Sleeping Tips?

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
I think identifying and defining the stress specifically helps. When I have a big meeting or something on the line, I feel a sense of performance anxiety, kind of like sitting in the locker room before a big football game starts. It’s not the idea that I have to perform per se, but maybe potential weak links in my performance can worry me and keep me up.

What helps me is a mental “pep talk”. A coach in my analogy will give a talk, build confidence in his team, remind them of all their practice and preparation and when you hit the field the butterflies turn to energy.

Anyways, I find it helpful to remind myself of how prepared I am, how ready I am, how my event will be a walk in the park.

It helps me to be organized, rehearsed, prepared…ready, what ever that means for you, beyond a doubt. And, if I’m not totally ready, I fix what ever is unprepared until I’m comfortable with it. Then, the activity is my cakewalk to make and it’s waiting for me, not the other way around.

Also, ambien. Or nyquil. No doubt unhealthy for regular use but for random sleepless nights they are each certainly helpful and stronger than melatonin by a long shot.
[/quote]

That’s a very good idea.

That’s the frustrating thing for me - I recognize that it’s totally mental. It’s overcoming that piece that I need to do, and this might be a good way to go about it.

But I know that if my mind can keep me up all night, it can also be turned off no matter what as well.[/quote]

Irish did you say a smartphone keeps you up?? lol man I thought you were anti-technology, rockin the flip phone!

I have the same problem though. staying off my phone, taking ZMA, having some cottage cheese and a casein shake then going straight to bed and listening to music (rather than the din going on in my head) helps.

Well Irish,

How did it go?

And Derek, I don’t catch your reference but then I havn’t seen SNL in a loooong time. What is that characters name so I can youtube?

I used to have lots of trouble with falling asleep, with or without the stress the next day.

Stuff I do to help:
Go to bed at the same time everyday.
Try to avoid working out near the end of my day.
Shut everything down a couple of hours before bed(this can be a tough one for me)
Ear plugs(the wax ones)
Black out curtains
Shower before bed

Also melatonin + masturbation = coma :smiley:

Hard to say don’t stress about not sleeping so maybe try just accepting that you wont be getting enough the day before an important day and be prepared. It’ll suck not getting enough sleep but you can handle it. :slight_smile:

a lot of shitty carbs and/or a really hot bath knocks me right out.

never taken it but Z12 seems to have very good feedback

Cease drinking water 2 hrs + before bed. If you train in the evening, try to do some cardio to cool down/calm down.

Sex, carbs obviously, depending on physique goals/ available women

Read before bed!!! Do not use computer or watch TV right before bed!!!

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]bcingu wrote:
Have sex / masturbate[/quote]

And then do it again, with a shot of whiskey and some benadryl.[/quote]

lol, I was going to suggest a whiskey and a sleeping pill too. That normally works for me.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
Well Irish,

How did it go?

And Derek, I don’t catch your reference but then I havn’t seen SNL in a loooong time. What is that characters name so I can youtube?[/quote]

Stuart Smiley it was probably before your time, I doubt your parents let you stay up to watch. :slight_smile:

[quote]Gambit_Lost wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]bcingu wrote:
Have sex / masturbate[/quote]

And then do it again, with a shot of whiskey and some benadryl.[/quote]

lol, I was going to suggest a whiskey and a sleeping pill too. That normally works for me. [/quote]

This may work, just be careful.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
Well Irish,

How did it go?

And Derek, I don’t catch your reference but then I havn’t seen SNL in a loooong time. What is that characters name so I can youtube?[/quote]

Stuart Smiley it was probably before your time, I doubt your parents let you stay up to watch. :)[/quote]
Haha, I’ve found some hilarious clips. You old people are funny! He beat “The Secret” by decades. What a crock.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
Well Irish,

How did it go?

Stuart Smiley it was probably before your time, I doubt your parents let you stay up to watch. :)[/quote]
Haha, I’ve found some hilarious clips. You old people are funny! He beat “The Secret” by decades. What a crock.[/quote]

One thing I learned in my early 20’s is to listen to people older and wiser than me.

Now that I am older I see the same shit repeat itself, hard to be surprised about anything anymore.

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
Well Irish,

How did it go?

Haha, I’ve found some hilarious clips. You old people are funny! He beat “The Secret” by decades. What a crock.[/quote]

One thing I learned in my early 20’s is to listen to people older and wiser than me.

Now that I am older I see the same shit repeat itself, hard to be surprised about anything anymore.

[/quote]I don’t understand, Yoda.

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:

[quote]Derek542 wrote:

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
Well Irish,

How did it go?

[/quote]I don’t understand, Yoda.
[/quote]

[quote]HoustonGuy wrote:
.[/quote]

[quote]FightinIrish26 wrote:
I’ve noticed that many times, when I have something important going on in the morning or an appointment of some sort, I seem to get some anxiety and have a hell of a time falling asleep… something in my head is trying to screw me from being either on time or not a zombie when I get there, I guess.

Any tips on how to cope with this? Relaxation techniques that have worked for you? Things not to do?

Normally melatonin will help me go out but there are times when that shit is like shooting a BB gun at a freight train and it makes no difference. [/quote]

I sleep decently but when I have something on in the morning, BOOM - awake all night. Traditionally people will tell you to go to bed early to have “an early night” if you have something on the next day. This is a death sentence & you will be tossing & turning all night. What has helped me IMMENSELY is to stay up fairly late, later than usual and watch a movie or a few episodes of your favourite show. I’d rather go to bed at 3am and get 4-5 hours of sleep than going early & staring at the ceiling all night.

This is anecdotal and is most definitely a your milage may vary kind of thing but; if you are the type of person that can lives on coffee it may be in your interest to drink a half a cup or a small cup of tea an hour or so before you turn in.

I know the usual line of thought is to avoid caffeine in general, and especially if you have sleep issues, but coffee has an essential nutrient. I don’t know what its called but it seems to bolster respect for human life. Unless you can cut out all contact with annoying assholes than I say keep the joe.

I have had decent success doing this. The trick is to only have a bit of coffee or tea (I like tea because I can just make one cup) when you can tell you are sort of wired/jittery and shouldn’t be. It might be worth a shot.

I am a big fan of breathing exercises in general, but they have never “helped” with insomnia much for me. Just getting shit done so there is less on my mind works better than any of the forced relaxation methods I have used.

Again, your milage may very.

People who look you in the eye and suggest you quit drinking coffee are dirty communists who hate loyal pets and The Baby Jesus.

Regards,

Robert A