Sleeveless Shirts: Too Intimidating?

I headed over to my college rec center for the first time the other day and I was excited to see how good a free weight room would be. Before I started lifting I checked out both of the weight rooms that are placed above and below one another, and it looked pretty decent.

After 10 minutes of lifting I started to notice how crowded it was, and right as I was heading over to the squat rack a rec center worker told me to take off my head phones.

She told me that I had to put on one of the shirts that they had because the sleeveless shirt that I wore was against their policy because it can “intimidate” others. I was appalled, but I complied to their rules and put on their over sized, damp, piece of shit shirt that they gave to me. I hated it.

Not only was I sweating like a dog, I looked like Hank Hill’s father because of the sheer size of the shirt. I know I have to just ignore the fact that I have to buy 5 new shirts in order to lift, but it just annoys the piss out of me.

This post for the most part was about venting, but I’m thinking about petitioning this rule. Thoughts?

Find another place to lift? Or just get used to their rules, stupid as they may be.

I’d talk to the person in charge. that’s a gay rule for a college gym.

I can’t stand to workout in t-shirts, just don’t breathe well.

this is a rule at your college?

that’s wrong man.

yes, its a stupid rule as RSGZ says…but you should be able to wear your own clothes. unless is has something offensive on it; and even THEN that is debatable. i wear a mudvayne shirt that says “fucking determined” to my gym and no one says shit.

but back to the topic at hand; unless you can afford to buy new clothes and your OK with wearing what they want…i suggest talking to someone higher up. that’s ridiculous.

Ah yes… I’ve been told at my gym that even in shirts with sleeves, I’m just too damn intimidating to the other members. I have to workout in a Northface jacket even in winter… right bastards.

S

what school is this?

Just go to one of those asian t-shirt places that sells 3 t-shirts for 10 bucks. Its a stupid rule but its not really a big deal.

[quote]josh86 wrote:
Just go to one of those asian t-shirt places that sells 3 t-shirts for 10 bucks. Its a stupid rule but its not really a big deal.[/quote]

It is a big deal. Not only does it force you to decrease your own intensity, it creates an environment where no one really tries too hard for fear of “intimidating” someone.

The Q Gym in Texas used to do that. It is designed to make the fat people feel better.

It also makes sure no one ever becomes one of those really big guys who stands out even in the oversized shirt.

I kinda understand when mainstream commercial gyms, targeting the average Joe Deskjob and Annie Housewive, do that. They make their money from selling more memberships and to do that they try to get the sedentary folk who doesn’t work out to sign up.

The truth is that these people really do not want to be there and they are very self-conscious. If they see someone in shape then it will make them even more insecure and they will not want to be there.

If said average Joe/Annie walks into the gym for a visit (before deciding to join or not) and they see these ‘‘intimating in-shape people’’ it will turn them off.

This is truely a sign of how bad our society is. When I was young I LOOKED FOR placed with guys who were in great shape so that I could get motivated and learn from them. But it seems like this doesn’t happen anymore. People simply do not want to be faced with their reality!

Heck, I’m on my honeymoon in Aruba right now and I’ve had several guys with their girlfriends change spot on the beach when I chose to put my chair near them!!!

But to get back to the original point, I understand when commercial gym do this… it’s a business decision; I personaly find it stupid but they at least have their reason.

But at a FREE college gym??? The membership is free, so it’s not like they are going to lose money if a whale decides not to join because of all those intimidating sleeveless people!

[quote]Professor X wrote:
It is a big deal. Not only does it force you to decrease your own intensity, it creates an environment where no one really tries too hard for fear of “intimidating” someone.
[/quote]

X2.

This is just another prime example of the liberal fucking slant in this country, otherwise known as the pussification of America.

These are the same assholes that organize “scoreless soccer games” for fear that a child might get his feelings hurt from losing.

Sorry for the rant but this is the kind of shit that makes me sick to my stomach. You can’t even turn on the TV anymore without some liberal asshole cramming an agenda up our backsides.

[quote]Professor X wrote:
josh86 wrote:
Just go to one of those asian t-shirt places that sells 3 t-shirts for 10 bucks. Its a stupid rule but its not really a big deal.

It is a big deal. Not only does it force you to decrease your own intensity, it creates an environment where no one really tries too hard for fear of “intimidating” someone.

The Q Gym in Texas used to do that. It is designed to make the fat people feel better.

It also makes sure no one ever becomes one of those really big guys who stands out even in the oversized shirt.[/quote]

I agree with X, that rule is bullshit.

To the OP, you said that there were two gyms, one right on top of the other. I’d try the other gym. Sometimes universities will have one gym that is designed for cardio bunnies or people who might feel “intimidated” (whatever the fuck that means) by someone wearing a tank top. And another gym that is more for the serious lifters. Or find out where the sports team train and see if you can lift with them.

The rule is bullshit, but at the same time, I cannot wait until the day when my gym starts complaining about my intimidation of other members. It will be bitter sweet, but mostly just sweet.

[quote]GuerillaZen wrote:
The rule is bullshit, but at the same time, I cannot wait until the day when my gym starts complaining about my intimidation of other members. It will be bitter sweet, but mostly just sweet.[/quote]

never expierenced the tshirt rule… but i have been told to put my shoes back on a few times while squating/deadlifting.

thank god i know lift in a uni gym that has two weights rooms:

one for the cardio bunnies and “dudes” for their curls and Invisible Lat Walks

and

one that is in the basement for the “men”. Outside the door there is a sign that says “If you aren’t going to try, don’t open this door” then when you open the door their is another sign that says “Welcome to hell”

You cant help but get motivated when you enter.

Scott

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

[quote]Sentoguy wrote:
Professor X wrote:
josh86 wrote:
Just go to one of those asian t-shirt places that sells 3 t-shirts for 10 bucks. Its a stupid rule but its not really a big deal.

It is a big deal. Not only does it force you to decrease your own intensity, it creates an environment where no one really tries too hard for fear of “intimidating” someone.

The Q Gym in Texas used to do that. It is designed to make the fat people feel better.

It also makes sure no one ever becomes one of those really big guys who stands out even in the oversized shirt.

I agree with X, that rule is bullshit.

To the OP, you said that there were two gyms, one right on top of the other. I’d try the other gym. Sometimes universities will have one gym that is designed for cardio bunnies or people who might feel “intimidated” (whatever the fuck that means) by someone wearing a tank top.

And another gym that is more for the serious lifters. Or find out where the sports team train and see if you can lift with them.[/quote]

It is a rec center wide rule; there is no difference between gyms. Lifting sleeveless in the athletic room is out of the question as well. Why? Because they have the same fucking rule! I’ve talked to the guys on the football and track team and they can’t wear sleeveless shirts, but for some reason they can wear skin tight underarmour.

Plus, this same rule applies to girls in tank tops… I’m going to find a way to petition this very, very, soon because this is a University of Minnesota wide epidemic.

Edit: Have fun in Aruba Thib and congrats.

[quote]DCubed wrote:
Sentoguy wrote:
Professor X wrote:
josh86 wrote:

It is a rec center wide rule; there is no difference between gyms. Lifting sleeveless in the athletic room is out of the question as well. Why? Because they have the same fucking rule! I’ve talked to the guys on the football and track team and they can’t wear sleeveless shirts, but for some reason they can wear skin tight underarmour.

I’m going to find a way to petition this very, very, soon because this is a University of Minnesota wide epidemic.[/quote]

so they can wear skin tight under armour which probably makes them look far more intimidating that a sleeveless top?

wat about wearing a sleeveless top over some under armour?

Scott

[quote]thosebananas wrote:

so they can wear skin tight under armour which probably makes them look far more intimidating that a sleeveless top?

Scott[/quote]

I wouldn’t go that far. Most of the people I see wearing the tight UnderArmour shirts should wear them much less.

I get what you are saying though. The rule makes no sense at all if you can get around it by wearing something that shows off your body even more.

It sounds like a group of very overweight people put that rule together in a hurry. I also don’t understand that happening on a college campus.

The football team doesn’t have access to another gym?

[quote]Professor X wrote:
thosebananas wrote:

so they can wear skin tight under armour which probably makes them look far more intimidating that a sleeveless top?

Scott

I wouldn’t go that far. Most of the people I see wearing the tight UnderArmour shirts should wear them much less.

I get what you are saying though. The rule makes no sense at all if you can get around it by wearing something that shows off your body even more.

It sounds like a group of very overweight people put that rule together in a hurry. I also don’t understand that happening on a college campus.

The football team doesn’t have access to another gym? [/quote]

i was assuming the college football and track team would be somewhat “big” and therefore look big or bigger in under armour…

i agree about the ppl you generally see wearing under armour, definatly shouldnt be wearing it.

on a side note, does any body find people who “ACTUALLY” train. ie have a goal and train brutally hard to get it, seem less preoccupied with how they look in the gym?

wat about sleeveless underarmour… is that allowed?

wat about sleeveless underarmour… is that allowed? and could u wear a tshirt, then roll up the sleeves?