T Nation

Sleeping Pills

whoever said they took trazadomes you should take seroquel its an anti-psychotic with amazing sedative qualites that actually cause you to hallucinate 5 minutes before you pass out in the deepest most intense sleep/dreaming state you could imagine

with melatonin i dont really feel drowsy but after taking it for a couple of weeks it has helped me establish natural sleep patterns i dunno if that helps but thats how it has effected me

Here’s a neat one for you, you do pick up some things working in a vitamin/supplement store.

Most Melatonin is synthetic, and only some are the real thing. You can buy it in the same places, just ask for pure non-synthetic. Another way to tell is they come with more virulent warnings on the label, like “do not take for more than 9 days” or something like that. I think this would work the best for you, but I would only take it once in a while. It makes sense that melatonin could mess up your normal melatonin production. Give it a year or two and this stuff will be off the shelves, perscription only. Just a guess…
That’s my 2 cents.

McBain

[quote]Alpha F wrote:
911 Girl wrote:
I take Melatonin and Valerian Root. Valerian helps me relax(turn off the chatter) and Melatonin helps me stay asleep. I do on occasion have some really wacked dreams, but those are usually attributed to work situations. One really can’t expect a good days sleep after doing telephone CPR on your good friend and mentor.

Hi 911 Girl,

I used to take Melatonin on “overdid the stimulant” days. My dosage was between 1 to 3 g. What is your max dose and do you know any site I can order from? Can’t get it in London. A friend in LA used to send me some.

[/quote]

I take 2- 1g tabs with 400mg Valerian root. You can get the two combined, but often all I want is the V-root. So I purchase them separately. I can get it at my local grocery. I have used medicineshoppe.com with good results, but I live in the U.S. I will also pop a second dose if I wake before 6 hours. I haven’t noticed any ill affects, but don’t take them more than a couple times a month. For the most part my workouts do the job when it comes to getting myself to sleep.

[quote]rockhard_4eva wrote:
3 grams, holy mother I didnt think it came in that amount.

I love GABA, melatonin and ZMA. I have a lot of problems with stress and outside noise that make it hard to sleep. Taking those 3 makes me really drowsy and its really nice to have no problem sleeping. In my experience, melatonin doesnt make me drowsy, it just helps me too sleep longer.[/quote]

What is GABA? Is it Kava Kava as known in the states?? I suffer extreme depression and insomnia and RLD (REQUIP does not help that for me) and cannot find a combo that that will make me drowsy enough to sleep and keep my legs still and comfortable. Any ideas?

[quote]rjrjr17 wrote:
rockhard_4eva wrote:

I love GABA, melatonin and ZMA. I have a lot of problems with stress and outside noise that make it hard to sleep. Taking those 3 makes me really drowsy and its really nice to have no problem sleeping. In my experience, melatonin doesnt make me drowsy, it just helps me too sleep longer.

What is GABA? Is it Kava Kava as known in the states?? I suffer extreme depression and insomnia and RLD (REQUIP does not help that for me) and cannot find a combo that that will make me drowsy enough to sleep and keep my legs still and comfortable. Any ideas?

[/quote]

Well, if you have extreme depression, insomnia and restless leg syndrome, there really ain’t anything OTC or ‘‘natural’’ that will be powerful enough to do that kind of job.

For your RLS, there are other treatment venues other than Dopamine Agonists.

Dopaminergic Agent
Benzodiazepines
Opiods
Anti-convulsivants
Presynaptic alpha2-adrenergic agonists

http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/topic509.htm

Of course, opiods to a depressed individual might be a risky thing.

Anyway, RLS is a hard problem to treat.

I hope you improve.
AlexH.

Melatonin works for me, but if I’m really stressed out, then the mood next day is not the best.

I’ve found kava-kava to be just as efficient, with the added benefit of an excellent mood afterwards. You can find it in pretty much any drug store.

Take it 30 minutes before you go to bed.

GABA is gamma amino-butyric acid. It stimulates a release of GH(which you do naturally during sleep anyway, this will boost it), and helps you get more restful ‘quality’ sleep. Problem is you have to take it in large doses, like 4 grams or more. And the problem with THAT is, you can have an allergic reaction to it.

I was using it this past summer, and it worked great for the first 4-5 days. Then one night about 30 minutes after I took it, I felt vertigo, my whole body felt flushed and tingly(not in a good way). The symptoms went away, but did it again the next time I took it, so I quit. But the reaction shouldn’t be very severe, just the discomfort I described. BTW, I had that reaction on 4.5 grams dosage.

I agree fully with Dandalex,well put.

[quote]Dandalex wrote:
rjrjr17 wrote:
rockhard_4eva wrote:

I love GABA, melatonin and ZMA. I have a lot of problems with stress and outside noise that make it hard to sleep. Taking those 3 makes me really drowsy and its really nice to have no problem sleeping. In my experience, melatonin doesnt make me drowsy, it just helps me too sleep longer.

Well, if you have extreme depression, insomnia and restless leg syndrome, there really ain’t anything OTC or ‘‘natural’’ that will be powerful enough to do that kind of job.

For your RLS, there are other treatment venues other than Dopamine Agonists.

Dopaminergic Agent
Benzodiazepines
Opiods
Anti-convulsivants
Presynaptic alpha2-adrenergic agonists

http://www.emedicine.com/neuro/topic509.htm

Of course, opiods to a depressed individual might be a risky thing.

Anyway, RLS is a hard problem to treat.

I hope you improve.
AlexH.[/quote]