T Nation

Sleeping After Workout

After your workout would it be ok just to go right for a nap? Just have your pwo shake at them gym and nap. The reason I ask is lets say you sleep for 2 hours…that’s 2 hours you could have been eating. I worked out twice today and I was just dead after my second workout. I was to tired to eat.

What, you eat for two hours solid ?

Eat more than a shake, have shake, wait 20 mins eat again, solid food then nap, how’s that working for you, should do.

This is what I do. I train, have PWO and then take a quick shower and take a 30 min. power nap. after that and this would be 45 min. after I train I have a huge dinner. it works great for me and I feel great after the shower and nap.

It has even been a cool tip takeing naps is great for you and can be great after a workout.

i think i read on Defranco’s website that he reccomends a 2 or 3 hour nap following postworkout nutrition, not sure where i saw it maybe in the Q and A section

Napping is a bad idea PWO if you’re spiking insulin. This can result in a drop in blood sugar, and all of the unpleasantness that comes with it (including a catabolic hormonal cascade).

Sometimes, I am so beat that I crash on the couch for 10-20 minutes before PWO. I sleep hard & fast. Then I can get up to make a PWO shake & get back to work.

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Napping is a bad idea PWO if you’re spiking insulin. This can result in a drop in blood sugar, and all of the unpleasantness that comes with it (including a catabolic hormonal cascade).[/quote]

David Barr to the rescue.
He’s like that guardian angel in the television commercials…Only He’s Paying Attention!

Thanks Mr. Barr!

[quote]David Barr wrote:
Napping is a bad idea PWO if you’re spiking insulin. This can result in a drop in blood sugar, and all of the unpleasantness that comes with it (including a catabolic hormonal cascade).[/quote]

I need some clarity on this statement because it is very important for all to understand. If 2 servings of Surge are drank during and right after your workout (assuming this provides enough of an anticatabolic boost), you should not sleep for any designated time period, or you can sleep for up 90-120minutes and then get up and eat another meal. Is the fact that the individual sleeps cause changes in metabolism or the individual has to consume nutrients at a designated time period after the workout in which sleeping would overlap.

How about if the individual ingested some oats or added some fiber and had some metabolic drive to have slower digestion after the workout. would it be ok to nap then?

I just want to know because i sometimes workout late and then have to sleep within the hour. laters pk

[quote]pkradgreek wrote:
I need some clarity on this statement because it is very important for all to understand. If 2 servings of Surge are drank during and right after your workout (assuming this provides enough of an anticatabolic boost), you should not sleep for any designated time period, or you can sleep for up 90-120minutes and then get up and eat another meal. Is the fact that the individual sleeps cause changes in metabolism or the individual has to consume nutrients at a designated time period after the workout in which sleeping would overlap.[/quote]

Good question. The combination of working out and Surge will drop your blood sugar such that you’d need food within 45 minutes of the drink. If one isn’t spiking insulin then sleep isn’t a big deal.

Sounds good!