weight for max reps. Its probably exaggerated by the blood pressure medication as well. deloading is a good plan. strength for the most part is built from reps with good form.

[quote]aeyogi wrote:
I read somewhere that the combination of hyperventilating before a lift and then using the valsalva maneuver can cause a drop in blood pressure after releasing the valsalva. I used to take a lot of deep breaths before a squat or deadlift set to prep for the lift, and invariably I would come close to blacking out after the set. Since I made a conscious effort not to hyperventilate, the situation has greatly improved.[/quote]

I think free divers use this technique for greater time of holding one’s breath. (not valsalva, but hyperventilation prior to the long hold.)

PJs and SEALs as well.

[quote]Culican wrote:
I sometimes feel lightheaded after a set of deadlifts. When this happens I hold both arms straight up above my head. The blood running down out of the arms and in to the torso seems to help stabilize my blood pressure and helps to eliminate the light-headedness.

[/quote]

I’ve seen first aid techniques which recommend lying down with elevated feet. If not possible, sit down and put head between legs. The trick is to get the head as low as possible.

Holding breath: you’re right, don’t hold longer than you have to. Get in position, walk out or grab the bar, breathe deep, then immediately do the movement.