T Nation

Sleeping after lifting

First off, I’m new to this place, so hello to you all.

I know, I know, sleeping soon after lifting is a bad idea.

Since lots of repair is done when sleeping, would there be some time after lifting that it would be a good idea?

Example: Lift, eat post-workout meal, eat some more, and then maybe a few hours later take a three hour nap.

What do you guys think of this? Or what would be a good time after a workout to sleep, assuming it would be a good idea in the first place?

Take care,
Neil

Man alive, I would love to be able to get a nice nap in after a lifting session, it takes me forever to wind down. I see it very beneficial to take a nap after lifting, and if you get the chance, I would suggest doing so. I dont see it hurting you granted you trained hard, and did not over replenish your system.

G-Dogg, welcome to the Nation! I would like to answer your questions with a question of my own relative to a statement you made:

Would you care to elaborate on why you feel this is true or the physiological basis behind it?

Yes, it may be a bad idea if you’re supposed to be at work or class. In addition, I know that I’ve usually got some endorphins or catecholamines kickin’ that prohibit me from dozing off during my drive home…But I’m not certain that I’m clear on your proposal.

As long as sleep isn’t cutting into your scheduled eating times, what better way to spend your post-workout time? I wish I could do that. Get some extra zzz’s for me, would ya?

Sleeping immediately after a workout is one of the BEST things you can do.

I heard that sleeping for like 20 min. after your workout is a very good idea.
Will42

Absolutely. I do it all the time. Lifting inevitably takes so much out of me, I have to.

DI

I typically pop 4 MD6 and then take a nap.

Wow a response from Chad… I would agree will all of the above sleeping after working out is a good thing.

In Health,

Silas C.

Listen to Chad Waterbury: he's one of T-Mag's Gurus.

I usually work out at night (Im usually done by 10-11 pm). I get my pw shake, maybe an extra meal if Im awake an hour later, and sleep like a rock.

While you're usually more alert for a period of time after working out, I find that I fall asleep much faster and sleep MUCH better. Nothing like hitting the sheets after a heavy leg workout.

I usually take a post w/o shake, shower, and a 30 min nap after training.

Yes sleeping after a workout is a good thing. Now go do it.

Let’s say you took some EC before working out, had 90 min insane weightlifting session, 45 min cardio, ate your postworkout and additional two solid meals within the next 2-3 hours. This is my typical scenery. How do you manage to fall asleep?!? I realize my body is tired but my mind is racing!

I’d love to always be able to sleep after a workout. In fact I’d rather do nothing but eat, sleep and lift (well maybe 1 other thing…Fill it in yourself), but life gets in the way. Cop as many zzzz’s as you can (provided it doesn’t interfere with your nightly sleep) because if you don’t you’ll get tired and fall asleep at the most inopportune …ZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz