T Nation

sleep

Because of my hectic schedule I have to work out late. I work out for an hour sometimes as late as 10:00. By the time I finish, consume post-workout meal, cool down and relax enough to get to sleep it’s usually close to midnight or later. I also have to be up by 5:30 the next morning. On weekend I really can’t catch up on sleep, becuase I work another job on Saturdays and the kids are up early anyway.

I work out 3 days a week, I don’t have specific days, but allow at least one day rest in between. Given that I only get 5-6 hours of sleep a night should I be worried about over-training or injuries? Is my body getting enough repair time?

I also consume at least my body weight in protein (grams to lbs) every day. Sorry the post ran long, I appreciate any input.

I don’t know if you will overtrain or not. Keep monitoring how you feel, whether or not your strength decreases, if you get too tired during the day, etc.,

Just monitor it.

I have a couple suggestions that might work well. I haven’t done these yet but I’m going on vacation in a few weeks in the wilderness so there won’t be a gym around. I’m planning on working out what I can.

Things like Push ups, sit ups, bench dips, lunges, calf raises on a step, and maybe some pull ups if I can find a spare tree limb to hang off of.

Maybe do some of these if you can during the day instead of going to the gym so that you can get more sleep.

BTW, has T-mag done a article about training on the road without a gym?

hope that helps,

walleye

PS. Yes my vacation will be doing walleye fishing :wink:

never knew walleye was a fish, i always read your name as ‘whale eye’

i think you can function on 5-6 hrs of sleep just fine, i doubt you’ll over train if you’re only going to the gym 3x a week for an hr. try taking ZMA before bed.