Sleeping Aids: Time for Z-12?

melatonin works well for me however I do not take it every night. I only take it when I feel like I am not tired at all. When you use it every day, it starts to loose its effect.

To the OP:

Ultimately, you’re going to have to address the underlying issue that is keeping you awake/preventing you from falling asleep. In this case, it’s addressing your underlying anxiety. Approaching it from that route will do much more for you, especially in the long rn that any suppliment alone can do.

I agree with SleepyLifter address the initial problem, maybe try and meditate in the evening to calm your mind, it maybe all you need to sleep well.

GIve ZMA a try though

What works great for me when my mind is racing is to spend 10 minutes writing down what I’m thinking/worried about. Don’t structure what you write.

In your case it might be:

“I’m not sure I understand what we did today”
"I understand what we did, but I can’t stop thinking about it. [that happens to me too, I think it’s part of how I learn, but I can do it as I drift off].
“I have to read Ch 12 tomorrow”
“I don’t want to go into the lab tomorrow”
“I need more money”

It stops the stupid chatter, and you can look at what you wrote in the morning and decide what (if anything) you should do about your worries when you’re well rested.

Of course, make sure you stay with your workouts!

Steady cardio and sprintwork work best for anxiety if lifting doesn’t calm you down.

I have a problem falling asleep as well, and I know my sister has it too (she has pills to help her fall asleep, im not sure what they are i’ve never asked). My problem is like a inner dialogue though, my head always want to think about random crap and imagine stuff when what I really want is to sleep.

I would also look into getting a new mattress if you haven’t had yours changed out in a few years. I turned my mattress over the other day and it was a lot more comfortable, so your mattress might be bad. Not saying this is the problem, but if you’ve tried other stuff, this is worth looking into. A good mattress makes a lot of difference.

I have been using ZMA for a while now and have had really good results. I take it about 30 minutes before bed and it really relaxes my muscles (especially b/c I workout at night).

^Yeah I have gone through a couple of bottles od ZMA. Like I previously stated, it worked weel for about a week, and no matter how long I stay off of it (6 weeks+), if I take it again, it doesnt seem to do anything.

I have tried melatonin, doesnt work for me.

Thanks for the input guys, I dont want to seem like I am just shooting down your advice, just clearing things up.

Sometimes anxiety definately seems to be the issue, the more I think about it, but sometimes, I am dog tired, have no anxiety, and I will lie in bed with my mind running through all the calculus or physics problems I have been doing that day. And this is stuff I know, but it just seems like some days, when I go to school and do homework for about 16-18 hours a day, my mind just wont stop, regardless if I feel no anxiety and extremely tired.

I feel that the Z-12 will work fairly well for the anxiety, due to the way it relaxes me, but after taking it I still dont feel “sleepy”, though I feel tired, if that makes sense. I want to sleep, and I feel like I should be able to sleep, but it just doesnt happen.

My average day starts at 0700, school, the gym, labs and homework until about 2000, then I get in bed by 2200, so that gives me 8 hours of potential sleep, until I get up around 6. Thats about every day, with some days being school, gym, homework from 0700 to midnight.

Thanks again for all the help guys, I am very willing to try new things, so keep them coming.

[quote]smithers584 wrote:
^Yeah I have gone through a couple of bottles od ZMA. Like I previously stated, it worked weel for about a week, and no matter how long I stay off of it (6 weeks+), if I take it again, it doesnt seem to do anything.

I have tried melatonin, doesnt work for me.

Thanks for the input guys, I dont want to seem like I am just shooting down your advice, just clearing things up.

Sometimes anxiety definately seems to be the issue, the more I think about it, but sometimes, I am dog tired, have no anxiety, and I will lie in bed with my mind running through all the calculus or physics problems I have been doing that day. And this is stuff I know, but it just seems like some days, when I go to school and do homework for about 16-18 hours a day, my mind just wont stop, regardless if I feel no anxiety and extremely tired.

I feel that the Z-12 will work fairly well for the anxiety, due to the way it relaxes me, but after taking it I still dont feel “sleepy”, though I feel tired, if that makes sense. I want to sleep, and I feel like I should be able to sleep, but it just doesnt happen.

My average day starts at 0700, school, the gym, labs and homework until about 2000, then I get in bed by 2200, so that gives me 8 hours of potential sleep, until I get up around 6. Thats about every day, with some days being school, gym, homework from 0700 to midnight.

Thanks again for all the help guys, I am very willing to try new things, so keep them coming.[/quote]

I have also tried both melatonin and ZMA and neither seem to do anything either. I also have some anxiety that I feel doesn’t help much either, but as you stated sometimes Im not anxious i just cant fall asleep. The same thing also with the physics,calculus problems.

There are night where I keep waking up and have trouble falling back asleep because I keep trying to solve a problem sub consciously in m head. It is very annoying.

Tetrahydrocannabinol, maybe? Don’t smoke it though, smoking is baddddddddd